Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Some argue that there is an "exception clause" for divorce, specifically if the spouse commits adultery. Is this true? I don't think so.

It is clear from Matthew 19:3-6 that Jesus affirms the permanence of a marriage union until death. God permitted divorce under the Old Covenant on account of their hardness of heart, but our Lord clearly states that marriage isn't something you can truly make and break. Once God joins two persons as one, they remain one until death. This is why Jesus said that divorcing your spouse makes them commit adultery, and that whoever marries a divorced person commits adultery, because as long as that partner remains alive they remain married before God, despite legally saying otherwise. This is not to say that remarriage is a life-long sin, but it is a defiling of another man's wife. Marriage is a serious deal, it isn't some civil contract, it is covenant union between two persons before God.

How about that "exception clause" that people defend? I have heard, and agree, that there is no exception to divorce. The Greek used for "sexual immorality" (inappropriate contentea) is different than the one for "adultery," and I think this is important to understand. It is understood that Jesus isn't referring to an act of infidelity in the marriage bed, but rather a case of fornication during a betrothal. In other words, divorce is permissible if there was sexual misconduct found out during the process of marriage. We see this very thing almost in practice with Joseph and Mary. Despite being betrothed, and not yet living with each other, they were still considered husband and wife according to Matthew 1:18-19 and 24. It was treated as though it they were already married. When Mary was found pregnant, Joseph planned to "divorce her quietly." This wasn't some novel idea of his, but may have been a common protocol in the case of assumed immorality. In the Old Testament, such a person could be stoned if found unchaste. Jesus' audience knew what he referred to more than we do, and this is likely the case. Otherwise, Christ contradicts himself by calling marriage a life-long union.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can Christians divorce?
Christians can divorce under the laws of the land but morally remarriage after divorce is not permitted as long as the divorced partner lives. Some sat that divorce is permitted in cases of marital infidelity - adultery - but others deny it.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus prohibits sin. And it is sin unless forgiveness is not crucial to salvation.

A divorce for a Christian is always within a cloud of sin. It is always a departure from Christ's absolute righteousness.

However:

If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea

Jesus knows who should bear the guilt for causing another to sin.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A divorce for a Christian is always within a cloud of sin. It is always a departure from Christ's absolute righteousness.

However:

If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea

Jesus knows who should bear the guilt for causing another to sin.
Does truth cause sin?

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They can. There are two.Biblical grounds for divorce - adultery, and abandonment of a missionary by a shameful person.

Matthew doesn't say "adultery," he says "sexual immorality."

Luke 18:29 encourages Christians to divorce their wives for the sake of spreading the gospel.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul teaches that the abandoned spouse is not bound in 1 Corinthians 7.
Bound = enslaved. It doesn't mean they are not still married. Marriage is for life. I f my wife deserts me, I'm not bound to bear former responsibilities.

“So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.” (Romans 7:3) (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kkamagwi

Feb 3, 2019
South Chungcheong
✟16,767.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew doesn't say "adultery," he says "sexual immorality."

Luke 18:29 encourages Christians to divorce their wives for the sake of spreading the gospel.

What Matthew says seems at least partially dependent upon what version of Scripture you're using. What version gives, "sexual immorality" friend?

Upvote 0

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Even if Matthew 19:9 were for today, it still doesn't say you can remarry on grounds of adultery. The innocent woman having been divorced from an adulterous husband commits adultery along with husband #2 when they marry.
You are ignoring a key piece of what Christ said.

9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and he that marrieth her when she is put away committeth adultery.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are ignoring a key piece of what Christ said.

9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and he that marrieth her when she is put away committeth adultery.
But the woman divorced from the adulterous husband also commits adultery along with her new husband when they marry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
christians who don't use common sense or understand the concept of "circumstances" forbid themselves from Divorce.

The husband can be someone who beats his wife to a bloody pulp in front of the kids and the wife is still a "sinner" if she divorces him. They can't be legally separated. She could probably stay at her folks for 3 or so months but has to pray, and if that husband still hurts her afterwards then that means she didn't pray enough or knew the "truth about christ".

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Anyone divorced and remarried has more than one spouse.

So let's think about some pastoral implications of your view.

Imagine that before I became a Christian I had a rough first marriage. After a few years we divorced. Then ten years later I met another woman and we married and had three kids. Then five years after that I became a Christian.

In the meantime, my first wife remarried and had three kids of her own with her new husband. She also later became a Christian.

Now that me and my X-wife are both Christians we want to honor the Lord. Since, in your view, we are still married to one another (even though we haven't seen each other in at least 15 years) and both have two spouses, what are our moral responsibilities to each other?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
christians who don't use common sense or understand the concept of "circumstances" forbid themselves from Divorce.

The husband can be someone who beats his wife to a bloody pulp in front of the kids and the wife is still a "sinner" if she divorces him. They can't be legally separated. She could probably stay at her folks for 3 or so months but has to pray, and if that husband still hurts her afterwards then that means she didn't pray enough or knew the "truth about christ".
Christians always fled violence in the NT. Divorce = unforgiveness.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So let's think about some pastoral implications of your view.

Imagine that before I became a Christian I had a rough first marriage. After a few years we divorced. Then ten years later I met another woman and we married and had three kids. Then five years after that I became a Christian.

In the meantime, my first wife remarried and had three kids of her own with her new husband. She also later became a Christian.

Now that me and my X-wife are both Christians we want to honor the Lord. Since, in your view, we are still married to one another and both have two spouses, what are our moral responsibilities to each other?
Pagan marriages are valid according to scripture. And any divorce and remarriage is adultery. Married = married for life regardless.

Upvote 0