USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I have two questions that I would like your opinion on.

1) Can an unregenerate person obey the 10 commandments perfectly. Is it possible?

2) Can an regenerated person i.e., a Christian, obey the 10 commandments perfectly? Is it possible?

Please provide both and answer and some backing for your position.

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1) no... because one who does not belong to God violates the first commandment because they do not exalt Him as God.

2) Of course, it isn't only possible it is expected. Otherwise, are we legitimizing stealing? Murder? Not honoring your parents? Loving and serving only the true God? I would ask you or anyone else why you might think we can't do the 10 commandments perfectly?

Upvote 0

Widlast

Feb 11, 2016
Eastern USA
✟35,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have two questions that I would like your opinion on.

1) Can an unregenerate person obey the 10 commandments perfectly. Is it possible?
An unregenerate person would immediately fail on the "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me."

2) Can an regenerated person i.e., a Christian, obey the 10 commandments perfectly? Is it possible?

Please provide both and answer and some backing for your position.
Jesus did. Anyone else, not very likely. And that is the whole point.
That we cannot achieve righteousness by our own efforts.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
1) no... because one who does not belong to God violates the first commandment because they do not exalt Him as God.

2) Of course, it isn't only possible it is expected. Otherwise, are we legitimizing stealing? Murder? Not honoring your parents? Loving and serving only the true God? I would ask you or anyone else why you might think we can't do the 10 commandments perfectly?

You've broken one here and now. You recently said that you had added me to your ignore list and that you would not post on one of my threads again.

I have further argument, but I'll hold it for now.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You've broken one here and now. You recently said that you had added me to your ignore list and that you would not post on one of my threads again.

I have further argument, but I'll hold it for now.
And then I unignored you. Is that a sin? Which of the 10 commandments says that I can't ignore somebody for a time? None... first of all what I did isn't a lie... a lie is an intent to deceive. I simply needed to not be drawn into your level of debate and took a break. But even if that is a lie (it isn't, but for the sake of the point) it isn't bearing false witness which would be telling a falsehood about another. Me ignoring you and then unignoring you isn't bearing false witness so again... which one did I just break?

• Agree
Reactions: singpraise
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
And then I unignored you. Is that a sin? Which of the 10 commandments says that I can't ignore somebody for a time? None... first of all what I did isn't a lie... a lie is an intent to deceive. I simply needed to not be drawn into your level of debate and took a break. But even if that is a lie (it isn't, but for the sake of the point) it isn't bearing false witness which would be telling a falsehood about another. Me ignoring you and then unignoring you isn't bearing false witness so again... which one did I just break?

You lied.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And... tell me why a Christian can't keep the 10 commandments. Are they incapable of stealing? Do they have to go around murdering people? Is it not possible to rest one day, not work? Do you take the wife of other men? I mean really... you can't keep the 10?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
An unregenerate person would immediately fail on the "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me."

Jesus did. Anyone else, not very likely. And that is the whole point.
That we cannot achieve righteousness by our own efforts.

If a man is not capable of keeping the law perfectly, can he be judged for not doing so?

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You lied.
As I just said... lying is an intent to deceive and that is NOT bearing false witness. The commandment doesn't say, "do not lie" (well it might in some weird paraphrased NT ) but the commandment is not bearing false witness. That is specifically telling a false hood about another. If I saw you drive your car into another, and I testified that you didn't do it, that is bearing false witness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
And... tell me why a Christian can't keep the 10 commandments. Are they incapable of stealing? Do they have to go around murdering people? Is it not possible to rest one day, not work? Do you take the wife of other men? I mean really... you can't keep the 10?

Have you ever read the Sermon on the Mount?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
As I just said... lying is an intent to deceive and that is NOT bearing false witness. The commandment doesn't say, "do not lie" (well it might in some weird paraphrased NT ) but the commandment is not bearing false witness. That is specifically telling a false hood about another. If I saw you drive your car into another, and I testified that you didn't do it, that is bearing false witness.

Your word, a vow, was broken, and you broke it. Are you attempting to dodge this?

Upvote 0

Widlast

Feb 11, 2016
Eastern USA
✟35,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If a man is not capable of keeping the law perfectly, can he be judged for not doing so?
He can be, and will be. That is why there is grace. The blood of Christ washes one clean of their faults. Without that you are pretty much doomed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
He can be, and will be. That is why there is grace. The blood of Christ washes one clean of their faults. Without that you are pretty much doomed.

Is it just to punish a man for not doing something that he is incapable of doing?

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever read the Sermon on the Mount?
Jimmy... this is the problem I have with you... you can't answer a question unless the answer allows you to retain your current position. In other words, if your answer shows you to be wrong... you will run off on a tangent and not answer.
  1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
  2. You shall not make idols.
  3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
  4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
  5. Honor your father and your mother.
  6. You shall not murder.
  7. You shall not commit adultery.
  8. You shall not steal.
  9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
  10. You shall not covet
Which one Jimmy? Are you not able to keep from coveting, bearing false witness, stealing, adultery, murder, honoring your parents, resting on one day, profaning His character, making idols and bowing to them, or having other gods? Really... you can't do these?

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Widlast

Feb 11, 2016
Eastern USA
✟35,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is it just to punish a man for not doing something that he is incapable of doing?
He is theoretically capable. He fails due to his own faults.
Is this a poor attempt at blaming God for having standards?

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He is theoretically capable. He fails due to his own faults.
Is this a poor attempt at blaming God for having standards?
That is the point.... if we honestly look at the Hebrew, Greek, old and modern English for the word righteous we find it deals with conforming to divine law. If we are expected to walk in the righteousness of God, that MEANS we are expected to conform to divine law. That doesn't mean we won't fail here and there... for when we do we have an advocate in messiah. But we are still expected to strive to be perfect. God has standards and HE IS LORD... we live by HIS STANDARDS, not ours.

Reactions: 1John2:4
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.