Can a Sociopath successfully become a Christian?

Apr 18, 2010
✟7,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have a question about sociopathy. Since they apparently don't or can't have morals, is it possible for them to become christians? (I don't live around any to my knowledge, but if anyone does, or has had any experience regarding that subject, or lives around or has been like a socio/psycho - path, like a satanist, your input is welcome.)

Just curious :sorry:

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting question. My first thought would be that Sociopaths have an orientation towards amoral conduct, but the Holy Spirit could work through them to keep it under wraps. Similarly, a pedophile is a pedophile whether he acts on it or not - it's a disposition and orientation. What separates the vile, evil pedophile from the Christian one is the Holy Spirit who can help him to keep the immoral impulses under control.

For Sociopaths, the question would be how and when they might seek God in the first place. Still, I've seen God work in surprising ways in people whose brains are not wired the same way as most - including with my own son who has Autistm.

Reactions: ampbelle3130
Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most people don't truly surrender to God until the realize how insufficient our own righteousness is without God. My (very limited) understanding of sociopaths would indicate that they don't always see the sinfulness of their ways. A friend can't convert someone with a hardened heart (sociopath or otherwise). I like to think that God gives even the most amoral brains a window of opportunity or moment of clarity to invite Him in.

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is definitely possible. If you have a chance, check out Mark 5:1-20

It tells the story of a demon-possessed man who was completely nutzo, who once he met Jesus, completely changed. If Jesus can completely change demon-possessed people, I see no reason why He couldn't change a sociopath.

Upvote 0

ChildOfGod97

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
✟16,465.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I have a question about sociopathy. Since they apparently don't or can't have morals, is it possible for them to become christians? (I don't live around any to my knowledge, but if anyone does, or has had any experience regarding that subject, or lives around or has been like a socio/psycho - path, like a satanist, your input is welcome.)

Just curious :sorry:

Sociopath is an arbitrary word.

People like to make out psychiatric labels as being akin to medical labels. They are not.

It is an abstract attempting to explain an abstract phenomenon of an extremely complex system. If humans are not extremely complex, what is?

I use the term myself, but loosely. Very loosely.

You have to be careful of the insane premises the world paints for people. It seems rational until one sees how they have left God out of it. It may work for awhile, but that is just a trap.

I would ask, "Imagine how a psychiatrist would react to a prophet, one of the writers of the Bible apart from any evidence that we have today". Because even atheist psychiatrists rarely dare try and do this. When they do it can be summed up really as "something bad happened in their life so now they are not trusting in God because they are shallow people".

Or, maybe a psychiatrist could do an analysis of God. How would that turn out.

Christians are children of God. People are made in the image of God.

So how can people understand people when they act as if God does not exist? It is limited. They find they have little ability to predict or change man at all. (There are exceptions to this rule, for not all think this way.)

Obviously, drugging a person gives some effect.

Even for me to state these things would strike someone who puts all of their trust in science as God would be impossible for them to understand. It is because they lack a basic honesty, they lack purity of heart.

They also lack the imagination required to consider such theoretical possibilities, which are necessary to consider to find the truth.

There is some impressive psychiatry, but not a lot.

These things sound controversial to say to such people, but why, when the Scriptures are so plain on salvation and man's complete lack of deserving it... would this question ever come up? Do people genuinely consider themselves that deserving of salvation that they think this way?

Why do they put themselves over others?

If you consider yourself a sociopath, however, and the question is for yourself, ask yourself, 'what does Scripture say'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums