Can Christians commit suicide and still enter into the Kingdom of God?

*Light*

Nov 17, 2018
Portal *34.05807 -118.24862*
✟26,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Family of God,

There are many well-meaning bible teachers, evangelists, and Pastors who wrongly teach that a Christian can commit suicide and still enter into the Kingdom of God (e.g., Charles Stanley). Is this true? And if not, then what are the dangers and ramifications of teaching or accepting this false teaching? Those who shepherd the flock of God will be held to a greater responsibility and accountability for how they feed the sheep.

"My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive [the greater condemnation]." (James 3:1)

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; [I have OVERCOME the world]." (John 16:33)

Does Christ dwell in you? And if so, is it possible for you to fail overcoming the World if Christ does indeed dwell in you? You are to *take courage* that it is a guarantee from Jesus Christ Himself that all True Believers will also overcome the World system if He has His abode in your heart, mind, and soul. I am stunned at the amount of professing Christians who doubt the power of God (cf. Eph. 3:20; 2 Tim. 3:5). This demonstrates a lack of Trust in the Living God in which NOTHING is too hard for Him. (Gen. 18:14; Jer. 32:17, 27; Job 42:2; Matt. 19:26; Jn. 16:33; Eph. 1:19; 3:20; Phil. 4:13, 19; Heb. 1:3; et al.).

"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 John 3:5)

The word "overcometh" (Grk. "nikao" νικάω; i.e., to conquer) is in the present tense, and this is indicative of someone who continually conquers the Word system and the trials and privations they experience in their lives. The act of suicide is in complete opposition to what the Bible says about the power of God and of Christ within them. Will Christ find faith when He returns?

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also [justified]: and whom he justified, them he also [glorified]. What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:28-31)

There are Three tenses of Salvation in the lives of every Christian: Justification, Sanctification, and Glorification. We are saved from the Wrath of God and made righteous in the sight of God through the atoning death of Christ on the Cross. We are being saved through the process of Sanctification; and we will be saved (i.e., sin is completely done away with; and we are perfected at the glorification of our bodies). God promises that once He has justified us, He will ultimately bring it to completion without a doubt at the time when Christians are glorified. This is also in opposition to the false teaching that Christians can commit suicide and still enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.

"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath [begun a good work] in you will PERFORM IT [until the day of Jesus Christ]:" (Philippians 1:6)

"Nay, in all these things we are [MORE THAN CONQUERORS] through him that loved us." (Romans 8:37)

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4:13)

Again, this speaks of a power that exceeds the limitations of the unconverted man or woman. Genuine believers have access to this power at all times in their lives. And again, this is in complete opposition to the idea the Christians can commit suicide; let alone, to commit suicide as a "Christian" and still enter into the Kingdom of God.

"For a just man [falleth] seven times, and [riseth] up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief." (Proverbs 24:16)

Most Pastors who teach that a Christian can commit suicide and still remain saved will tell their listeners that suicide is just like any other sin; and that Christians are forgiven for sins in their past, present, and future. The problem with this is that it is NOT like any other sin. If a person has [made up their mind] that they are going to commit suicide; then this is telling us that they do NOT plan on repenting of such a sin, because it ends in a state where repentance from such an egregious sin cannot be repented of after death. The dangers of such false teachings is that it can lead many false converts to a Christless Hell and the Lake of Fire. And the one who teaches such falsity will be held responsible for sending many people to an Eternal Hell and the Lake of Fire. Their lost souls and blood will be on the hands of these false teachers; and they WILL ANSWER to the LORD for this.

"Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and [IT FELL NOT]: for it was founded upon a rock." (Matthew 7:24-27)

"Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ." (2 Corinthians 1:3-5)

In Closing:

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: [I WILL STRENGTHEN THEE]; yea, [I will help thee]; yea, [I will uphold thee] with the right hand of my righteousness." (Isaiah 41:10)

God Bless!

Reactions: Call me Nic

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello Family of God,

There are many well-meaning bible teachers, evangelists, and Pastors who wrongly teach that a Christian can commit suicide and still enter into the Kingdom of God (e.g., Charles Stanley). Is this true? And if not, then what are the dangers and ramifications of teaching or accepting this false teaching? Those who shepherd the flock of God will be held to a greater responsibility and accountability for how they feed the sheep.

"My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive [the greater condemnation]." (James 3:1)

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; [I have OVERCOME the world]." (John 16:33)

Does Christ dwell in you? And if so, is it possible for you to fail overcoming the World if Christ does indeed dwell in you? You are to *take courage* that it is a guarantee from Jesus Christ Himself that all True Believers will also overcome the World system if He has His abode in your heart, mind, and soul. I am stunned at the amount of professing Christians who doubt the power of God (cf. Eph. 3:20; 2 Tim. 3:5). This demonstrates a lack of Trust in the Living God in which NOTHING is too hard for Him. (Gen. 18:14; Jer. 32:17, 27; Job 42:2; Matt. 19:26; Jn. 16:33; Eph. 1:19; 3:20; Phil. 4:13, 19; Heb. 1:3; et al.).

"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 John 3:5)

The word "overcometh" (Grk. "nikao" νικάω; i.e., to conquer) is in the present tense, and this is indicative of someone who continually conquers the Word system and the trials and privations they experience in their lives. The act of suicide is in complete opposition to what the Bible says about the power of God and of Christ within them. Will Christ find faith when He returns?

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also [justified]: and whom he justified, them he also [glorified]. What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:28-31)

There are Three tenses of Salvation in the lives of every Christian: Justification, Sanctification, and Glorification. We are saved from the Wrath of God and made righteous in the sight of God through the atoning death of Christ on the Cross. We are being saved through the process of Sanctification; and we will be saved (i.e., sin is completely done away with; and we are perfected at the glorification of our bodies). God promises that once He has justified us, He will ultimately bring it to completion without a doubt at the time when Christians are glorified. This is also in opposition to the false teaching that Christians can commit suicide and still enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.

"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath [begun a good work] in you will PERFORM IT [until the day of Jesus Christ]:" (Philippians 1:6)

"Nay, in all these things we are [MORE THAN CONQUERORS] through him that loved us." (Romans 8:37)

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4:13)

Again, this speaks of a power that exceeds the limitations of the unconverted man or woman. Genuine believers have access to this power at all times in their lives. And again, this is in complete opposition to the idea the Christians can commit suicide; let alone, to commit suicide as a "Christian" and still enter into the Kingdom of God.

"For a just man [falleth] seven times, and [riseth] up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief." (Proverbs 24:16)

Most Pastors who teach that a Christian can commit suicide and still remain saved will tell their listeners that suicide is just like any other sin; and that Christians are forgiven for sins in their past, present, and future. The problem with this is that it is NOT like any other sin. If a person has [made up their mind] that they are going to commit suicide; then this is telling us that they do NOT plan on repenting of such a sin, because it ends in a state where repentance from such an egregious sin cannot be repented of after death. The dangers of such false teachings is that it can lead many false converts to a Christless Hell and the Lake of Fire. And the one who teaches such falsity will be held responsible for sending many people to an Eternal Hell and the Lake of Fire. Their lost souls and blood will be on the hands of these false teachers; and they WILL ANSWER to the LORD for this.

"Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and [IT FELL NOT]: for it was founded upon a rock." (Matthew 7:24-27)

"Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ." (2 Corinthians 1:3-5)

In Closing:

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: [I WILL STRENGTHEN THEE]; yea, [I will help thee]; yea, [I will uphold thee] with the right hand of my righteousness." (Isaiah 41:10)

God Bless!
Murder is a sin that Jesus paid for, and suicide is murder of self.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
The answer might depend upon the person's state of mind and any mitigating factors that could impact God's judgment of the suicidal act. What we can say is that a history of the Christian Church shows that the Christian community has usually viewed suicide as a very grave sin.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,441.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Its easy for someone who has not been 'on the edge' to say how easy it is to turn away from suicide.

I say, and believe, that, God knows us all as 'individuals'. And as such, treats us as such. He knows our minds, hearts, souls and pains. Only God can judge.

God bless anyone who is going through these dark, sad times in their lives. May God embrace them with His undying mercy and love.

Upvote 0

sea5763

May 9, 2018
California
✟59,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The Bible doesn’t say the unforgivable sin is suicide it says it’s blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. There are very few suicide cases in the Bible. The only cases I can think of are Judas and Saul and Saul’s sons. Jesus said that Judas we have been better off if he had never been born and at the time Saul died God was mad at him because Saul had done a lot of things that were against what the prophets of God had told him to do and he had consulted the witch of Endor just the day before. However the Bible doesn’t tell you whether Saul and his sons went to heaven or hell when they committed suicide to avoid being tortured by the enemy army. One of Sauls sons who did this was beloved by David and even helped to hide David while his father Saul sought to kill David.

Judgment is for God to do not us. We are not supposed to say who goes to heaven and who goes to hell. That is for God to do. Romans 10:6-7 says that the righteous do not say in their heart who will ascend into heaven because that is to bring Christ down from. Heaven or he will descend into the abyss because that is to bring up Christ from the dead.

• Agree
Reactions: Mathetes66
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Suicide is a sin and means no heaven. There are many versus that talk about the body being a temple and we are to take care of it. Suicide just insults Jesus as He died for our sins. Life is not easy and suicide is a way out for that was never supposed to be.

An if you think about it, if suicide didn't send you to heaven then why would anyone want to stay alive knowing they can just kill themselves and see God now instead of waiting. I hope I am wrong of course but I doubt it.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I hope I am wrong of course but I doubt it.

If a ball joint on your car breaks and the sudden pull careers your car into a group of people, are you responsible or the malfunction in equipment? The same applies to a human with broken equipment. You can't lump all suicides into one basket.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If a ball joint on your car breaks and the sudden pull careers your car into a group of people, are you responsible or the malfunction in equipment? The same applies to a human with broken equipment. You can't lump all suicides into one basket.
Well if you commit suicide then you choose to. A car that breaks and you lose control of is out of your hands. All suicides are the same. You want to die, its your choice.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well if you commit suicide then you choose to. A car that breaks and you lose control of is out of your hands. All suicides are the same. You want to die, its your choice.

You truly don't understand how some mental illnesses work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Yes and no. To some extent, all suicides are the same. However, on another level, some may be quite different from others. Extreme physical pain is one reason why I think that God may judge some suicides different from others.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,452.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is one form of suicide which is blessed by God, where you hold fast to the Christian faith while being threatened with execution unless you deny Christ.
Otherwise known as martyrdom.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There is one form of suicide which is blessed by God, where you hold fast to the Christian faith while being threatened with execution unless you deny Christ.

Every day is a suicide mission as a follower of the Kingdom steps out into the world of man.

Upvote 0

Jon Osterman

Jan 23, 2018
Glasgow
✟59,048.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

No. All suicides are not the same. Don't talk rubbish.

For example, look at the suicide of Lawrence Oates, who killed himself on the Terra Nova Expedition to the South Pole, so that his fellow explorers might survive. Are you suggesting that his "sin" is unforgivable?

I can think of plenty of other examples where suicide would be the noble and right thing to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hardly. For most Christians in the West they will never face such a choice.

They most certainly do as every day they are faced with the choice of supporting and defending the self serving will of man over the will of God which is opposite in nature to the will of man. Turn on the news. If you find yourself taking sides in the nonsense there you are of the will and world of man. if you find the whole thing disgusting, all sides, then you are likely of the Kingdom.

Someone could start a new comedy album, 'You know You're a Kingdomneck if... "

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,452.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They most certainly do as every day they are faced with the choice of supporting and defending the self serving will of man over the will of God which is opposite in nature to the will of man. Turn on the news. If you find yourself taking sides in the nonsense there you are of the will and world of man. if you find the whole thing disgusting, all sides, then you are likely of the Kingdom.

Someone could start a new comedy album, 'You know You're a Kingdomneck if... "
None of them are being killed for not following the world.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
None of them are being killed for not following the world.

Certainly a few are, but most are just mocked, discredited, called names such as traitor and the like, for refusing to make the world instead of the Kingdom great., and this quite often by fellow 'Christians'. But we know the persecutions will increase towards the end of days when those of the world are finally globally untied enough think it is completely their way or the highway. Even today loving neighbour as self is mocked by capitalism for not being profitable to someone along the way. Pacifists have long been persecuted and executed for refusing to follow traditional ways especially when it comes to refusing to defend the institutions of man .
Are they purposely committing suicide acting in this manner? No. They are just victims of the system of man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. All suicides are not the same. Don't talk rubbish.

For example, look at the suicide of Lawrence Oates, who killed himself on the Terra Nova Expedition to the South Pole, so that his fellow explorers might survive. Are you suggesting that his "sin" is unforgivable?

I can think of plenty of other examples where suicide would be the noble and right thing to do.

Yes, unforgivable. He could have just let himself die naturally.

Upvote 0