Can Christians be good neighbors without endorsing sin?

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For example, can we teach and adhere to the Royal Law (James 2:8) as Christians without accepting the sins of our unbelieving neighbors?

For example, LGBTQ neighbors. Can we live the Royal Law and still condemn the sin.

It seems some churches believe they are loving neighbors by accepting their sin and in some cases celebrating the sin. Some go as far as not recognizing certain sins in the spirit of being a good neighbor and general all encompassing “love.”

I believe we can be good neighbors without condoning the sin. In fact we have blood on our hands if we do not share the Gospel of Christ crucified, died and Risen for the forgiveness of sins.

This is not a self righteousness we preach from but from the love of Christ.

What are your thoughts?

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Yes but Christians who want to be good neighbours should always focus on their own sins, their own family's sins 1st before the neighbours. It sux that Christians have gained such a reputation for hypocrisy bc of failing to do this. It feels like we're not trusted us anymore bc of some the obsession some Christians have with LGBT while not caring at all about their own sins or other sins.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes but Christians who want to be good neighbours should always focus on their own sins, their own family's sins 1st before the neighbours. It sux that Christians have gained such a reputation for hypocrisy bc of failing to do this. It feels like we're not trusted us anymore bc of some the obsession some Christians have with LGBT while not caring at all about their own sins or other sins.
I believe Christians are for the most part honest with their failures and shortfalls and sins.

Can you name some sins which Christians who are churched come to communion proclaiming publicly their sins are not sins?

That seems to be the theme of my OP.

Not that Christians are sinless but should they be accepting to overt unrepentant sin?

Homosexuality is condemned in the NT epistles. Also, Jesus confirmed marriage is between one man and one woman and He said this within the context of divorce. He also confirmed that this union was so from the beginning.

What’s the “wiggle room” to disobey Christ and Apostolic teachings?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Increasingly, it seems a strange hill to die on. Like Amish with their buggies, or Jehovah's Wittnesses that refuse blood transfusions. Maybe I'd tolerate that as somebody's religion, but I don't think society in general has to privilege those attitudes.

Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
For example, can we teach and adhere to the Royal Law (James 2:8) as Christians without accepting the sins of our unbelieving neighbors?

For example, LGBTQ neighbors. Can we live the Royal Law and still condemn the sin.

It seems some churches believe they are loving neighbors by accepting their sin and in some cases celebrating the sin. Some go as far as not recognizing certain sins in the spirit of being a good neighbor and general all encompassing “love.”

I believe we can be good neighbors without condoning the sin. In fact we have blood on our hands if we do not share the Gospel of Christ crucified, died and Risen for the forgiveness of sins.

What are your thoughts?

"We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum." - AW Tozer

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

What are your thoughts?

Yes, I believe we can be. As Christians we obviously should know the seriousness of sin and what Scripture plainly informs us the wages of sin is.

We can and must “speak the truth in love.”

The problem is, to a large degree, that this world has completely redefined and misunderstood what true love actually is.

The greatest example of genuine and perfect love is of course, Jesus Christ. And he didn’t die on that cross for nothing. If we care about people and truly love them, we will speak the truth as we have opportunity.

The only hope any of us have is the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

What are your thoughts?

I did not mean to post the AW Tozer quote alone, but to also say this.

I have several very good friends, even close friends, I would say, who are not Christians. I do not demand of them to stop hypocrisy, lying, theft, concupiscence, or any kind of immorality --in fact, unless they ask of me what I think, I tend more toward "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." I hope to give them a good example and be ready to give a good answer as to the hope that is in me.

Though I am not close to him, I am friends with a self-proclaimed homosexual and even very much enjoy talking with him. He knows where I stand. To me, right is right and wrong is wrong, but for us, who claim to love God, it is incumbent to live for God, if for no other reason to demonstrate something they can see as worth pursuit. If my neighbor claims to be a Christian and yet lives in sin, unrepentant, that is a much worse thing.

Finally, not that outward sins aren't more urgent to deal with because of public shame to the name of God, and not that some sins are not worse than others, but the list of those who will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven comes a lot closer to what some of us do than perhaps Homosexuality.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, I believe we can be. As Christians we obviously should know the seriousness of sin and what Scripture plainly informs us the wages of sin is.

The problem is, to a large degree, that this world has completely redefined and misunderstood what true love actually is.

The greatest example of genuine and perfect love is of course, Jesus Christ. And he didn’t die on that cross for nothing. If we care about people and truly love them, we will speak the truth as we have opportunity.

I agree. Just by way of discussion, I wanted to add, I am thankful to God for all kinds of Christians, even to include those who by their apparent attitude drive people away from God. God uses all kinds to do what he had in mind from the beginning.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I agree. Just by way of discussion, I wanted to add, I am thankful to God for all kinds of Christians, even to include those who by their apparent attitude drive people away from God. God uses all kinds to do what he had in mind from the beginning.

Yes, I agree. I’m thankful truly that God is in control and works all things together. Honestly, not a one of us is perfect or will get everything right. We all need His grace and forgiveness every single day.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I enjoy conversing with people from different backgrounds. Whether that person is a Christian is immaterial. What I'm concerned about is engagement and leaving a positive impression whenever possible. I've found that listening, love, and kindness are sorely needed and graciously received.

My former neighbor was a nuisance. She spoke loudly and disturbed us often with her music. I saw her outdoors one summer day and we exchanged greetings. She was with her nieces and I stopped to converse momentarily. I'd never done that before. They were spending the week with her and I mentioned a free vacation bible class in the neighborhood.

I decided to bless her one day out of blue. I was packing up my daughter's clothes. Some she'd never worn. I'd usually send them to a resale shop. But I decided to give them to her along with the jungle gym. She was overcome by my generosity. She saw the labels and knew what I'd spent. But I never forgot her words. She said she knew I was a Christian and shared her thoughts about my faith and admitted to seeing me head to church on many instances throughout the week.

We never know whose watching. I lived beside her for years without exchanging a word but she knew who I was. And that's all that matters. Who we are speaks loudest. It's more than words.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

It's ridiculous and absurd to insist that love can only be understood through the narrow confines of an increasingly irrelevant, even incomprehensible, religious worldview dictated by a peculiar interpretation of bronze age texts and guarded by a sect of self-appointed true believers.

This is why many people simply write off religion now days altogether. It's irrelevant at best, dangerous at worst.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

A large part of the problem is that often do not speak to our neighbours.
It is the simple things that build a relationship, those acts of care/help that show one is a human being.

The difficulty is when that relationship brings the reward of being asked to join in a celebration of an alternative life style.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

What are your thoughts?

I just want to say that accepting the sin of others as if it is acceptable or tolerable by us is a way of enabling them in their sin, although this is what they want. Worst case is to know someone steals or robs and not tell the police, that would be an enablement of crimes, and such enablement is a crime itself, since the law states that it is unlawful to fail to report a crime. But even this is a rule-of-thumb, and I'm not saying it is an absolute.

I have encountered homosexuals enough to know that they are very confused about that lifestyle being their identity. If we condemn the lifestyle, they think we are rejecting them. They need to know that Jesus is a healer. I have to admit that the gospel is not the first thing I think of when I encounter them, since I also admit that their mannerisms still creep me out. I was persuaded to commit some homosexual acts when I was a teenager, and am still suffering the consequences of that abuse and my consent to it. But the gospel is what they need to hear.

I get the idea that many times we are more afraid of an unbeliever's ability to influence us to evil, than we have faith that God is able to influence them for good through us. "Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." Some temptations are creepy, and we'd rather avoid it. God tells us to be courageous, but not foolish. It may be that we have to find out what the Spirit is telling us to do in each situation.

We trust God for our lives, and understand we don't have control of our universe. That means we don't have the knowledge we need in all situations, to know what to do in advance, and we have to trust that the Spirit of God will give us what to do and say when the situation arises. I think that the gospel is a good place to start, since it tells us that Christ redeems lives. If only I could remember that now...
TD:)

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's ridiculous and absurd to insist that love can only be understood through the narrow confines of an increasingly irrelevant, even incomprehensible, religious worldview dictated by a peculiar interpretation of bronze age texts and guarded by a sect of self-appointed true believers.

This is why many people simply write off religion now days altogether. It's irrelevant at best, dangerous at worst.

God is Living.. and He is the same yesterday, today, and forevermore :heart:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

First "the neighbors" are those people in life we meet. Sometimes we work with them, other times we develop a freindship with them in some way, whether through a community event that we worked side by side with them on, or other..

Neighbors dont always live next door, they are just who we encounter in some way.

The command to remove the log from our eye before removing the splinter from our brothers eye doesn't disallow pointing out sin. It's a command against blind and hypocritical judgment of others..

When you look at the verse, it ends with remove the splinter from your brothers eye.

That's a command. But we can't do so as a hypocrite would. And if you notice, we don't have to be sinless beings, the command doesn't say don't try and help your fellow man out until your sinless.. it says don't try to help them until you have sight.

Many people would use this verse as if it absolves us of responsibility, but it doesn't, quite the opposite it shows us our responsibility to those our life brings us into contact with. We are to help them to our utmost ability, and we do it as as child of God, not a hypocrite.

We can say, such and such an act, is a sin biblically yet still be happy to help them jump start their car...we just shouldn't say it harshly and without love, or judgementally when or if we do such and such too where no one can see us, and we sure don't do it when we ourselves don't understand scripture.

But we can speak of our faith, the issue of sin and our beliefs when we ourselves are not perfect. We have a responsibility to share our hope with others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If he's living, then he can choose to relate to modern human beings and their needs.

He is Living and He does relate to modern humans and their needs.

The problem is our needs haven't changed, because humans are still human. Its not like in 2,000 years our sins have changed any.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

You and I do not agree on many very serious and fundamental issues in regard to basic Christian theology. As such I will not be debating the Christian faith with you here. (Doing so would only cause this thread to go off topic in many different directions).

Suffice it to say that I believe the Bible and it is not simply a collection of “Bronze Age texts” to me. It is the very word of God, which, far from being antiquated, irrelevant and impossible to understand, as you suggest, is exactly what it says it is: “living and active and sharper than any two edged sword.” (Hebrews 4:12)

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
He is Living and He does relate to modern humans and their needs.

The problem is our needs haven't changed, because humans are still human. Its not like in 2,000 years our sins have changed any.

Every totalitarian ideology appeals to claims of having a unique understanding of human nature, this is true whether it is Marxism, Catholic Integralism, or whatever is preached at the little Bible church down the road. Even if we discount this, are we supposed to believe all-male European clergy in the 17th,18th, or 19th centuries had an infallible understanding of "human nature"?

You and I do not agree on many very serious and fundamental issues in regard to basic Christian theology. As such I will not be debating the Christian faith with you here. (Doing so would only cause this thread to go off topic in many different directions).

Suffice it to say that I believe the Bible and it is not simply a collection of “Bronze Age texts” to me. It is the very word of God, which, far from being antiquated, irrelevant and impossible to understand, as you suggest, is exactly what it says it is: “living and active and sharper than any two edged sword.” (Hebrews 4:12)

Being a Christian, for me, is about worshiping and following Christ, not worshiping a book and embracing anti-intellectualism and blind adherence to religious tradition.

I enjoy conversing with people from different backgrounds. Whether that person is a Christian is immaterial. What I'm concerned about is engagement and leaving a positive impression whenever possible. I've found that listening, love, and kindness are sorely needed and graciously received.

My former neighbor was a nuisance. She spoke loudly and disturbed us often with her music. I saw her outdoors one summer day and we exchanged greetings. She was with her nieces and I stopped to converse momentarily. I'd never done that before. They were spending the week with her and I mentioned a free vacation bible class in the neighborhood.

I decided to bless her one day out of blue. I was packing up my daughter's clothes. Some she'd never worn. I'd usually send them to a resale shop. But I decided to give them to her along with the jungle gym. She was overcome by my generosity. She saw the labels and knew what I'd spent. But I never forgot her words. She said she knew I was a Christian and shared her thoughts about my faith and admitted to seeing me head to church on many instances throughout the week.

We never know whose watching. I lived beside her for years without exchanging a word but she knew who I was. And that's all that matters. Who we are speaks loudest. It's more than words.

This reminds me of what my signature says, be a human first, then a Christian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
totalitarian ideology

How is the Bible "totalitarian"? I mean, it doesnt force people into the faith. It's a choice whether you believe in it and follow it, or not.

The non totalitarian nature is borne out in people's lives perfectly. Laws and rules for the church are just that, for the church; those who choose to submit to the Lordship of Christ.

Being a Christian, for me, is about worshiping and following Christ,

How do you know Christ existed? How do you know His nature? How do you know what His life was for? How do you know how that relates to your life?

Did He speak with you?

How do you know what following HIM looks like? What does it mean to follow Christ? In what way are we to do that?

Are you saying your a prophet of God, bringing us new revelation?

Upvote 0