Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Pagan marriages are valid according to scripture. And any divorce and remarriage is adultery. Married = married for life regardless.

Thanks for re-expressing your view. Could you comment on the pastoral implications of the above scenario? What are our moral obligations to each other? If you're our pastor, how would you council us to move forward?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for re-expressing your view. Could you comment on the pastoral implications of the above scenario? What are our moral obligations to each other? If you're our pastor, how would you council us to move forward?
Marriage is for life. Divorce = unforgiveness and is not included as an option under the NT. And any subsequent remarriage is adultery.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Divorce = unforgiveness. Remarriage after divorce = adultery.

Do you have scripture that says that?

I was divorced by my ex-wife, she said I didn't make her happy. She has since started living with another boyfriend. We're amicable and rarely have issues.

I have forgiven her. I don't hold onto unforgiveness as it takes too much energy to do so. Basically it's a grudge. I am quick to forgive.

My ex-wife has forgiven me as well. However, we know that we aren't meant to be together. We're toxic together. So, we will not get back together. There is no such thing as a legal separation in my state.

So, since I am the innocent one in that I didn't divorce her I am indeed going to remarry. I am not going to stay alone the rest of my life because I was divorced by my ex-wife. Divorce is not even the unforgivable sin, nor is remarriage even though some Christians try to make it out to be.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Marriage is for life. Divorce = unforgiveness and is not included as an option under the NT. And any subsequent remarriage is adultery.

I don't think it's necessary to keep expressing your view. We get that this is what you believe. Are you able to actually apply this view to a real life situation like the one I described? Or do you prefer to keep it at the level of a platitude?

Reactions: JacobKStarkey
Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it's necessary to keep expressing your view. We get that this is what you believe. Are you able to actually apply this view to a real life situation like the one I described? Or do you just enjoy platitudes?
I've seen pastors stand firm on this. One Reformed Church I'm familiar with called a synod to settle the matter. About a member who divorced as an unbeliever and wanted to remarry under church membership. They forbid the practice and have a low divorce rate in their membership.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I've seen pastors stand firm on this. One Reformed Church I'm familiar with called a synod to settle the matter. About a member who divorced as an unbeliever and wanted to remarry under church membership. They forbid the practice and have a low divorce rate in their membership.

Forbidding remarriage is one thing. But what about the person who has already remarried? What should they do?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forbidding remarriage is one thing. But what about the person who has already remarried? What should they do?
Personally, I would separate but offer financial support. Just as divorced couples do, only with a loving motive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What if they've been with their new spouse for 10 years and have three kids? Should they still separate and break up their family?
People in this situation divorce for bad reasons all the time. I would divorce for good reasons.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
People in this situation divorce for bad reasons all the time. I would divorce for good reasons.

So your view that divorce is impossible actually leads to more divorce and can lead to an even more devastating situation of breaking up a family with kids. What do you think about how your view leads to some very strange results?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So your view that divorce is impossible actually leads to more divorce and can lead to an even more devastating situation of breaking up a family with kids. What do you think about how your view leads to some very strange results?
It's better for the husband and wife to repent and separate than to live in willful sin. The kids would still have love and support from both.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It's better for the husband and wife to repent and separate than to live in willful sin. The kids would still have love and support from both.

But you said earlier that second marriages were real marriages. You said that people who remarry have multiple spouses. How is it okay to divorce someone who is a real spouse?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But you said earlier that second marriages were real marriages. You said that people who remarry have multiple spouses. How is it okay to divorce someone who is a real spouse?
They are still married, but separated in loving repentance.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
They are still married, but separated in loving repentance.

So it seems like you kindof made that up. If they are married, then why should they separate? How would their state of marriage be "living in sin", as you say?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So it seems like you kindof made that up. If they are married, then why should they separate? How would their state of marriage be "living in sin", as you say?
They are committing adultery. They are not if separated.

Upvote 0