dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
TV shows like Highway to Heaven and others seem to give the impression that angels can be walking around looking just like human beings, and interacting with people.

What are angels? If one is near will one see it? What sort of seeing is it. Can they be photographed?

What does the Bible say on this?

Last edited:

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Real picture of an angel.

This nice gentleman's wife was able to capture a photo of one, it is beautiful. They are Gods messengers and do many things in the spirit realm that we cannot see, I personally sometimes can feel their presence. God bless :angel:

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know that they are messengers and are real, but I cannot testify that I have seen one in the flesh. There are a couple of times in my life when I have wondered if a person I encountered (or who encountered me) might have been an angel "in disguise."

Upvote 0

Noscentia

Nov 19, 2016
USA
✟45,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Why is it always the winged human-shaped messengers we get pictures of? I want to see an Ophanim, the flaming chariot wheel covered in eyes or those Cherubs with the four faces. Maybe they're just more camera shy.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,996.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are numerous accounts of Godly angels being seen such as Gen 19:1; 28:12; Num 22:22; even an ass saw an angel v 25. Godly angels do what Yahweh says (Psa 103). They serve Him.

Godly angels are there whether we see them or not. "For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone." (Psa 91:11-12) "Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?" (Heb 1:14)

Some don't have wings "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." Heb 13;2

The ungodly can transform himself into an angel of light (II Cor 11:14). So if someone reports seeing an angel filled with light and says there are many ways to God, Jesus was just a prophet, etc. then we know it wasn't a Godly angel.

We're not to worship them and Godly angels won't accept our worship. "And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things. Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God." Rev 22:8-9

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
J.P. Moreland is a Christian Apologist and has had two occasions in which 3 Angels appeared visibly.

I think they do things in our sleep as well that go on unnoticed. I used to wake up in the middle of the night sitting Indian style as kid and staring blankly in front of me. This happened to a point of annoyance for me because I would wake up like that and then have to lay back down sometimes 10x a night. One morning a tiny fragment or photograph of a memory slipped through to my consciousness and I saw a tiny piece of what was happening during those times. It was kind of like when you recall a dream you had earlier that morning but had forgotten, but in this case the dream began with me sitting Indian style and turning my head slowly and trance like to the right. There I saw two angels side by side, white robes, blond hair. I don't know if they had wings, it was decades ago and I can't remember that part. I did get the sense that they were trying to accomplish something regarding me, like they were there to complete a task. No idea what. I suspect we see them or have interaction with them more than we know, but we are not allowed to remember.

Upvote 0

Andrew4jesus

Apr 25, 2017
Banbury
✟24,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nobody on this planet has seen an angel or any other supernatural phenomena and can prove it, just like NASA with all its billions of pounds and super telescopes and deep space probes has no proof of life beyond our world. Its make believe until there is proof.
Its unprovable because it does not exsist, just like faith healing and talking to the spirits, its fantasy.
I'm not saying it has never exsisted on this earth as I wasn't around thousands of years ago and the concept of a great and mighty God or carver of the universe is definitely a possibility.
You can read as many verses in the bible as you like but it still doesn't prove anything.

Risen through Christ :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,996.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Our physical senses can have spiritual purposes such as:
-Isaiah 6:1-10, sight (vision) and heard
-Peter saw, heard, and felt an angel. Acts 12:7
-In I Kings 19:7, Elijah saw and ate the food (food usually has a smell).
-Ezekiel wrote, "So I ate it, and it tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth" (Ezek. 3:1-3). John received a scroll from an angel. He wrote, "It tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth, but when I had eaten it, my stomach turned sour" (Rev. 10:8-10).

Shown in other Scriptures such as Isaiah 6:1-2; Acts 12:7; I Kings 19:7; Ezek 3:1-3; Rev 10:8-10.

Whatever Yahweh does, He has a purpose. He moves the way He wants. The physical is limited which contrast with Godly supernatural because it's limitless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't understand how seeing a photo of something the bible speaks of can increase faith? would it not make faith unnecessary?

So I question whether a photo can strengthen faith. Now i have read accounts from christians who have experienced the presence of an angel (for instance Leanne Payne wrote a couple of times in her books of having been given a message by an angel) but they don't attempt to take photos, and i think that is wiser.

I don't really find photos helpful or faith strengthening.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TV shows like Highway to Heaven and others seem to give the impression that angels can be walking around looking just like human beings, and interacting with people.

TV Shows and Movies are no basis on which to define God's truth.

The Bible is the source of God's truth. Some people of the Bible had encounters with angels. Not one account in the Bible portrays the angel as some little baby with wings, nor some extremely beautiful woman. Almost all accounts in the Bible of encounters with angels, the person who encountered them was absolutely terrified on first sight of the angel. One angel in the Old Testament wiped out more than 186,000 people. You do not mess around with angels.

Hollywood and the popular media has done much damage to falsely portray angels as tiny little babies with wings shooting little love arrows at people or very beautiful women, neither of which is biblical.

What are angels?

Angels are messengers of God, and they do nothing but directly carry out God's commands. And angels glorify God and Him alone, not themselves.

If one is near will one see it?

Depends on if it is the will of God.

Upvote 0

Andrew4jesus

Apr 25, 2017
Banbury
✟24,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes in the Bible angelic messengers seem quite often to appear with the words 'Fear not."
I'd think I would still be afraid to start with, even when they say this. :-(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What are angels? If one is near will one see it? What sort of seeing is it. Can they be photographed?

What does the Bible say on this?

In their true form, you can not see angels with your physical eyes, as their true form is no form, formless. The world above us is infinite world, just as would world is the finite world. Our world is as cut out from the infinite world.

In some sense, however, this also applies to us human Christians (who are brothers and sisters of angels), as we should see each other by our hearts, not our outward form.

Angels do take human disguise, even Jesus was said by Paul to 'disguise himself as human' -- difference there, however, is Jesus did become human, was born from a woman, and lived a life as a human, even dying as a human. Angels take temporary forms and their work does not require them to be born and stuck in a singular body or life. These temporary forms can, however, be long term, or have every appearance of being long term.

When they do take these forms, everything is real. Their bodies, clothes, anything material which might accompany them.

For the Heavenly, reality is as manipulatable as a dream or virtual reality.

Angels can be photographed.

If you are near one you can see them, unless they are not allowing you to.

I have, for whatever reason, worked a lot with angels. One of the primary focuses of my work God has given me over the decades. However, I might add here, the more I have seen, the more I have learned, the more I have learned I do not know. (Really, like anything one studies well.)

One of the hardest things for me to believe was that they can have persistence here on earth, and take on elaborate "disguises" with full legends and "backup". If you have studied undercover cops or spies, you can get an idea of what I am talking about here.

If you are wondering,it took God years to persuade me of this. And I am a pretty open minded, intelligent fellow who was early on able to believe some pretty fantastic things.

I had to see a great deal of evidence to really, firmly, believe this was true.

For whatever reason, God obliged.

There are a lot of angels among us. Do they cover the entire world's population? I would not put that past God.

Back to an angel's form, I will note: before God showed me I was around angels - I was thinking that these were just exceptional people filled with the Spirit of God - God had a regular looking man transfigure into "one like a son of man" before my very eyes.

That one event, as massive as it was, was the foundation for a good twenty plus years of revelations to follow about angels in disguise.

(If you are wondering, God has yet to show me really 'why' or to do anything with any of this. I am as waiting for a mission. )

So, on "what is the real form", it is like that, like how Jesus looks transfigured, or Moses or Elijah. I could describe it, but John describes him well in Revelation. I can actually add details not there. And details on the actual transformation, which was only briefly covered in one of the three accounts of the transfiguration. But, that is not what is most important.

Almost anyone, can be an angel. As for some of the oddest things I have seen? One angel actually being many different people at the very same time. Second to that, evidence that an angel can keep an "avatar" or "human body self" "running" even while they are no longer much using that old avatar. How that works, I have yet to understand.

But, there is much about angels I do not understand.

As for Scripture, I mean, there is a lot.

Hebrews has a verse that warns people to treat strangers well, as many have entertained angels in disguise unaware. Initially, I believed that meant only literal strangers, and could only accept a homeless person as an angel. That is where God started with me... and expanded outward from there.

How so? Well, even a close friend you may think you know. And you may know them well. But, they could be an angel, and you would not know them. Who we really are, after all, is as Jesus, who answered those who thought they knew who he really was and where he was from, "you do not know where I come from, nor where I am going".

For us Christians, I do believe it is safe to say, while we know Jesus, we are also still always learning new things about Jesus. Situations are dynamic, and people are as dynamic as the river of situations we view them in.

Anyway, as in a dream, where you doubt the reality of something, and the dream provides evidence? That is how deep their disguise can go.

Like with a really well resourced deep cover spy or cop, they can have paper trails, people asserting they went to high school with them, religious and political biases, fans of xyz movie, music, tv... job histories... parents... friends they hang out with... houses full of used stuff... on and on it goes.

Can I provide Scripture for that? Scripture does not explain all the mysteries of the world. None of this goes against Scripture. Jesus speaks of angels going out into the fields. The fields are the world. Revelation speaks of the stars falling from Heaven to earth. The stars are representative of the angels. (They are not here because they are rejected, they are working.)

The parable of the goats shows everyone as having dealt with Jesus. Everyone. And they did not know it. How could Jesus be in so many places? Angels.

The similar parable of the ten virgins, is also about everyone. Not just Christians. Christians who are real would be the vigilant virgins. Everyone is waiting, longing for someone or something greater, even Muslims, Hindus, atheists... but it also could be they have known them. Because they have known Jesus through angels.

Which brings me to a final point here: 'one like a son of man' is the term given to Jesus in his glorified body. What scripture asserts that an angel could appear as Jesus in that body, and speak as Jesus in the first person as if they are Jesus? Revelation. Near the end, John falls down to worship whom he thought was Jesus in glorified form. But, then, the 'one like a son of man' confirms he is an angel. The angel of Jesus. And asks that he not worship him.

Then, Jesus continues, "I, Jesus, have sent my angel to you..."

So, yes, angels can be "as Jesus", so as to effectively create clone incarnations of Jesus in every conceivable form, across the whole earth.

Is that what has happened? I do not know.

I know it could happen, and that says something about the nature of 'angels in disguise'. But, I do not know if that is God's plan and what is happening. Me, I am surrounded by angels, and not sure why. I was not always aware of this. Others could be in my circumstances. You could be, and just not yet informed of it.

So... hope that helps.

You definitely ended up asking the right person.

• Informative
Reactions: DebUS
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Nobody on this planet has seen an angel or any other supernatural phenomena and can prove it, just like NASA with all its billions of pounds and super telescopes and deep space probes has no proof of life beyond our world. Its make believe until there is proof.
Its unprovable because it does not exsist, just like faith healing and talking to the spirits, its fantasy.
I'm not saying it has never exsisted on this earth as I wasn't around thousands of years ago and the concept of a great and mighty God or carver of the universe is definitely a possibility.
You can read as many verses in the bible as you like but it still doesn't prove anything.

Risen through Christ :)
Andrew, you have just trashed countless verses of scripture with your boastful statements. Just because you are riddled with unbelief, it doesn't cancel scripture or cancel what other people have personally experienced or witnessed.

Many people have seen angels, my wife and myself and other friends included. I doubt it will penetrate your self proclaimed hardness, but I shall explain one example for the benefit of others.

About ten years ago, I was part of a very small Pentecostal church. We were worshiping deeply and I had my eyes closed. Then I opened my eyes for a moment and looked towards the music group at the front.

Apart from an additional guitarist, the musicians all belonged to one family which I knew very well.
Behind the lady on the keyboard there was a man sat playing a strange stringed instrument on his lap. He was dressed in radiant white and was translucent in appearance. An angel had joined in with the worship!

I was so lost in the worship that his presence didn't shock or surprise me. I just continued worshipping the Lord.

As usual, after the meeting ended a number of us went around to the home of the musician family.
As we chatted I suddenly remembered what I had seen and proceeded to describe the angel to the keyboard lady.
She then described what she had seen.
As she played the keyboard she became conscious of other sounds in time with hers but not coming from the guitarists. Curious she pushed the stops in that controlled the sustain yet the music carried on playing.
She then suddenly lifted her hands off the keys and raised them high in the air, and still the music continued.
Then she swivelled around in her seat and saw the visiting angel sitting right behind her!

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In their true form, you can not see angels with your physical eyes, as their true form is no form, formless. The world above us is infinite world, just as would world is the finite world. Our world is as cut out from the infinite world.

In some sense, however, this also applies to us human Christians (who are brothers and sisters of angels), as we should see each other by our hearts, not our outward form.

Angels do take human disguise, even Jesus was said by Paul to 'disguise himself as human' -- difference there, however, is Jesus did become human, was born from a woman, and lived a life as a human, even dying as a human. Angels take temporary forms and their work does not require them to be born and stuck in a singular body or life. These temporary forms can, however, be long term, or have every appearance of being long term.

When they do take these forms, everything is real. Their bodies, clothes, anything material which might accompany them.

For the Heavenly, reality is as manipulatable as a dream or virtual reality.

Angels can be photographed.

If you are near one you can see them, unless they are not allowing you to.

I have, for whatever reason, worked a lot with angels. One of the primary focuses of my work God has given me over the decades. However, I might add here, the more I have seen, the more I have learned, the more I have learned I do not know. (Really, like anything one studies well.)

One of the hardest things for me to believe was that they can have persistence here on earth, and take on elaborate "disguises" with full legends and "backup". If you have studied undercover cops or spies, you can get an idea of what I am talking about here.

If you are wondering,it took God years to persuade me of this. And I am a pretty open minded, intelligent fellow who was early on able to believe some pretty fantastic things.

I had to see a great deal of evidence to really, firmly, believe this was true.

For whatever reason, God obliged.

There are a lot of angels among us. Do they cover the entire world's population? I would not put that past God.

Back to an angel's form, I will note: before God showed me I was around angels - I was thinking that these were just exceptional people filled with the Spirit of God - God had a regular looking man transfigure into "one like a son of man" before my very eyes.

That one event, as massive as it was, was the foundation for a good twenty plus years of revelations to follow about angels in disguise.

(If you are wondering, God has yet to show me really 'why' or to do anything with any of this. I am as waiting for a mission. )

So, on "what is the real form", it is like that, like how Jesus looks transfigured, or Moses or Elijah. I could describe it, but John describes him well in Revelation. I can actually add details not there. And details on the actual transformation, which was only briefly covered in one of the three accounts of the transfiguration. But, that is not what is most important.

Almost anyone, can be an angel. As for some of the oddest things I have seen? One angel actually being many different people at the very same time. Second to that, evidence that an angel can keep an "avatar" or "human body self" "running" even while they are no longer much using that old avatar. How that works, I have yet to understand.

But, there is much about angels I do not understand.

As for Scripture, I mean, there is a lot.

Hebrews has a verse that warns people to treat strangers well, as many have entertained angels in disguise unaware. Initially, I believed that meant only literal strangers, and could only accept a homeless person as an angel. That is where God started with me... and expanded outward from there.

How so? Well, even a close friend you may think you know. And you may know them well. But, they could be an angel, and you would not know them. Who we really are, after all, is as Jesus, who answered those who thought they knew who he really was and where he was from, "you do not know where I come from, nor where I am going".

For us Christians, I do believe it is safe to say, while we know Jesus, we are also still always learning new things about Jesus. Situations are dynamic, and people are as dynamic as the river of situations we view them in.

Anyway, as in a dream, where you doubt the reality of something, and the dream provides evidence? That is how deep their disguise can go.

Like with a really well resourced deep cover spy or cop, they can have paper trails, people asserting they went to high school with them, religious and political biases, fans of xyz movie, music, tv... job histories... parents... friends they hang out with... houses full of used stuff... on and on it goes.

Can I provide Scripture for that? Scripture does not explain all the mysteries of the world. None of this goes against Scripture. Jesus speaks of angels going out into the fields. The fields are the world. Revelation speaks of the stars falling from Heaven to earth. The stars are representative of the angels. (They are not here because they are rejected, they are working.)

The parable of the goats shows everyone as having dealt with Jesus. Everyone. And they did not know it. How could Jesus be in so many places? Angels.

The similar parable of the ten virgins, is also about everyone. Not just Christians. Christians who are real would be the vigilant virgins. Everyone is waiting, longing for someone or something greater, even Muslims, Hindus, atheists... but it also could be they have known them. Because they have known Jesus through angels.

Which brings me to a final point here: 'one like a son of man' is the term given to Jesus in his glorified body. What scripture asserts that an angel could appear as Jesus in that body, and speak as Jesus in the first person as if they are Jesus? Revelation. Near the end, John falls down to worship whom he thought was Jesus in glorified form. But, then, the 'one like a son of man' confirms he is an angel. The angel of Jesus. And asks that he not worship him.

Then, Jesus continues, "I, Jesus, have sent my angel to you..."

So, yes, angels can be "as Jesus", so as to effectively create clone incarnations of Jesus in every conceivable form, across the whole earth.

Is that what has happened? I do not know.

I know it could happen, and that says something about the nature of 'angels in disguise'. But, I do not know if that is God's plan and what is happening. Me, I am surrounded by angels, and not sure why. I was not always aware of this. Others could be in my circumstances. You could be, and just not yet informed of it.

So... hope that helps.

You definitely ended up asking the right person.

You don't need to be able to explain everything to have faith. :) Please don't take offence at this , but you are asserting a lot of stuff and some of it just doesn't fly (pardon the pun), it is coming over as free-wheeling speculation. For that reason I would urge you not to believe everything you think :)

The question of Angels is one that we have not had disclosed in any detail in Scripture.

I don't have any fixed theory. Though I think we cannot see them ordinarily.

Scripturally they exist and people in the Bible have encountered them in various manners. We can perhaps also say some angels are engaged in adoration, based on Isaiah's vision. The rest, for instance them having wings I take as imagery. Not mere imagery, but meaningful imagery, which tells us about God.

Angels having wings is not an article of faith for me. I don't need to see one to accept they may be active and that without my awareness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Andrew, you have just trashed countless verses of scripture with your boastful statements. Just because you are riddled with unbelief, it doesn't cancel scripture or cancel what other people have personally experienced or witnessed.

Many people have seen angels, my wife and myself and other friends included. I doubt it will penetrate your self proclaimed hardness, but I shall explain one example for the benefit of others.

About ten years ago, I was part of a very small Pentecostal church. We were worshiping deeply and I had my eyes closed. Then I opened my eyes for a moment and looked towards the music group at the front.

Apart from an additional guitarist, the musicians all belonged to one family which I knew very well.
Behind the lady on the keyboard there was a man sat playing a strange stringed instrument on his lap. He was dressed in radiant white and was translucent in appearance. An angel had joined in with the worship!

I was so lost in the worship that his presence didn't shock or surprise me. I just continued worshipping the Lord.

As usual, after the meeting ended a number of us went around to the home of the musician family.
As we chatted I suddenly remembered what I had seen and proceeded to describe the angel to the keyboard lady.
She then described what she had seen.
As she played the keyboard she became conscious of other sounds in time with hers but not coming from the guitarists. Curious she pushed the stops in that controlled the sustain yet the music carried on playing.
She then suddenly lifted her hands off the keys and raised them high in the air, and still the music continued.
Then she swivelled around in her seat and saw the visiting angel sitting right behind her!

The problem today is many people and many christians lack the category of truth, and also lack discernment. I am not speaking of Andrew here, I don't know him.

The problem is made worse however for more modern minded believers by some of these accounts of the supernatural, some of which may be false, and counterfeit.

I know about this as I had an unhealthy interest in the preternatural, unexplained mysteries and such many years ago, and after a horrendous time through which my sanity seemed at stake, I prayed and asked God to bring some good out of the situation. I began to think about how vivid descriptions of the supernatural even when what is talked about is the christian supernatural could be pushing some christians towards skepticism, and making others feel second class. I don't claim that was an insight that came from God.

But things are at a stage when the comments of a sober agnostic in some threads, would at times be welcome.

A genuine skeptic has a important part, in a faith community. A skeptic of the common sense realist variety like MacPhee in CS Lewis's novel That Hideous Strength.

I wonder if in some christian circles if there is much of a love of Truth, and a gift of discernment or just a desire for mystical experiences (spiritual lust), a fear of being on the outside in a circle that puts an unscriptural premium on having mystical experiences??

I am sorry to have brought up the discussion to be honest but it was to bring things back to the Bible, not to encourage others to speculate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Every contemporary experience of this sort needs tested, not merely reported.

How are these experiences to be weighed and tested?

Clearly not by setting up a camera, that would be crass and merely cater for those interested in a phenomenon for its own sake. It would not yield discernment.

Do they glorify the God who inspired the Bible and sent His beloved Son to our world to pay the price for Redemption on a Cross?

The gift of discernment also is a spiritual gift.

When I read about people encountering angels in the Bible the difference is a truth about God and his dealings with humankind comes through the narrative. When I read some of these contemporary stories I often end up wondering whats the point of this?

If I had an experience of this kind I might be well to check my attitude towards those who have not had them - how do I view myself, as a higher level christian? Do I think less of the ministry of those who have never had them? Both attitudes would show a sign of pride.

For myself I find though I have never had such an experience, I find some accounts strain my credulity a great deal, while others I am closer to accepting, because they lack the sensational element that seems a hallmark of counterfeit experiences and reporting.

But it doesn't matter, the last thing I want, and need is to hear of peoples angel encounters, especially if those people condemn unlovingly all who don't believe their stories - in that case just keep them to you and friends - your experiences are not an article of the faith. Just because someone disbelieves them does not mean they are unbelieving.

There is a real need for discernment today. And that's not about letting ones mind go free-wheeling. The issue is that the supernatural does exist, but the supernatural is a created realm too.

But the place to and weigh and test obviously is not the Internet. To submit such stories on a forums is unwise and not circumspect - how would it glorify God?

Last edited:
Upvote 0