Can anyone recommend a good budget string trimmer?

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There are so many to choose from but which are good for the cost and quality? I busted the spool cap on my homelite and they don't carry the part anymore. So I have to buy a whole new one. I am looking for an electric one as those seem to be the cheapest. I know that it is hard to find parts for craftman and I am not so sure of the quality of the black and decker. I am looking at a b and d now but would really like a recommended string trimmer.
Thanks for you help.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There are so many to choose from but which are good for the cost and quality? I busted the spool cap on my homelite and they don't carry the part anymore. So I have to buy a whole new one. I am looking for an electric one as those seem to be the cheapest. I know that it is hard to find parts for craftman and I am not so sure of the quality of the black and decker. I am looking at a b and d now but would really like a recommended string trimmer.
Thanks for you help.
We’ve been using Black and Decker electric trimmer for years. We’ve replaced the cap a few times, but that’s it. I think I’ve bought two in the last 16 years.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I bought a rebuilt Husqvarna. Buying the rebuilt tool saved me nearly $100. Whatever brand you opt for, take a look at some of their other tools as well such as blowers and pole saws and hedge trimmers or you might end up with a pile of different batteries and chargers cluttering up your storage.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have one of these Black & Deckers:
BLACK+DECKER 14 in. 6.5-Amp Corded Electric Straight Shaft Single Line 2-in-1 String Grass Trimmer/Lawn Edger-GH900 - The Home Depot

It works well enough, but they follow the Gillette pricing model wherein they charge little up front but get you on the consumables. The whole trimmer is only $50 (including one spool), but the string comes on cartridges that are $9 each and don't last too long. I'm sure we could buy a larger spool and rewind it ourselves, but yard work is mostly my wife's domain and I can't be bothered with it.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a Toro from Home Depot: Toro 2-Cycle 25.4cc Attachment Capable Straight Shaft Gas String Trimmer-51978 - The Home Depot

It is a straight shaft and attachment capable. I have the rototiller for it which is aweesome. The unit is about 10 yrs old and I recently had it fail permenatly, I thought. CArberator and tank line gromet. AMAZINGLY in one last ditch effort to revive it I found the whole carb, lines, filters, and tank gromet seal for under $20 and it is pretty simple to make replacement. I have worked it very hard over the years with the rototiller, sliding two 5# dumbell weights over [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] to ride on rototiller to relieve the downward pressure I have to maintain to keep it deep. Works amazing. Line spool is the bump head and I still have original head but could probably benefit from a new one. It is working fine since "rebuild." IMPORANT NOTE: We should not be ignoring warnings of ethanol in our gas used for small engines like these. The ethanol destroys the carbs, lines, gromets. It IS worth it to go thru the trouble to get the NON-ethanol or RV gas, I believe it is also called; $3/gl here.

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT NORMALLY SHOP AT HD DUE TO ITS CONTINUED SUPPORT OF THE PERVERSION GROUP. ONLY WHEN LOWE'S, MY FAVORITE, HAS NOTHING SIMILAR.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT NORMALLY SHOP AT HD DUE TO ITS CONTINUED SUPPORT OF THE PERVERSION GROUP. ONLY WHEN LOWE'S, MY FAVORITE, HAS NOTHING SIMILAR.

Funny. All my lefty friends avoid HD because their founder is a right-winger, whereas the Lowes CEO is more openly progressive.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you are willing to spend a little more money, Stihl makes great trimmers that last. But depending on how much you use it, the cost may not be worth it for you.
I know what you mean about Stihl, I almost bought a used one but someone grabbed it up. A new one is too much for me.
Thanks for the recommend though.:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A lot of times you can get obscure parts on ebay, and it's very cost-effective.
Oh boy, nothing but problems with ebay tools. Two of the sellers swore they had the right cap. They lied and sent me the wrong one from two different sellers thinking i wouldn't send it back because the cost to mail was more then the part but it was the I wasn't going to let them get away with it even though it cost me for nothing. I won't buy anything like that from ebay again. 6 things in a row were wrong. All were low priced and a way to get rid of what they had that was obsolete thinking a dummy like me wouldn't return them. Amazon did the exact same thing and when returned the seller asked to describe it even though before he sent it he said he had the exact model number.
Sorry, I am still steaming and ebay is all for the seller they don't care about the buyers anymore. Thanks for taking the time to give your suggestion though:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have one of these Black & Deckers:
BLACK+DECKER 14 in. 6.5-Amp Corded Electric Straight Shaft Single Line 2-in-1 String Grass Trimmer/Lawn Edger-GH900 - The Home Depot

It works well enough, but they follow the Gillette pricing model wherein they charge little up front but get you on the consumables. The whole trimmer is only $50 (including one spool), but the string comes on cartridges that are $9 each and don't last too long. I'm sure we could buy a larger spool and rewind it ourselves, but yard work is mostly my wife's domain and I can't be bothered with it.
That sounds like the one Amazon has on sale but they are offering 3 additional spools for I thing 7 dollars more. My question for it is the string heavy enough to handle high grass and can you string them yourself? I don't have time to ask them as I need it before the end of the month.
Thanks for the suggestion, two's the charm:)

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That sounds like the one Amazon has on sale but they are offering 3 additional spools for I thing 7 dollars more. My question for it is the string heavy enough to handle high grass and can you string them yourself? I don't have time to ask them as I need it before the end of the month.
Thanks for the suggestion, two's the charm:)

I haven't tried either high grass or re-stringing myself, but I imagine anything dense would chew through the string pretty quickly.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have a Toro from Home Depot: Toro 2-Cycle 25.4cc Attachment Capable Straight Shaft Gas String Trimmer-51978 - The Home Depot

It is a straight shaft and attachment capable. I have the rototiller for it which is aweesome. The unit is about 10 yrs old and I recently had it fail permenatly, I thought. CArberator and tank line gromet. AMAZINGLY in one last ditch effort to revive it I found the whole carb, lines, filters, and tank gromet seal for under $20 and it is pretty simple to make replacement. I have worked it very hard over the years with the rototiller, sliding two 5# dumbell weights over [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] to ride on rototiller to relieve the downward pressure I have to maintain to keep it deep. Works amazing. Line spool is the bump head and I still have original head but could probably benefit from a new one. It is working fine since "rebuild." IMPORANT NOTE: We should not be ignoring warnings of ethanol in our gas used for small engines like these. The ethanol destroys the carbs, lines, gromets. It IS worth it to go thru the trouble to get the NON-ethanol or RV gas, I believe it is also called; $3/gl here.

I really like toro's, mine always held up for a long time but I don't buy gas trimmers and for some reason I passed the electric up, maybe it was too expensive or I didn't know how popular they are now.
Thanks for you input.:)

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I haven't tried either high grass or re-stringing myself, but I imagine anything dense would chew through the string pretty quickly.
I've seen string almost as thin as thread and I wanted to be sure it is a durable size typical of a good sized string.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We’ve been using Black and Decker electric trimmer for years. We’ve replaced the cap a few times, but that’s it. I think I’ve bought two in the last 16 years.
Two recommendations of the same trimmer. That's got to be it. I am going to check out the Toro but will probably go with the B and D. at Amazon. Seems to be a good price.
Thanks very much!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thanks everyone for replying.
the b and d won.
It didn't say a spool and string was included? Now I am worried about that. Surely there would be one with it?
I am already up a creek if it doesn't as I am a day late in the deadline.
I sure don't like dealing with Amazon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Funny. All my lefty friends avoid HD because their founder is a right-winger, whereas the Lowes CEO is more openly progressive.
There has been a national Christian Boycott of HD going on for years, maybe even a decade, now. Lowe's extends MUCH more recognition and appreciation of Vets than HD, also.

Upvote 0