Can an Eastern Orthodox Priest ask The Laity to pray for him ?

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
(You are in The Eastern Orthodox Forum)

What I mean is can He specifically ask them to pray for Him for healing and other stuff like that ?

I'm not exactly sure how it works in Eastern Orthodoxy. I mean, I'm sure that unofficially the Laity say prayers and ask the Lord to bless their priest but I just wanted to ask if it is ok for The Priest to ask some one who is just a regular Christian for prayers.

Thanks.

Reactions: “Paisios”

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

What I mean is can He specifically ask them to pray for Him for healing and other stuff like that ?

I'm not exactly sure how it works in Eastern Orthodoxy. I mean, I'm sure that unofficially the Laity say prayers and ask the Lord to bless their priest but I just wanted to ask if it is ok for The Priest to ask some one who is just a regular Christian for prayers.

Thanks.

My priest has frequently asked me to pray for him and keep him in my prayers, though not for any specific issue to this point.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be allowed to ask for prayer, though I would imagine he would not ask laity for a blessing.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Thanks.

Absolutely! You should be praying for your Priest anyway as well as your Bishop.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My priest has frequently asked me to pray for him and keep him in my prayers, though not for any specific issue to this point.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be allowed to ask for prayer, though I would imagine he would not ask laity for a blessing.

Thanks for the answer.

That's what I'm trying to get the specifics of. So, he can ask for prayers but not blessings since they are not priests, is that correct ?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the answer.

That's what I'm trying to get the specifics of. So, he can ask for prayers but not blessings since they are not priests, is that correct ?

That sounds right to me, but what do I know? I’ve been Orthodox for less than a year. I hope one of the more learned on this board jump in.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Thanks.

Yes! I have heard the term "I crave your prayers" from many clergy including EO ones. Part of the work of Laity is to pray the liturgy aka "the work of the people", even in various specific liturgies I thought their are specific places it a part of the liturgy where the clergy asks for the congregants to pray for him etc. so why would this not be true on a personal matter?! I really believe, to believe otherwise should require proof according to the basic saint vincent canon / axiom of how Holy Tradition is defined based on antiquity, universality and consensus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes! I have heard the term "I crave your prayers" from many clergy including EO ones. Part of the work of Laity is to pray the liturgy aka "the work of the people", even in various specific liturgies I thought their are specific places it a part of the liturgy where the clergy asks for the congregants to pray for him etc. so why would this not be true on a personal matter?! I really believe, to believe otherwise should require proof according to the basic saint vincent canon / axiom of how Holy Tradition is defined based on antiquity, universality and consensus.
Priest: The clergy, the monastics, all that are persecuted and suffer for the Orthodox Faith; the founders, benefactors, and the brethren of this holy temple, and all of you Orthodox Christians, may the Lord God remember in His kingdom, always, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages.

People: May the Lord God remember thy priesthood in His Kingdom, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

Deacon: May the Lord God remember thy priesthood in His kingdom.

Priest: May the Lord God remember thy sacred diaconate in His kingdom, always, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks again everyone.

I guess I was meaning it as in the sense of Fr. Smith has a cold and sees "Regular Christian Frank" at the grocery store and says, hey Frank can you please pray for me about this cold ?
Can "Regular Christian Frank" lay hands on Fr. Smith and ask The Lord to heal Fr. Smith in The Name Of The Father Son and Holy Spirit ?

Something like that.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks again everyone.

I guess I was meaning it as in the sense of Fr. Smith has a cold and sees "Regular Christian Frank" at the grocery store and says, hey Frank can you please pray for me about this cold ?
Can "Regular Christian Frank" lay hands on Fr. Smith and ask The Lord to heal Fr. Smith in The Name Of The Father Son and Holy Spirit ?

Something like that.

can he? yes. St Mary of Egypt (laywoman) blessed St Zosimas (a priest) at St Zosimas' request.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I thought that Christian priests were just ordinary believers who have been commissioned to a particular leadership role in the church. Every believer is equal in God's sight, because we were all equal as sinners deserving of hell, and all equally born again and have received the same Holy Spirit. A priest does not have more of the Holy Spirit than an ordinary believer, nor has he a closer place with God to receive revelation than what comes to ordinary believers.

Yes, we have the highest respect for our Christian leaders, because they perform a very responsible role and are subject to a more intensive judgment and accounting because of it. Therefore a priest will perform his role with absolute humility, dependence on Christ, and with the fear of God.

If some Pentecostal and Charismatic preachers and leaders had the same attitude, those movements would be a lot better off for it!

Therefore he needs our prayers more than anyone else in the church.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I thought that Christian priests were just ordinary believers who have been commissioned to a particular leadership role in the church. Every believer is equal in God's sight, because we were all equal as sinners deserving of hell, and all equally born again and have received the same Holy Spirit. A priest does not have more of the Holy Spirit than an ordinary believer, nor has he a closer place with God to receive revelation than what comes to ordinary believers.

Yes, we have the highest respect for our Christian leaders, because they perform a very responsible role and are subject to a more intensive judgment and accounting because of it. Therefore a priest will perform his role with absolute humility, dependence on Christ, and with the fear of God.

If some Pentecostal and Charismatic preachers and leaders had the same attitude, those movements would be a lot better off for it!

Therefore he needs our prayers more than anyone else in the church.

Safehaven alert. Beware you're in the Eastern Orthodox part of the forums.

Upvote 0