Not open for further replies.

gennfamily

May 24, 2006
✟15,330.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do not see this question anywhere else. I see quite a bit of people believing what they want to believe despite clear cut scripture. I am hoping to get some Scripturally sound perspective on this from spiritually mature Christians. I keep coming up against "sin wilfully after receiving a knowledge of the truth, and there be no sacrifice for sins left, and we come under a certain fearful expectation of judgement, and fiery indignation which will devour the advesaries of God" (Heb 10:26-27)
So if a person is a Christian but struggles and falls away even though they know there is a God, does this Scripture stand as the bottom line despite anything after that time?:scratch: :( :cry: Does that also mean that a seemingly succesful reunion with the Lord such as happens with 12 step or other recovery and counseling programs is nothing but self-delusion?

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Friend, this is just my own take of what is in the scriptures.

"Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee. But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest. And when he was gone out into the porch, another maid saw him, and said unto them that were there, This fellow was also with Jesus of Nazareth. And again he denied with an oath, I do not know the man. And after a while came unto him they that stood by, and said to Peter, Surely thou also art one of them; for thy speech bewrayeth thee. Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] crew. And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly."-Matt. 26:69-75

Look at that passage closely. Peter not only denied knowing Jesus but went as far as to even revert to his former life. He began to curse. As I look at these scriptures, I would suggest that Peter "backslid." But afterward, he went out and cried bitterly. As I look at that, to me that suggests that Peter repented of his sin.

Anybody can backslide. I was a Christian until I was 14 y/o, then I walked away. I stayed out in the world until I was 37. Now, I could not see any way I could do that now. I had backslid. But the difference is that I came back. Just like the prodigal son, I was lost, but now I'm found. I was dead, but now I'm alive.

To me, the only 12 step program you have to take are those steps which keep you separate from God.

Let me put it like this, as long as there is a breath of life left in you, there is hope. Only after you die is there no hope if you don't know Jesus.

The writer of Hebrews knew we couldn't walk without sinning:

"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us," -Heb. 12:1

Thank God that He made provision for us when this happens:

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." -1 John 1:9

Yes friend, as long as there is a breath of life in us, there is hope. The "backslidden" can be forgiven.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
DeaconDean said:

"Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee. But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest. And when he was gone out into the porch, another maid saw him, and said unto them that were there, This fellow was also with Jesus of Nazareth. And again he denied with an oath, I do not know the man. And after a while came unto him they that stood by, and said to Peter, Surely thou also art one of them; for thy speech bewrayeth thee. Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] crew. And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly."-Matt. 26:69-75

Look at that passage closely. Peter not only denied knowing Jesus but went as far as to even revert to his former life. He began to curse. As I look at these scriptures, I would suggest that Peter "backslid." But afterward, he went out and cried bitterly. As I look at that, to me that suggests that Peter repented of his sin.

Anybody can backslide. I was a Christian until I was 14 y/o, then I walked away. I stayed out in the world until I was 37. Now, I could not see any way I could do that now. I had backslid. But the difference is that I came back. Just like the prodigal son, I was lost, but now I'm found. I was dead, but now I'm alive.

To me, the only 12 step program you have to take are those steps which keep you separate from God.

Let me put it like this, as long as there is a breath of life left in you, there is hope. Only after you die is there no hope if you don't know Jesus.

"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us," -Heb. 12:1

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." -1 John 1:9

Yes friend, as long as there is a breath of life in us, there is hope. The "backslidden" can be forgiven.

Well done!

1000 points for DeaconDean! (Remember, the points don't matter. ^_^ )

Forgive me...:liturgy:

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟98,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
gennfamily said:
I do not see this question anywhere else. I see quite a bit of people believing what they want to believe despite clear cut scripture. I am hoping to get some Scripturally sound perspective on this from spiritually mature Christians. I keep coming up against "sin wilfully after receiving a knowledge of the truth, and there be no sacrifice for sins left, and we come under a certain fearful expectation of judgement, and fiery indignation which will devour the advesaries of God" (Heb 10:26-27)
So if a person is a Christian but struggles and falls away even though they know there is a God, does this Scripture stand as the bottom line despite anything after that time?:scratch: :( :cry: Does that also mean that a seemingly succesful reunion with the Lord such as happens with 12 step or other recovery and counseling programs is nothing but self-delusion?

HEB 10:26For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

MANY BELIEVERS BELIEVE THAT THEY'VE HAVE USED THE BLOOD TOO MANY TIMES, AS YOU KNOW,THAT'S CALLED CONVICTION. IF YOU HEED THE VERSE IN HEB10:25 AND NOT FORSAKE GATHERING WITH OTHER BELIEVERS. WE WILL REMIND THAT THE BLOOD WAS SHED ONCE FAR ALL AND THAT NEVER WILL NEVER LOSE IT'S POWER.

THERE IS ASSURANCE OF FORGIVENESS OF SIN

Ijohn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

THERE IS ASSURANCE OF DELIVERANCE FROM TEMPTATION

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

Upvote 0

Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
DeaconDean said:

*Gods Revenger dances* :clap:

I needed to know this too and thank you for reminding me! :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gal328

Mar 10, 2006
NY
✟676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
gennfamily said:

Sorry I can't get into it exstensively, I'll summerize it as basic as I can. If you are a true christian ( if your faith is real ) God will forgive your backsliding. If your faith wasn't genuine then backsliding isn't forgiven.

my 2 cents

Upvote 0

juggernaut

Jun 21, 2006
✟7,620.00
Faith
Christian
Gal328 said:
Sorry I can't get into it exstensively, I'll summerize it as basic as I can. If you are a true christian ( if your faith is real ) God will forgive your backsliding. If your faith wasn't genuine then backsliding isn't forgiven.

my 2 cents

if your faith wasn't genuine what would you be backsliding from???

God's forgiveness is available to all who have a repentant heart. We all fall short of the glory of God...there is a difference, i believe, between struggling with sin and willing to sin. Even Paul stated "Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God's law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin." (Rom 7:25).
Paul himself knowing that as a follower of Christ we are called to live a life that is holy and pleasing to the Lord knew that we are capable of sinning. Again and again. I myself have been struggling with a particular sin for years, I don't want to do it but sometimes I find myself doing it...it's not that I wilfully do it, in my heart it's not something that I want to hold on to...and it's very easy to say "just let it go" becoz it's a habit that I need to change.
Have I backslidden? What is it to backslide? To stray from the faith? I can't say that I have, what I can say is my sin whether it be backsliding or not seperates me from God and unless I confess and come clean that seperation will always be a hinderance when I want to be near to God.

Upvote 0

f.o.o.t.man

May 14, 2004
Arkansas
✟7,950.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If God can't forgive backsliding, then he isn't all-powerful. If he can't forgive backsliding then he doesn't really love us as much as he says he does. If he can't forgive backsliding then Jesus's sacrifice wasn't enough. If that's the case, then God is sadistic and cynical for sending his only Son to die when it would really pay for all sins. I could quote Scripture but I think this question can be thought through logically based on what we know about God.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Gal328 said:

my 2 cents

Is your position that a true Christian - after being saved (as it were) - is not capable of sin?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OrthodoxyUSA said:
Well done!

1000 points for DeaconDean! (Remember, the points don't matter. ^_^ )

Forgive me...:liturgy:

Somebody has been watching "Whose Line Is It Anyway"

Are we gonna have a "Hoedown" now?

Thanks "Drew"

God Bless you brother.

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The scripture says in

1 John2:1

My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

It is also written that Jesus always lives to intercede for us.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: DeaconDean
Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Left the river, made it to the sea
Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
gennfamily said:
what is the unforgiveable sin? I've never heard a unanimous opinion on this.

I've heard various answers on it but I tend to think that it is a final and definitive NO to God. It is unforgiveable because in so doing you are forsaking yourself and rejecting forgiveness...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.