• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Can an intentional thought be blasphemy?

Job405

Jesus Christ Matters
Site Supporter
May 17, 2020
Uusimaa
✟143,890.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Proverbs 24:9 The thought of foolishness is sin: and the scorner is an abomination to men.
Matthew 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Considering the mere thought of foolishness is sin, can an intentional blasphemous thought be blasphemy? Ultimately all sin originates from the mind, before it becomes an action or a spoken or written word.

There are two types of intentional thoughts, those that come from the heart, thoughts that you believe, and thoughts that you don't believe but you have in your mind. Like I can intentionally think "elephants are yellow" while not believing it.

Matthew 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Can you therefore blaspheme the Holy Spirit with a single intentional thought, whether it is from the heart or not?

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Proverbs 24:9 The thought of foolishness is sin: and the scorner is an abomination to men.
Matthew 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Considering the mere thought of foolishness is sin, can an intentional blasphemous thought be blasphemy? Ultimately all sin originates from the mind, before it becomes an action or a spoken or written word.

There are two types of intentional thoughts, those that come from the heart, thoughts that you believe, and thoughts that you don't believe but you have in your mind. Like I can intentionally think "elephants are yellow" while not believing it.

Matthew 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Can you therefore blaspheme the Holy Spirit with a single intentional thought, whether it is from the heart or not?
I think those of us with OCD tend to think that this sin (along with many others) is MUCH easier to commit than it actually is. We fail to realize that no matter what our minds think, we don't actually desire to commit the sin, even if our OCD tricks us into feeling like we do. We have a problem with way, way, way over-analyzing our thoughts and feelings until we don't even know what we think or feel. We become unable to think with our intuition because we spend so much time hyper-focused on teensy details of our thoughts and emotions which don't even really mean anything. The good thing is, we can practice NOT hyper-analyzing, and not listening to the OCD or doing what it wants, and we gradually become able to think "normally" again.

Upvote 0

Ann77

Jun 30, 2020
California
✟25,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think those of us with OCD tend to think that this sin (along with many others) is MUCH easier to commit than it actually is. We fail to realize that no matter what our minds think, we don't actually desire to commit the sin, even if our OCD tricks us into feeling like we do. We have a problem with way, way, way over-analyzing our thoughts and feelings until we don't even know what we think or feel. We become unable to think with our intuition because we spend so much time hyper-focused on teensy details of our thoughts and emotions which don't even really mean anything. The good thing is, we can practice NOT hyper-analyzing, and not listening to the OCD or doing what it wants, and we gradually become able to think "normally" again.
Man, this is so me the past 8 months! Thank you.

Upvote 0