Can anything be done to reverse the trend of 70%+ of Christian youth leaving the Church after 18?

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Random articles like these look into the problem.

The Real Reasons Young Adults Drop Out of Church
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ed...-reasons-young-adults-drop-out-of-church.html

Christian Youth In America Are Leaving the Church
http://crossexamined.org/youth-exodus-problem/

5 Possible Reasons Young Americans Are Leaving Church and Christianity Behind
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...s-are-leaving-church-and-christianity-behind/

I have seen it myself at my church for over 20 years, as these youth sang in the childrens choir, was in Sunday school, every church play, accepted Jesus as a teen and by time they are over 18 and go off to college 2/3 never come back and when they do, they are a completely different person spiritually.

I know the adults lead by example, so if grown ups are late to church all the time, why should a child then young adult want to come on time either. If many of the adults dont read their bibles, there is no way they can answer a young adults question other than say go ask the pastor.

Can anything be done to reverse this trend or this is just the future or Christian youth?

Yes. Churches could actually faithfully proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, rather than attempt to entertain the youth into becoming Christians.

------
"these youth sang in the childrens choir, was in Sunday school, every church play, accepted Jesus as a teen and by time they are over 18 and go off to college 2/3 never come back and when they do, they are a completely different person spiritually."

None of which are biblical definitions of a Christian. There are many goats in the church, including the youth.

Nowhere in the Bible does it ask or tell you to "accept" Jesus. This is an unbiblical term that Christian churches must abandon.

Jesus does not need our "acceptance" as if He is some poor beggar on the street. He is the sovereign, righteous and holy God who has a righteous and just wrath against rebel sinners. We are the rebels. We must lay down our arms and surrender to Him. He has no obligation to surrender to us.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith in God, Eastcoast, is not at all opposed to evolution, and vice versa. I believe that evolution would be impossible without God, for example. Granted, evolution would conflict with the biblical cosmology and geophysics. However, so does the notion of a spherical earth and a heliocentric solar system. The Bible was not intended to be a scientific witness. And that should be no surprise. Divinely inspired as it may be, it arouse out of a pre-scientific, semi-barbaric culture. So it is only to be expected its cosmology would be outmoded. God always works with the grain, not against it. God can only as fast as we are capable and willing to go. So God was not about to reveal any advanced scientific knowledge to the ancient Hebrews.

It seems that you are saying that man is sovereign over God and that God must submit to the will of man.

This is not found in the Bible.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trying to "do" something is what caused this in the first place.

Firstly, these people were never part of the church. They went from "childrens church" to youth services to campus ministries, without ever becoming members of the church.

Secondly, in the footsteps of Charles Finny, we created a circus like environment in order to appeal to these kids. Youth pastors swallowed gold fish and shaved their heads, and of course, as we all know, every this must be FUN.

Thirdly, we taught no doctrine to these people. I mean, becoming rooted and grounded in scripture isn't fun, so we can't do that. . .

Lastly, and related to the third point, we taught them that experience trumps knowledge. If they did manage to actually sit through a "worship service" it was a concert followed by life skills training or "interesting" stories about what the pastor did last week. We have failed to open the Bible and preach and teach from it.

These people haven't left Christianity. They've never even experienced Christianity.

Well said.

Upvote 0

WretchedGoat

Feb 24, 2016
USA
✟1,386.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes. Churches could actually faithfully proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, rather than attempt to entertain the youth into becoming Christians.

------
"these youth sang in the childrens choir, was in Sunday school, every church play, accepted Jesus as a teen and by time they are over 18 and go off to college 2/3 never come back and when they do, they are a completely different person spiritually."

None of which are biblical definitions of a Christian. There are many goats in the church, including the youth.

Nowhere in the Bible does it ask or tell you to "accept" Jesus. This is an unbiblical term that Christian churches must abandon.

Jesus does not need our "acceptance" as if He is some poor beggar on the street. He is the sovereign, righteous and holy God who has a righteous and just wrath against rebel sinners. We are the rebels. We must lay down our arms and surrender to Him. He has no obligation to surrender to us.

You've touched on something there. Our modern culture teaches people to be self-reliant, to never say "I'm sorry", to never do anything to appear weak in the eyes of another - so accepting the fact that you are nothing more than a vapor of smoke in the eyes of God and you NEED to repent for your sins and give your life to Jesus runs antithesis to the teachings of the modern world.

Humility hurts for a lot of people these days.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Trying to "do" something is what caused this in the first place.

Firstly, these people were never part of the church. They went from "childrens church" to youth services to campus ministries, without ever becoming members of the church.

Secondly, in the footsteps of Charles Finny, we created a circus like environment in order to appeal to these kids. Youth pastors swallowed gold fish and shaved their heads, and of course, as we all know, every this must be FUN.

Thirdly, we taught no doctrine to these people. I mean, becoming rooted and grounded in scripture isn't fun, so we can't do that. . .

Lastly, and related to the third point, we taught them that experience trumps knowledge. If they did manage to actually sit through a "worship service" it was a concert followed by life skills training or "interesting" stories about what the pastor did last week. We have failed to open the Bible and preach and teach from it.

These people haven't left Christianity. They've never even experienced Christianity.
Pray, and try to talk to them. Lead by example, be joyful in Christ.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am not sure what the reasons are. My disillusionment with the church was in the fact that I saw nothing different about Christians other than that they made themselves endure church once a week. They weren't any happier than nonbelievers. They weren't any holier than nonbelievers. They weren't any more kind or generous than nonbelievers. And, so on. What drew me back to the church was the realization that the reason for this is that most "Christians" have never really experienced the presence of God in their lives. When I started meeting people who had experienced such desperation that they were willing to earnestly seek God, I started to see a much different version of Christianity. So, if I had to answer the question, what we need in the church is desperation to seek the Holy Spirit earnestly and to allow Him to sanctify us and our churches.
Lead by example. St. Francis, it is said, invited his brother mendicant to 'go to town and preach.' So they walked together, around the town square, three times, smiling at each person they met, never saying a word. The brother, on their way back, asked Francis "I thought we were going to preach?" Francis said, "That's exactly what we just did."

Reactions: Kersh
Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

------

Hello, Joe!
I am confused. You are saying that a youth who accepts Jesus and participates in depth in church life is a goat and fails to be a Christian?
The only way I could imagine justifying such is to think that they don't obey the Bible's teachings even though they have faith. This goes back to James' teaching on the necessity of Good Works. Of course if they have faith and good works, of course they meet the Biblical definition. You would have to say that these faithful Jesus-loving youth were failing to help the sick or care for the poor, but personally I am skeptical that they would clearly fail in that regard if they are deeply active in church.

What are you talking about????
"All who come to me will never thirst"??///////????

Yes, if you are surrending to someone it means you accept this.

I am not really sure what your claim is, except you seem to imply that the youth are not sincere in their faith. But if they DO accept Jesus, then it sounds like they were.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Make those things easy to read then I will but until then I know what I know. When reading is not easy for you it changes your life.
John's Gospel, especially chapters 1 thru 3, is simple and clear and those chapters are marvellous to read.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Indeed; thankfully, I am not a Calvinist, and thus view the Christian faith as a process; many people drift away only to return.

Indeed sanctification is a process. This Evangelical agrees.

The Grace and Mercy of Christ is always there to pick up the pieces and put us back together again when we come to Him in contrite repentance.

What we are witnessing with people leaving their faith for the world is clearly taught by Jesus Christ in the parable of the soils.

As we mature in our walk with Christ and as He gives us more light, we realize the matter of wheat and tares comes into focus.

Our Heavenly Father always awaits the prodigal child to return to the Arms of His Beloved Son in whom He is well pleased.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm both Catholic and agnostic, struggling with the realization that I don't truly believe in God despite decades of trying. My kids are still young .
While I don't suspect hell is visible from heaven, if such places exist , in heaven one would notice the absence of their loved ones. You'd have to conclude they all didn't make it. I don't understand then how one could truly be happy if they knew their lover ones were suffering
It's not that we would be happy they are not there but we will know the opportunities that were given them and whether they accepted rejected those opportunities... we will see that God is Just and that it was because of choices that many will be separated from God. This is also why the idea and erroneous teaching of an eternal place of torment is so egregious to God's character. The choice we make here to follow and obey God, or not, will indeed have eternal consequences.... eternal life with God or eternal separation from Him through destruction. It is called His "strange act" as He is a Creator not a destroyer but for the needs of Justice, the wickedness must be destroyed.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It's not that we would be happy they are not there but we will know the opportunities that were given them and whether they accepted rejected those opportunities... we will see that God is Just and that it was because of choices that many will be separated from God. This is also why the idea and erroneous teaching of an eternal place of torment is so egregious to God's character. The choice we make here to follow and obey God, or not, will indeed have eternal consequences.... eternal life with God or eternal separation from Him through destruction. It is called His "strange act" as He is a Creator not a destroyer but for the needs of Justice, the wickedness must be destroyed.
There's plenty of people that God doesn't give opportunity to believe to, yet they are still condemned if I understand correctly. They're not wicked, they just haven't been given an opportunity to know God.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, Joe!
I am confused. You are saying that a youth who accepts Jesus and participates in depth in church life is a goat and fails to be a Christian?
The only way I could imagine justifying such is to think that they don't obey the Bible's teachings even though they have faith. This goes back to James' teaching on the necessity of Good Works. Of course if they have faith and good works, of course they meet the Biblical definition. You would have to say that these faithful Jesus-loving youth were failing to help the sick or care for the poor, but personally I am skeptical that they would clearly fail in that regard if they are deeply active in church.

I am not really sure what your claim is, except you seem to imply that the youth are not sincere in their faith. But if they DO accept Jesus, then it sounds like they were.

You bring up good points.

Of which I will say you don't even have to appeal to James. Our Savior said the following:

Luke 6:

43 “For a good tree does not bear bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. 44 For every tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush. 45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There's plenty of people that God doesn't give opportunity to believe to, yet they are still condemned if I understand correctly. They're not wicked, they just haven't been given an opportunity to know God.
Does that sound like a Just God? Everyone will be held accountable to the light they were given and God knows what their lives were... other centered or self centered. Adding more knowledge of God onto that framework only weighs it down further in either direction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Does that sound like a Just God? Everyone will be held accountable to the light they were given and God knows what their lives were... other centered or self centered. Adding more knowledge of God onto that framework only weighs it down further in either direction.
I'd hope so, but there are many conflicting messages. Some say you are saved by faith not works. ..so being other centered, even devoting your life to the care of others, counts for nothing if you don't have the correct faith. Yet it is also said faith is a gift from God.
So, a good person could pray to God for years for faith, and give up or die before they received it. Then they would be condemned.
These kids leaving the church are doing so because they have nothing to hang their belief on, in my opinion. They've learned the stories of the Bible, but without the gift of faith, it's no different than learning the stories of Odin or Zeus.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Can you point me to the destruction references?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd hope so, but there are many conflicting messages. Some say you are saved by faith not works.

What did Jesus and His apostles teach?

I believe the Biblical answer is those who have trust in Christ for salvation show their faith. This is the definition of faithfulness.

We can discuss this more if you like.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
a youth who accepts Jesus and participates in depth in church life is a goat and fails to be a Christian?

Our actions don't save us. His do. "Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no share with me.” (John 13:8)

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, Joe!

"You are saying that a youth who accepts Jesus and participates in depth in church life is a goat and fails to be a Christian?"

No. Claiming that you have "accepted Jesus" is not definitive proof that one has been saved and is being regenerate by God. Participating in church does not mean a person is a Christian.

Being involved in church activities is not a definitive of the Christian faith.

--------
"they don't obey the Bible's teachings even though they have faith"

If a person has faith and salvation in Jesus Christ, obedience will follow. Will it be perfect obedience, no. But the overarching lifetime trend will be a hunger for the truth of God, a seeking of Jesus Christ, an abhorrence to sin and the things of this world, and relentless pursuit of holiness, and a great burden for the lost to know the Lord Jesus Christ.

-------
"This goes back to James' teaching on the necessity of Good Works. Of course if they have faith and good works, of course they meet the Biblical definition. You would have to say that these faithful Jesus-loving youth were failing to help the sick or care for the poor, but personally I am skeptical that they would clearly fail in that regard if they are deeply active in church."

To be clear, works do not precede, or are a pre-requisite of salvation. Good and obedient works follow salvation. Salvation is the root, works are the fruit. The fruit does not exist without the root.

----------
"Yes, if you are surrending to someone it means you accept this.

I am not really sure what your claim is, except you seem to imply that the youth are not sincere in their faith. But if they DO accept Jesus, then it sounds like they were."

I am arguing the point of semantics and the use of the term "accept". Far too often, many believe that to "accept" Christ means He is standing outside their door, nervously pacing back and forth, hoping, hoping, hoping that someone will "accept" Him.

Jesus is not some poor beggar in desperate need of our acceptance and approval. He is the sovereign and holy God. He is the Just Judge of the universe. He does not answer to us. We will all stand before Him and give account for our lives, and if someone has not been saved by the blood of Jesus Christ, all of their works will be shown to have been done out of selfish conceit and vainglory.

I am not questioning the youth faith in a general sense. But if you can examine someone's life and see no fruit of repentance, then it is fairly certain that they are unregenerate and lost.

And far too many youth in the church that does not correctly proclaim the gospel are going astray because the church thinks that they have to entertain the youth into the Kingdom of God, rather than calling them to repent of their sins and surrender to Jesus Christ. Repentance is not often preached in many churches. In far too many churches, Jesus is preached as an "add-on" feature to make your life better, to make you healthy, wealthy and wise. Jesus is far greater than an "add-on" you tack on to your life. If one trusts in Him, He will radically transform a person, so that they no longer love their sin, and that they will seek to obey Him, not because it justifies them before Him, but out of pure and holy love. And so when trial and tribulations come, they will not fall away, because their house has been built on the Rock and not shifting sand.

Upvote 0