• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Can Christians divorce?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Jesus_is_Saint, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,953
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    If not in love, then in hatred = unforgiveness.

2. Cnnsdc63

Cnnsdc63 New Member

+28
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Do you feel Jesus forgives unforgiveness? Is their anything else Jesus left out on the cross? Is their condemnation in Christ?

3. Dave L

+2,953
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    If Christ forgave you, you will forgive others. If you don't it's probable that your faith is in vain.

4. PaulCyp1

PaulCyp1 Well-Known Member Supporter

+471
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Not in the original and true Christian Church, to which Jesus Christ promised the fullness of truth. In His Church, the solemn vows which a man and woman exchange before God and His Church - "in good times and bad, in sickness and in health, until death do us part" are binding until the death of one of the couple.

5. JacobKStarkey

JacobKStarkey Well-Known Member

+698
    United States
    Methodist
    Married
    Some people here seem to misunderstand James totally.

And not one, no, God forbid, not one here, can say where Jesus said divorce was not permitted. Not one.

6. greenguzzi

greenguzzi Post-Evangelical, Social Anarchist, One of The Way

+698
    Australia
    Protestant
    Married
    AU-Greens
    You are changing the subject.
    Also in Hebrews 10:
    "...we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."
    I can play scripture ping pong too.

It's clear when comparing this verse with Matthew 18:21 onwards that this isn't a conditional clause.

Yeah, he's good at that I see.

7. NothingIsImpossible

NothingIsImpossible Well-Known Member

+2,837
    Christian
    Married
    Legally and "Free Will" wise, yes.

Biblically, no.

People often use the scriptures where people approach Jesus and come up with new reasons to see if He will allow divorce. People take that is literally "See, He said I can!". Like many things in the bible its used as a parable (to teach a lesson). The lesson being people will come up with excuse, loophole, reason to ignore scripture and instead do what they want. I mean we humans are very stubborn at times.

The next issue is if you do divorce then you cannot marry again. Bible says you and your ex-spouse will be in sin then since you still belong to each other.

This is where the stubbornness part of His parable comes back into play. People will say "Why is it my fault if my ex wanted to divorce me?" or "Why should I be stuck single?". See, we find reasons to twist anything we can to get our way.

The real issue is God didn't create us to marry. Thats not the point of our existence in this life. We are to spread the Word at this point. We are to praise Him. Marriage is just a part of life we can choose to do or not. Just like having kids, having a nice paying job, having a home...etc are all optional things in life. They are not important in the long run.

Because when we die, none of this stuff matters. In heaven we are no longer married to our spouse. Our kids aren't "our kids". Our pets are not there. Are wealth isn't there.

This is the hard part of being a christian. Accepting its not about us and what we want. Its about what He wants. Trust me it took me a long time to accept that too.

8. Dave L

+2,953
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Besides unforgiveness, where do you find divorce as an option for believers in the New Covenant?

9. Blade

Blade Veteran Supporter

+1,433
    Christian
    Married
    Wow..lol...really helped that person. YES YOU CAN.. NO YOU CANT..

You read you study.. you find out what GOD wants in your life. Not what ANYONE says. As you can see so far its just been confusing. Which GOD is NOT part of.

If you have done it.. just confess it repent.. go on with life.

10. CGB3928

CGB3928 New Member

+15
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    They can. Should they is a totally different question. To me unless infidelity is involved, there should be no reason why 2 bible reading God fearing married Christians can't work out there issues. If they can't then one of those Christians is in a terrible cycle of backsliding

11. nanookadenord

nanookadenord Well-Known Member

+421
    Episcopalian
    Single
    Moving three goal posts again .

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  12. NW82

NW82 Quote scripture or your argument is invalid.

+459
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    US-Libertarian
    You need to show scripture for that.

13. greenguzzi

greenguzzi Post-Evangelical, Social Anarchist, One of The Way

+698
    Australia
    Protestant
    Married
    AU-Greens
    The whole concept of marriage in the NT is different than it is today. In the NT marriage is discouraged and frowned upon, and wives were just for making (male) babies. Women had moved on from being property, but not by much.
    Our concept of marriage has changed, our understanding of women has changed. So it's not easy to unravel what the NT is saying about divorce today. I guess if I were living in a Mennonite community I could easily apply the literal NT "rules" about divorce. But I don't, so I can't.

14. nanookadenord

+421
    Episcopalian
    Single
    Where is divorce equals forgiveness in scripture?

I have asked multiple times and have yet to see you produce scripture that verifies your claim. So all it becomes is your opinion..

15. Dave L

+2,953
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    If not done in love = hatred = sin

16. Dave L

+2,953
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    So let's throw the bible away since the culture has changed?

17. Dave L

+2,953
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Read Matthew 19:9 carefully. It's all there.

18. Dave L

+2,953
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Can you prove your position from scripture?

19. nanookadenord

+421
    Episcopalian
    Single
    I don't need to. The burden is yours to prove.

20. nanookadenord

+421
    Episcopalian
    Single
    You are really good at moving those goalposts and avoiding the real answer to my question