Florida
Visit site
✟605.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BACKSLIDING!

How about our "Backsliding" in the saving knowledge of who Jesus is? Is it possible to backslide like this after we have truly been saved? But Backslide into a what? - into an unbeliever again????

That is why I say that if you are truly a believer; one who has come to KNOW Christ personally, then you have been born again. If this is true that indeed you are, then there is no way that He can be put out of your spirit again.

Therefore, "Backsliding" is a condition that deals with "sins"...
If one is truly a Christian then they will no longer PRACTICE sin. However - when we are weak (i.e. strong in ourselves), we sin. All sin is rebellion against God.

So, "Backsliding", according to the Scriptures, means this --

1 John 1:8-10 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Therefore when we sin we need to confess those sins to God - not only confess but repent of, turn away from them as well.

POSITIONALLY SPEAKING we cannot sin --

1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

That is why we are told to --

1 Peter 2:11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

and what is the motivation for all of this??? -

LOVE

1 John 2:3-5 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

Biff

Reactions: gennfamily
Upvote 0

Gal328

Mar 10, 2006
NY
✟676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tonks said:
Is your position that a true Christian - after being saved (as it were) - is not capable of sin?

No I am not saying that, although there are protestants who do believe that. Specifically celebrety christians and Gay christians.

Paul himself, stuggles with his sinful nature. ( the key name is Paul and not Saul )

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
gennfamily said:
I do not see this question anywhere else. I see quite a bit of people believing what they want to believe despite clear cut scripture. I am hoping to get some Scripturally sound perspective on this from spiritually mature Christians. I keep coming up against "sin wilfully after receiving a knowledge of the truth, and there be no sacrifice for sins left, and we come under a certain fearful expectation of judgement, and fiery indignation which will devour the advesaries of God" (Heb 10:26-27)
So if a person is a Christian but struggles and falls away even though they know there is a God, does this Scripture stand as the bottom line despite anything after that time?:scratch: :( :cry: Does that also mean that a seemingly succesful reunion with the Lord such as happens with 12 step or other recovery and counseling programs is nothing but self-delusion?

The short answer is yes.

The only sin that God cannot forgive is the sin that we do not ask forgivesness of.

I can assure that you do not not need any 12 steps so God can forgive you.

Jesus said

"come unto me all ye that are heavy laden and I will give you rest"

Don't be too concerned about programs, just "come".

Come as you are.

Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟98,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
2Pe 1:3
(NASB)
seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.
2Pe 1:4 For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of {the} divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.
2Pe 1:5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in {your} moral excellence, knowledge,
2Pe 1:6 and in {your} knowledge, self-control, and in {your} self-control, perseverance, and in {your} perseverance, godliness,
2Pe 1:7 and in {your} godliness, brotherly kindness, and in {your} brotherly kindness, love.
2Pe 1:8 For if these {qualities} are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2Pe 1:9 For he who lacks these {qualities} is blind {or} short-sighted, having forgotten {his} purification from his former sins.
2Pe 1:10 Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble;
2Pe 1:11 for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.

GOD HAS OFFERED TO US EVERYTHING WE NEED FOR A UNANIMOUS VICTORY OVER SIN AND THE ENEMIES OF OUR SOULS.

IF WE DONT TAKE HOLD OF IT, WHEN CHALLENGES COME WE MAY GO THROUGH MORE THAN WE SHOULD.

IF WE PRESS ON TOWARDS HIS CALLING ON OUR LIVES WE SHOULD NOT STAY DOWN WHEN WE'RE HIT.

KNOW THAT WE WERE BOUGHT FOR A PRICE, WE BELONG TO GOD, WE'RE ARE TO BARE FRUIT UNTO GOD. HE IS WORTH OF ALL.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.