Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We Catholics all know that the Church is bigger than any one political party, bigger even than a single nation or political system. It is a commonplace that many Catholics in the United States tend to vote for the Democrats…

Can Catholics Vote Libertarian?

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I once heard that libertarianism is pretty close to the classical liberalism of the framers of our Consitution. (Can't remember where I heard that--but you know that the Liberalism of the U.S. is *not* the liberalism of Europe. That liberalism does seem to me to be closer to classical liberalism than the Liberalism of the U.S.)

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,939.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Since true libertarians are opposed to legislating morality (and they would call their stance "religious freedom") I think that conservative Catholics would not be attracted to libertarianism (even though some might like it for the very reasons evagrius mentioned).

Ron Paul isn't a complete libertarian. He's an economic libertarian, and that's different.

Upvote 0

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
from the article:
So, I conclude this short piece with a question to you, gentle readers: can Catholics vote Libertarian and sleep well at night? I truly do not know how they could, but maybe I am just missing something.

Just one more subtle (or maybe not so subtle) reminder that we, as Catholics, must vote Republican.

Upvote 0

Needing_Grace

Chief of Sinners
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
✟11,799.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
sylverpiano said:
from the article:

Just one more subtle (or maybe not so subtle) reminder that we, as Catholics, must vote Republican.

Republicanism and Libertarianism can be summed up through this dialogue from the Emperor's New Groove. A supplicant has arrived with a problem and Yzma is sitting in for Emperor Kuzco. Let's watch:

YZMA: it is no concern of mine whether your family has...uhm...what was it again?

SUPPLICANT: [gulps]. I'm...food.

YZMA: HA! You should have thought about that before you became peasants! Take him away!!

This attitude of cold indifference to others is exactly why libertarianism, and it's incestuous cousin republicanism, are ideologies which fail to meet the expectations I read in the Gospels. .

Sent from my iPhone using CF

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
from the article:

Since there are many, more political parties besides Dem, Repub, Libertarian (or libertarian leaning) I fail to see how you come to "vote Repub" from that statement. Repub is not even mentioned.

Upvote 0

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Since there are many, more political parties besides Dem, Repub, Libertarian (or libertarian leaning) I fail to see how you come to "vote Repub" from that statement. Repub is not even mentioned.

Hi there, AMDG!

The entire subtext of this forum seems to continually stress that, as Catholics, voting for the Republican Candidate is obligatory.

YMMV

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi there, AMDG!

The entire subtext of this forum seems to continually stress that, as Catholics, voting for the Republican Candidate is obligatory.

YMMV

Well, yes--in order to save lives and religious freedom *and* the country, we need to remove Obama from his job, but if that is by voting Repub the article doesn't insist on a Repub vote there are other parties folks may vote for (and do) but you are correct if you think that all the votes would be better focused rather than scattered. (I'm still hoping that a miracle saves me from having to vote at all, but don't think that's going to happen since Catholics have long taught that voting is an obligation and life as well as being able to practice Catholicism freely*is* on the line this time.)

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Hi there, AMDG!

YMMV

It's not subtext. That would imply a degree of subtlety.

Upvote 0

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, yes--in order to save lives and religious freedom *and* the country, we need to remove Obama from his job, but if that is by voting Repub the article doesn't insist on a Repub vote there are other parties folks may vote for (and do) but you are correct if you think that all the votes would be better focused rather than scattered. (I'm still hoping that a miracle saves me from having to vote at all, but don't think that's going to happen since Catholics have long taught that voting is an obligation and life as well as being able to practice Catholicism freely*is* on the line this time.)

Actually, in my case it really does not matter who I vote for. Mr. Romney will be getting the Electoral votes from my state no matter what I do, as will the Congressional representative from my district.

Voting third party in the upcoming election will all but guarantee that Mr. Obama will be elected to a second term.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Anyone that thinks for Romney is a good thing is just using the 'Anyone but . . . ' inane paradigm. That's how Neocon/closet-progressive sucker us in for voting craptastic Republicans like Nixon, Bush Sr, Bush Jr, Cheney, McCain, etc.

Remember Republicans gave us Roe v. Wade and Abortion legalised in America. Don't trust them!

:smoke:

Last edited:
Upvote 0