Can anybody baptise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hoser

Anyone can baptise as long as it is in the trinitarian formula. If it is NOT in the trinitarian formula than the baptism is invalid. In other words the formula that Jesus told his apostles to use in Matthew 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, is what must be used. Baptising ONLY in the name of Jesus in an invalid baptism. As I am Catholic I will say that it is preferred that a baptism is performed by a Priest though. Generally only under irregular circumstances should an individual baptise someone. But yes, technically to answer you question, yes anyone can baptise.

Upvote 0

sojourner

Aug 17, 2003
✟753.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
hoser,

Anyone can baptise as long as it is in the trinitarian formula
Being catholic, I'm sure if you checked, you will find that only a person who himself was baptised in the Trinitarian formula can baptise.

I will say that it is preferred that a baptism is performed by a Priest though. Generally only under irregular circumstances should an individual baptise someone. But yes, technically to answer you question, yes anyone can baptise.
Yes, under very irregular circumstances and in some cases rebaptised properly later if that is possible. One does not need water if it is not available either. Again extreme circumstances.

Upvote 0

Forest

Senior Veteran
Jan 3, 2005
In the Forest
✟19,245.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
hoser said:
Anyone can baptise as long as it is in the trinitarian formula. If it is NOT in the trinitarian formula than the baptism is invalid. In other words the formula that Jesus told his apostles to use in Matthew 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, is what must be used. Baptising ONLY in the name of Jesus in an invalid baptism. As I am Catholic I will say that it is preferred that a baptism is performed by a Priest though. Generally only under irregular circumstances should an individual baptise someone. But yes, technically to answer you question, yes anyone can baptise.

Why is it required to be in the trinitarian formula when all the examples in Acts show people being baptised in the name of the Lord Jesus?

Upvote 0

Egghead

Jun 25, 2005
✟2,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forest said:
Why is it required to be in the trinitarian formula when all the examples in Acts show people being baptised in the name of the Lord Jesus?
Ive heard different views of this one.
Its not worth bickering about tho.
The example given in Acts is sufficient.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
(Act 2:38 KJV)

Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Upvote 0

sojourner

Aug 17, 2003
✟753.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Forest,

Because the formula is given by Christ in Matt 28:19. The apostles used that formula, the Church adopted that formula, it has been the practice since the beginning. We do as we are commanded to do. We do not look for reasons not to do as it is directed and practiced from the beginning.

Upvote 0

Forest

Senior Veteran
Jan 3, 2005
In the Forest
✟19,245.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
sojourner said:
Forest,

Because the formula is given by Christ in Matt 28:19. The apostles used that formula, the Church adopted that formula, it has been the practice since the beginning. We do as we are commanded to do. We do not look for reasons not to do as it is directed and practiced from the beginning.

But that is not what the examples in Acts say.

If you conclude that the trinitarian formula is required then I assume that you have to conclude either that the apostle Peter used the wrong formula or that it is not accurately recorded in Acts.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We are Baptized in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Last I checked, the Son is Jesus Christ.

Traditionally, anyone may baptize, although if it is possible, baptism should be by an ordained cleric. It should be done in cold, running water, and the catechumen should be immersed once for each Person. If not cold, running water, then warm, running water. And if there is no such flowing body of water, then cold water should be poured three times, although warm water if even that isn't available. And if this isn't possible, sprinkling three times is just fine.

Upvote 0

sojourner

Aug 17, 2003
✟753.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Forest,

If you conclude that the trinitarian formula is required then I assume that you have to conclude either that the apostle Peter used the wrong formula or that it is not accurately recorded in Acts
We do not need conclude anything. They are not referring to the formula but in whom it is occuring. We are baptised into Christ. It is entrance into His Kingdom. But the formula is trinitarian.
The Apostles did not have a conflict, neither does the Church. We know that from the Didache which is generally accepted to have been written before the last letter of the Canon. It is quite clear that the practice had been in force for some time. It must be assumed right from the very beginning since only a few decades intervene and the first Gospel was not written for almost 20 years after Pentacost.

Just goes to show that the Bible is not clear on everything. Primarily, regarding methods, or practices as it seems none of these were problematic. The Gospels and Acts are a record of history, but all the other NT Books are epistles written to correct to reinforce earlier teachings of the Apostles when they were unable to return sooner.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Egghead

Jun 25, 2005
✟2,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PaladinValer said:
We are Baptized in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
(Act 2:38 KJV)

Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And what does the Gospel according to St. Matthew say, since we want to pick and choose:

St. Matt 28:19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"

As I said before, Baptizing in the Name of Jesus is implied in this passage, for He is the Son.

This is the only passage that complies with a Biblical command, but also historical practice as evidenced in the records.

Game. Set. Match.

Upvote 0

Forest

Senior Veteran
Jan 3, 2005
In the Forest
✟19,245.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
PaladinValer said:
And what does the Gospel according to St. Matthew say, since we want to pick and choose:

St. Matt 28:19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"

As I said before, Baptizing in the Name of Jesus is implied in this passage, for He is the Son.

This is the only passage that complies with a Biblical command, but also historical practice as evidenced in the records.

Game. Set. Match.

I don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying that Peter did not follow the command of Jesus since Peter appears to have baptised only in the name of Jesus?

Upvote 0

Canadian75

Peace-loving Warrior of God
Dec 19, 2004
British Columbia
✟9,834.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
sojourner said:
Being catholic, I'm sure if you checked, you will find that only a person who himself was baptised in the Trinitarian formula can baptise.

Actually even the non-baptized can baptized according to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

"V. WHO CAN BAPTIZE? 1256 The ordinary ministers of Baptism are the bishop and priest and, in the Latin Church, also the deacon.57 In case of necessity, anyone, even a non-baptized person, with the required intention, can baptize58 , by using the Trinitarian baptismal formula. The intention required is to will to do what the Church does when she baptizes. The Church finds the reason for this possibility in the universal saving will of God and the necessity of Baptism for salvation.59 " (Emphasis mine)

Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

vanshan

A Sinner
Mar 5, 2004
✟13,268.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Aside from being trinitarian, it's also essential that the baptism be performed within the context of the True Church established by Christ, rather than offshoots, or schismatic groups, who have create churches for themselves, according to their wisdom and desires. If it is performed outside the Body of Christ, lacks the fullness of the grace of baptism.

Basil

Upvote 0

Canadian75

Peace-loving Warrior of God
Dec 19, 2004
British Columbia
✟9,834.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
vanshan said:
Aside from being trinitarian, it's also essential that the baptism be performed within the context of the True Church established by Christ, rather than offshoots, or schismatic groups, who have create churches for themselves, according to their wisdom and desires. If it is performed outside the Body of Christ, lacks the fullness of the grace of baptism.

Basil

That is an interesting interpretation. Are there any other denominations that only see true baptism as being done in their church? I'm quite happy that the majority (including the RCC) accept baptism as long as it is trinitarian. I've never heard that the Orthodox only consider baptisms done in an Orthodox church as been full and the rest being less than perfect. Is this your interpretation or is the view of majority of Orthodox?

Peace.

Upvote 0

sojourner

Aug 17, 2003
✟753.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Canadian75,

That is an interesting interpretation. Are there any other denominations that only see true baptism as being done in their church? I'm quite happy that the majority (including the RCC) accept baptism as long as it is trinitarian. I've never heard that the Orthodox only consider baptisms done in an Orthodox church as been full and the rest being less than perfect. Is this your interpretation or is the view of majority of Orthodox?

That is the view held by the Orthodox Church. It is a little more complex than just being that simple. Church Canon does not recognize any other baptism, other than its own.
However, canons are guides not rules, thus a bishop can make an economy (oikonomia) exception as long as it was done trinitarian. It becomes valid with the sacrament of Chrismation.
The use of Economy does not make valid the baptism prior to Chrismation of a non-Orthodox baptism.
Canons 46, 47, 50, also 7 of the Second Ecumenical Council, and Canon 95 of the Sixth.

Upvote 0

Iollain

Jer 18:2-6
May 18, 2004
Atlantic Coast
✟8,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
sojourner said:
Canons 46, 47, 50, also 7 of the Second Ecumenical Council, and Canon 95 of the Sixth.

What are these Canons and what is the Second Ecumenical Council and the Canon 95 of the Sixth, is that something like Bethoven's songs?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.