Status
Not open for further replies.

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
I'm not talking about married folk here, but single people.
In main, single people make a deliberate attempt to look nice and appear attractive. Men typically have a decent haircut, wear clean and neat clothes when conditions permit, and bathe often enough to at least smell decent. Some may even go the extra step by using cologne, dressing fashionably, and practice good manners.

Women also do these sorts of things, but typically go much further. Quite early in life they recognize that sex appeal is important to men; that it can go a long way to attracting them. Of course there's a multi-billion dollar support industry out there that caters to just this objective; beauty salons, cosmetic companies, and the fashion industry to name a few. So, women have no trouble in making themselves as appealing as possible. In this "quest" to be attractive there is always a point at which the attempt may cross over into sexiness; the appearance that arouses sexual interest.

Of course not all sexual interest amounts to unbridled lust, but can, in fact, be be quite sublime. A desire to simply share a kiss perhaps, or just hold hands may be the goal of a roused sexual interest.

So, just how far can a good single Christian woman go in being sexy? Are some-what short skirts, a great bikini, a blouse that reveals bit, or maybe extra high heels out of line? Or, don't good Christian women do these sorts of things: there is no room for being sexy in any Christian's life?

Is there some aspect of Christianity that operates to prohibit sexiness? Or is sexiness fine as long as it's done tastefully?

Caoimhe

Not a regular member
Aug 3, 2008
✟15,369.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
I see no reason why a good Christian woman should be hindered from wanting to express herself artistically or to look good by means of donning herself with clothes, shoes and makeup of her preference. After all, what harm can there be in wanting to take care of her God-given body? I think every self-respecting woman out there deserves to look her very best and feel good about herself as well.

On the other hand, if you mean flaunting one's body part for the sole purpose of attracting the attention of male counterparts or because the woman feels very insecure unless she exposes herself (as she feels she has nothing else to offer) then I'd say that might not be a healthy choice. The key to look out for is her intent, I think. So long as the Christian woman respects herself, her body and God, and she is comfortable, I see no harm in her wearing a bikini, a stiletto or a mini-skirt.

I think being sexy has its merit and am almost certain God can use the single Christian woman's attractiveness for His glory.

Upvote 0

T Man

Walking In Faith
Jul 29, 2008
Perth Wesrtern Australia
Visit site
✟8,088.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
I agree Caoimhe, could not have said it any better.
God does not do anything in half measures, its all or nothing. The human body is a thing of beauty created by God, When God made Adam and Eve, he did not make a kMart or Target store so they could run out and by cloths, nakedness was the norm. Its our sin that makes us frown at shuch things today. A young man or woman wearing something sexy in not sinful, but intent is what brings on the sin or not. I would say question why and the intent of sexy before you get sexy. Man and womans attemt at the Knowledge tree is not a sin reserved for just Adam and Eve, we have contiuned this sin through evey generation and until we as people see this and admit it, nothing will change. Also here is wisdom, not every male looks at a woman with beauty in his mind but lust, so be careful and mindful of this, we don't wish to send out the wrong information. I always say the greatest protection we can have is if in doubt, leave it out. If your not sure take the smart road and leave it out.

T man

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Theres nothing wrong with a woman who dresses sexy in order to catch a guy's attention.

I know we're not in the majority here, but I agree. If you like a guy and want to look sexy to him (not trashy, but sexy), I see no harm in it.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
I know we're not in the majority here, but I agree. If you like a guy and want to look sexy to him (not trashy, but sexy), I see no harm in it.

By attention, what portions are you referring about. There is the attention you pay to someone because they are kind, but this isn't the attention you want. I think you want the attention you pay to someone because they are sexy. But doesn't that have another name it goes by?

Upvote 0

LoisGriffin

I am not a sheep! I follow only one!
Jul 1, 2008
United Kingdom
✟10,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ditto. There is a fine line between sexy and trashy though.

Upvote 0

reverend B

Senior Veteran
Feb 23, 2004
North Carolina
✟16,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
ok, i'm going to be lone voice howling in the wilderness. it has been determined that men are aroused by visual cues, and not aroused to an interest in the soul of the thing that visually arouses them, but the eros of that thing. when women choose to dress sexy, they are pushing men to confront that part of them that scripture admonishes us to reject. it is a selfish attempt to gain attention for the things that are not what we are called to be attracted to in a mate. men don't need any help fantasizing, they do a fine job on their own. add the provocation of a bare midriff and the adultery in the heart that pres. carter referred to is an easy leap. christian women do christian men a great service by dressing modestly, and ultimately help themselves to find a mate that is looking deeper than the surface to find what he is attracted to. we live in a culture driven by sex in its entertainment and marketing, and i believe women are as much the victims of this truth as men. they have determined that without the display of themselves in a provocative way they can not compete in the current marketplace in the battle of the sexes. we have been talked out of the scriptural encouragement toward modesty by madison ave, and interestingly it is mostly women in this thread trying to defend their right to be randy. make no mistake. you have the right. but Christianity is not about rights. it's about righteousness, and modesty is a great way of telling Christian men you love them, even if they don't understand it. ultimately, there is only one man you are trying to "get", and that's Christ, and your belly button ring isn't helping you attract Him!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
ok, i'm going to be lone voice howling in the wilderness. it has been determined that men are aroused by visual cues, and not aroused to an interest in the soul of the thing that visually arouses them, but the eros of that thing.
What soul of what thing? By "thing" are you referring women?

when women choose to dress sexy, they are pushing men to confront that part of them that scripture admonishes us to reject.
Which is? And, exactly what scripture?

it is a selfish attempt to gain attention for the things that are not what we are called to be attracted to in a mate.
"Selfish"? Do you mean that in trying to appeal to a man a woman should what, gain attention for things that are not what we are called to be attracted to in a mate for all women? Exactly where does selfishness come into the picture? And, just who is doing all this "calling" you speak of? As it appears to me, sexuality is exactly one of the things men are innately attracted to. Do you have some scripture that says men are not suppose to be sexually attracted to women?

men don't need any help fantasizing, they do a fine job on their own.
Ah, I don't think the real objective in dressing sexy is to help men fantasize about oneself, but rather to attract personal attention; like one-on-one real life stuff. This isn't to say some women wouldn't be pleased as punch to have men fantasize about them, but I hardly think they go to the bother and expense to do so. It's more of a secondary or tertiary result.

add the provocation of a bare midriff and the adultery in the heart that pres. carter referred to is an easy leap.
Really! A bare midriff does it for you, huh. To each his own. *shrug*

christian women do christian men a great service by dressing modestly, and ultimately help themselves to find a mate that is looking deeper than the surface to find what he is attracted to.
And just what is that service, a relationship devoid of sexual attraction? "Hey hun, we got to do that s - e - x thing again if we're going to have another baby. You know, that thing we did four years ago!" Do you actually believe that women are so obtuse that they can't see beneath sexual attraction? You seem assume that women are incapable of demonstrating their other attributs while exhibiting their sexuality, and that men are so blinded by female sexuality that they cant pick up on these other attributes. Believe me, I, for one, can chew gum and pat my belly at the same time.

we live in a culture driven by sex in its entertainment and marketing, and i believe women are as much the victims of this truth as men.
A culture driven by sex in its entertainment and marketing, huh. Care to cite the statistics that back this up? Our culture, like all cultures, is multi dimensional and driven by a slew of factors, only one of which is its entertainment and the marketing of products. You grossly exaggerate the situation, although I'm not surprised.

they have determined that without the display of themselves in a provocative way they can not compete in the current marketplace in the battle of the sexes.
First thing you've said that's somewhat on the mark. But, not all women dress provocatively, although considering that you're turned on by a bare midriff I understand where you're coming from.

we have been talked out of the scriptural encouragement toward modesty by madison ave, and interestingly it is mostly women in this thread trying to defend their right to be randy.
If Madison Ave can talk women out of "scriptural encouragement" this obviously says little for scripture. But I think it's a mistake to lay the blame, as you seem to regard it, on Mad Av.. Women have always used their sexuality to attract men., and way before advertising came into existence. Moreover, it's interesting that you equate sexiness with being randy: of a lustful or lecherousness nature. Not saying that some women aren't lustful or even lecherous, but sexiness is not the equivalent of randiness. At least not among those who understand the distinction. A woman can be quite sexy without being randy.

you have the right. but Christianity is not about rights. it's about righteousness,
Good grief, another trite play on words.

and modesty is a great way of telling Christian men you love them, even if they don't understand it.
"I'm only keeping my long sleeved blouse buttoned at the neck, and am wearing an ankle-length skirt so you can see how much I love you. If I didn't love you I'd be in a thong and pasties. Aren't you happy? I said, AREN'T YOU HAPPY? HEY, WHERE YOU GOIN'"

ultimately, there is only one man you are trying to "get", and that's Christ, and your belly button ring isn't helping you attract Him!
So what's the deal here, celibacy? Forget about flesh and blood men altogether? Excuse me, I thought your remark was going to be relevant.

In any case I do thank you for your input here. Without hearing from people like yourself we would never know what the other side of the coin looked like. :thumbsup: A sincere thanks for your contribution.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
By attention, what portions are you referring about. There is the attention you pay to someone because they are kind, but this isn't the attention you want. I think you want the attention you pay to someone because they are sexy. But doesn't that have another name it goes by?

I'm confused where you're going there. For an example, I think some women can look cute with midriff shirts that go up a little, and I think women look cute with belly button piercings, for one thing. I don't wear either as I don't have the stomach for it though :) Too short shorts are generally just too trashy to me. It just depends.

Upvote 0

WatersMoon110

To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate
May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree with the majority of other posters, when I say it is about the intention of the person in question, not just about what they wear. Obviously, a Christian could not follow the teachings of the Bible and be a prostitute. But one could certainly dress with the fashion of the day, in a short dress, skirt, or shorts and intend just to look in a way that one is happy with; and still be a good Christian.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
I think one first has to define what "sexy" means. I think that it is different to different people.

What I see today is shows like The Next The Pussycat Doll. To demonstrate their sexiness, they have to show themselves almost like strippers, being sexually suggestive that borders on what one sees in men's magazines. Often, they expose as much of their body as possible.

For me, someone who is trying that hard to be sexy isn't sexy at all. I find people that are simply themselves, that are not trying so hard to get attention, but rather, comfortable with themselves, dress for themselves, and be themselves are far sexier than people trying so hard to get other people's attention.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
Beanieboy said:
I think one first has to define what "sexy" means. I think that it is different to different people.
Although different people no doubt have different ideas about what IS sexy, I'm pretty sure they understand what BEING sexy means.

What I see today is shows like The Next The Pussycat Doll. To demonstrate their sexiness, they have to show themselves almost like strippers, being sexually suggestive that borders on what one sees in men's magazines. Often, they expose as much of their body as possible.
Okay. But we're not talking about The Next The Pussycat Doll. We're talking about the common woman.

For me, someone who is trying that hard to be sexy isn't sexy at all. I find people that are simply themselves, that are not trying so hard to get attention, but rather, comfortable with themselves, dress for themselves, and be themselves are far sexier than people trying so hard to get other people's attention.
Which is what makes horse racing.

mpok1519 said:
some gals dress with alot of skin showing because its hot outside.
Yeah, I enjoy hot weather too.

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
i enjoy when its hot outside too =P heh.

but seriously, a woman should dress sexy for herself, if anything; if it makes HER feel good, then what others think shouldn't have much of an impact.
I have to go along with you. Personally, I would much prefer to be with a woman who felt sexy rather than just chose to appear sexy.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Oh I agree, there are some who just obviously try too hard, a little left to the imagination is always a good thing :clap:

some gals dress with alot of skin showing because its hot outside.

True, true. I don't wear shorts as I don't like them on me, but when it's hot summer dresses, tank tops, and sleeveless shirts are for me. I live in Florida and have no car air conditioning, those shirts are lifesavers!

Although different people no doubt have different ideas about what IS sexy, I'm pretty sure they understand what BEING sexy means.

Another big true from me. Honestly, what is wrong about feeling sexy and good about yourself? :confused: Sometimes I put some nice perfume on and I wear high heels as my regular shoes. Just makes me feel nice. I don't do it for other people. This is just something I don't get.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think a woman should dress however she wants; to me, a woman who dresses to her own heart's desire for her own enjoyment rather than to attract a man, is much more sexy than the woman who dressess sexy in order to attract a man.

:thumbsup:

Besides, how own looks is a matter of interpretation. What makes a person feel sexy may not be the thing that another person thinks looks sexy.

I think men and women should dress in accordance with their own wishes (occasionally modified for the situation... my wishes have me in jeans and t's ALL the time, the situation at work sometimes requires slightly less casual wear)

I personally find the idea of dressing a certain way to attract sexual attention (in general) to be a bit stupid... I don't find the idea of dressing "up" for an evening out in a way that shows your personality and style and lets you enjoy yourself troubling at all- If it's interpreted as sexy so be it. If you feel sexy in it so be it. If one modifies their dress simply because they aren't getting romantic attention I'd question that persons self confidence and imagine the lack of attention to be related to that lack of self confidence rather than wardrobe. (and I'd say that applied to people of any belief system)

I think Christians who have a personal conviction regarding their wardrobe should feel free to dress accordingly, and realize that the wardrobes of others who don't happen to be their minor children is not their business.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.