Can an Eastern Orthodox Priest ask The Laity to pray for him ?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I thought that Christian priests were just ordinary believers who have been commissioned to a particular leadership role in the church. Every believer is equal in God's sight, because we were all equal as sinners deserving of hell, and all equally born again and have received the same Holy Spirit. A priest does not have more of the Holy Spirit than an ordinary believer, nor has he a closer place with God to receive revelation than what comes to ordinary believers.

Yes, we have the highest respect for our Christian leaders, because they perform a very responsible role and are subject to a more intensive judgment and accounting because of it. Therefore a priest will perform his role with absolutely humility, dependence on Christ, and with the fear of God.

Therefore he needs our prayers more than anyone else in the church.

while true, a priest doesn't have more of the Spirit than the laity, he is set aside for ministry that the laity is not.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,240.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Safehaven alert. Beware you're in the Eastern Orthodox part of the forums.
I don't see a problem in posting something of a fellowship nature. It is that I would not be allowed to debate issues that are meaningful to Eastern Orthodox believers, or to demean anyone here because of their church allegiance. All I have done is to state exactly what is in the same Scriptures that Eastern Orthodox believers hold to.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,240.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
while true, a priest doesn't have more of the Spirit than the laity, he is set aside for ministry that the laity is not.
Absolutely. He has been set apart by the Holy Spirit to do the work that He has set for him to do. Therefore he deserves honour and respect for the God-given position he has in the church.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely. He has been set apart by the Holy Spirit to do the work that He has set for him to do. Therefore he deserves honour and respect for the God-given position he has in the church.

correct

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't see a problem in posting something of a fellowship nature. It is that I would not be allowed to debate issues that are meaningful to Eastern Orthodox believers, or to demean anyone here because of their church allegiance. All I have done is to state exactly what is in the same Scriptures that Eastern Orthodox believers hold to.
Just as a point, it's also against the rules to "teach contrary to what a particular congregation believes". I don't think you've done that though.

To your post, I would only add that while a priest is not given a special measure of the Holy Spirit as you say - not every believer is equal in their communion with the Holy Spirit. Some are in fact more holy, or in closer communion. (I might not be saying this technically correctly.) But there are certainly ones whose prayers we may especially covet above others, those whose prayers frequently see miraculous answers.

That is not conferred by merely being a priest though, no more than it is necessary to be a priest to achieve this. It is acquired through seeking God deeply and setting oneself apart for God (loving God and not the world). And purely up to God what grace He grants to whom.

Welcome to TAW btw. :)

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,240.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Just as a point, it's also against the rules to "teach contrary to what a particular congregation believes". I don't think you've done that though.

To your post, I would only add that while a priest is not given a special measure of the Holy Spirit as you say - not every believer is equal in their communion with the Holy Spirit. Some are in fact more holy, or in closer communion. (I might not be saying this technically correctly.) But there are certainly ones whose prayers we may especially covet above others, those whose prayers frequently see miraculous answers.

That is not conferred by merely being a priest though, no more than it is necessary to be a priest to achieve this. It is acquired through seeking God deeply and setting oneself apart for God (loving God and not the world). And purely up to God what grace He grants to whom.

Welcome to TAW btw. :)
I will take your word for it, and appreciate your support. I am very aware that I have to be careful about what I say in this forum, and also very aware that some may misjudge me because of my "Pentecostal" ID. I have retained that ID only because I want to be free to argue the point with those in the Pentecostal/Charismatic forums, not because I subscribe to everything in Charismatic theology and practice.

I think that faith has a lot to do with the depth of a believer's fellowship with God. Different believers have different levels of faith, from totally strong faith in the promises of God, to a very weak faith where a believer is just hanging on by the skin of his teeth. Both will get to heaven, no problem, because Jesus will not quench a smoking flax or crush just a small spark of spiritual life.

There are different types of Christian believers as well. Many feel more secure and comfortable with highly formal, organised and liturgical churches like the Eastern Orthodox. Others feel more comfortable in just an informal home group and not attend a church at all. I believe that God looks on the heart and if the heart is sincere before God, then He accepts them.

If when I move to Christchurch (NZ) in December and there is an Eastern Orthodox church down the road from home, I would have no problem at all joining in with the services and enjoy the worship.

• Friendly
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The priest asks for the prayers of the people during every Divine Liturgy. If it weren't fitting for the priest to ask for our prayers, it wouldn't be part of the Liturgy.

Upvote 0

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0