Can a Sinner Free Himself From Sin?

Can a Sinner Free Himself From Sin?

• Of course he can! He simply makes the choice with his freewill to stop sinning

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. A sinner must be rescued from his sin. He cannot free himself.

Votes: 15 100.0%

• Total voters

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A sinner can free himself from sin by choosing to obey God's command to be water baptized where God then removes the body of sin.

1 Pet 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth.....

As in Acts 2 they could save themselves (purify their souls) in obeying the command to be water baptized vs 38-40

Upvote 0

Brian Mc

Jun 12, 2017
South East Queensland
✟10,846.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
1 Pet 1:22 Since by your obedience to the Truth {through the} [{Holy} ] {Spirit} you have purified your hearts for the sincere affection of the brethren, [see that you] love one another fervently from a {pure} heart.
1 Pet 1:23 You have been regenerated (born again), not from a mortal origin (seed, sperm), but from one that is immortal by the {ever} living and lasting Word of God

John 6:44 No one is able to come to Me unless the Father Who sent Me attracts {and} draws him {and} gives him the desire to come to Me, and [then] I will raise him up [from the dead] at the last day.

A person turns to the Light & he is cleansed by the light .... if there was no Light, man would only be in darkness.

John 12:46 I have come as a Light into the world, so that whoever believes in Me [whoever cleaves to {and} trusts in {and} relies on Me] may not continue to live in darkness.

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Water baptism is the point where sins are remitted Acts 2:38. Therefore when men choose to obey the truth, that is, obey God's word that commands water baptism then man, in that sense, purifies his own soul.

John 6:45 tells us how the drawing is done: it's done by the truth, the word of God when men are "taught", "heard" and "learned" then men come to Christ. Coming to Christ means doing what Christ has said (Luke 6:46) which includes being water baptized (Mark 16:16). So again, those that obey the command to be water baptized are the ones "saving themselves" (Acts 2:30) the ones that purify their own souls.

Upvote 0

Brian Mc

Jun 12, 2017
South East Queensland
✟10,846.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Water baptism is the point where sins are remitted Acts 2:38. Therefore when men choose to obey the truth, that is, obey God's word that commands water baptism then man, in that sense, purifies his own soul.

John 6:45 tells us how the drawing is done: it's done by the truth, the word of God when men are "taught", "heard" and "learned" then men come to Christ. Coming to Christ means doing what Christ has said (Luke 6:46) which includes being water baptized (Mark 16:16). So again, those that obey the command to be water baptized are the ones "saving themselves" (Acts 2:30) the ones that purify their own souls.

Upvote 0

Brian Mc

Jun 12, 2017
South East Queensland
✟10,846.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Acts 2:38 And Peter answered them, Repent (change your views and purpose to accept the will of God in your inner selves instead of rejecting it) and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of {and} release from your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

John 15:5 I am the Vine; you are the branches. Whoever lives in Me and I in him bears much (abundant) fruit. However, apart from Me [cut off from vital union with Me] you can do nothing.

Zech 4:6 Then he said to me, ............ Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit says the Lord of hosts.

Man (through the deception of Satan ... as happened with Eve in the Garden of Eden,) think they can do/have it all without God's input. It is called pride!

You can swim, dunk yourself, dive under in a river/waterway, or run your shower all day, but unless you have surrendered to Lord Jesus by inviting Him into yourself, NOTHING will happen .... being "saved" & receiving the Holy Spirit is ALL part of Father's plan for man ..... provided ".... so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life."

Jesus set the example, He knew the power & love of Father, He obeyed Father & came to earth to do Father's will. At the appointed time (aged 30) He was directed by Father to come to the River Jordan (to John the Baptist -
John 1:6 There came a man sent from God, whose name was John.
John 1:7 This man came to witness, that he might testify of the Light, that all men might believe in it [adhere to it, trust it, and rely upon it] through him.
John 1:8 He was not the Light himself, but came that he might bear witness regarding the Light.
John 1:9 There it was--the true Light [was then] coming into the world [the genuine, perfect, steadfast Light] that illumines every person
.) ... Jesus was in the guise of man, recognised as a carpenter, & as He went under the water of the Jordan, through the power of God/His Father, the "old man .. the carpenter" was left behind & when He came up out of the water, Jesus received His Father's Spirit (the Holy Spirit) ... so he was transformed into Christ (Anointed) Jesus ... so that through the power of the Holy Spirit could be done all that Father had planned for Him .... water into wine ... heal the sick ... bring the dead back to life ... bear the horrific treatment & being nailed to the cross (no "normal" man could have survived what happened before He made it to Golgotha .... Father's Spirit ... the power & love of Father was in Him ... enabling Him to complete God's will for ALL who believe.)

Jesus didn't do it by His own strength & neither can ANY man!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In my experience the answer is yes, but my experience does not fit either of the answer options.
Well actually the answer is the same answer to nearly every other spiritual question. it is BOTH. The difference depends on your point of view.
Its like the flat earth theory. Question: is the earth flat or round. The answer is both. From the perspective of standing on earth it is flat. From the perspective of space it is round.

So you as a human have zero power to rid yourself of the sinful nature. But you do have the authority to kick evil spirits out. It is called self-deliverance. Once properly done, the mental influence of wicked thoughts is either taken away or minimized to where it is easy to resist.

Will power can do the trick with keeping you from acting on your tendencies, but it cannot stop the thoughts.

Upvote 0

Brian Mc

Jun 12, 2017
South East Queensland
✟10,846.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
In my experience the answer is yes, but my experience does not fit either of the answer options.
Well actually the answer is the same answer to nearly every other spiritual question. it is BOTH. The difference depends on your point of view.
Its like the flat earth theory. Question: is the earth flat or round. The answer is both. From the perspective of standing on earth it is flat. From the perspective of space it is round.

So you as a human have zero power to rid yourself of the sinful nature. But you do have the authority to kick evil spirits out. It is called self-deliverance. Once properly done, the mental influence of wicked thoughts is either taken away or minimized to where it is easy to resist.

Will power can do the trick with keeping you from acting on your tendencies, but it cannot stop the thoughts.

Upvote 0

Brian Mc

Jun 12, 2017
South East Queensland
✟10,846.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Col 3:17 And whatever you do [no matter what it is] in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus {and} in [dependence upon] His Person, giving praise to God the Father through Him.

1 John 4:17 In this [union and communion with Him] love is brought to completion {and} attains perfection with us, that we may have confidence for the day of judgment [with assurance and boldness to face Him], because as He is, so are we in this world.

Only because ....
John 14:23 Jesus answered, If a person [really] loves Me, he will keep My word [obey My teaching]; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home (abode, special dwelling place) with him.
John 14:24 Anyone who does not [really] love Me does not observe {and} obey My teaching. And the teaching which you hear {and} heed is not Mine, but [comes] from the Father Who sent Me.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

The great thing about your theory: No need for a messy cross.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brian Mc

Jun 12, 2017
South East Queensland
✟10,846.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Remember the thief that was on a cross beside Christ Jesus ... he believed & this is what is recorded in the Word of God ....
Luke 23:42 Then he said to Jesus, {Lord,} remember me when You come in Your kingly glory!
Luke 23:43 And He answered him, Truly I tell you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.
Christ Jesus decided ..."No need for baptism!" Father is in control & He knows all (including what our heart is).

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Acts 2:38 And Peter answered them, Repent (change your views and purpose to accept the will of God in your inner selves instead of rejecting it) and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of {and} release from your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

John 15:5 I am the Vine; you are the branches. Whoever lives in Me and I in him bears much (abundant) fruit. However, apart from Me [cut off from vital union with Me] you can do nothing.

Zech 4:6 Then he said to me, ............ Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit says the Lord of hosts.

Man (through the deception of Satan ... as happened with Eve in the Garden of Eden,) think they can do/have it all without God's input. It is called pride!

You can swim, dunk yourself, dive under in a river/waterway, or run your shower all day, but unless you have surrendered to Lord Jesus by inviting Him into yourself, NOTHING will happen .... being "saved" & receiving the Holy Spirit is ALL part of Father's plan for man ..... provided ".... so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life."

Jesus set the example, He knew the power & love of Father, He obeyed Father & came to earth to do Father's will. At the appointed time (aged 30) He was directed by Father to come to the River Jordan (to John the Baptist -
John 1:6 There came a man sent from God, whose name was John.
John 1:7 This man came to witness, that he might testify of the Light, that all men might believe in it [adhere to it, trust it, and rely upon it] through him.
John 1:8 He was not the Light himself, but came that he might bear witness regarding the Light.
John 1:9 There it was--the true Light [was then] coming into the world [the genuine, perfect, steadfast Light] that illumines every person
.) ... Jesus was in the guise of man, recognised as a carpenter, & as He went under the water of the Jordan, through the power of God/His Father, the "old man .. the carpenter" was left behind & when He came up out of the water, Jesus received His Father's Spirit (the Holy Spirit) ... so he was transformed into Christ (Anointed) Jesus ... so that through the power of the Holy Spirit could be done all that Father had planned for Him .... water into wine ... heal the sick ... bring the dead back to life ... bear the horrific treatment & being nailed to the cross (no "normal" man could have survived what happened before He made it to Golgotha .... Father's Spirit ... the power & love of Father was in Him ... enabling Him to complete God's will for ALL who believe.)

Jesus didn't do it by His own strength & neither can ANY man!

Man has a role in his own salvation, he is not totally passive. This is why Peter said 'Seeing ye have purified your souls' and "save yourselves" (Acts 2:40) and Paul told Timothy to 'save thyself' and "cleanse ourselves" 2 Corinthians 7:1; James says "Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts,".

Of course man cannot remit or cleanse away his own sins by himself. Those that obey Christ are promised to have their sins cleansed away, therefore men 'save themselves', "purifies their souls" by choosing to obey Christ.

If man is completely passive, then how does God go about choosing which men will be saved and which ones lost without being a respecter of persons?

Upvote 0

Brian Mc

Jun 12, 2017
South East Queensland
✟10,846.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Man has a role in his own salvation, he is not totally passive. This is why Peter said 'Seeing ye have purified your souls' and "save yourselves" (Acts 2:40) and Paul told Timothy to 'save thyself' and "cleanse ourselves" 2 Corinthians 7:1; James says "Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts,".

Of course man cannot remit or cleanse away his own sins by himself. Those that obey Christ are promised to have their sins cleansed away, therefore men 'save themselves', "purifies their souls" by choosing to obey Christ.

If man is completely passive, then how does God go about choosing which men will be saved and which ones lost without being a respecter of persons?

Upvote 0