Can a lay person preside over the Lord's Supper?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Except they were not ordained in the formal sense.
Sure, they were. That is addressed right in the Bible verses.

There is no mention of theological degrees and indoctrination into a denominational straightjacket.
That's what you think being ordained means??

• Winner
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sure it does, Don't be a Drunk, keep your children in order, be the husband of 1 wife, be given to Hospitality, and Teaching.
Good! If such qualifications -- any qualifications, for that matter -- are laid out in God's word and show us how the early church operated...then it is ridiculous for people to say that just any lay person can be a proper officiant.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good! If such qualifications -- any qualifications, for that matter -- are laid out in God's word and show us how the early church operated...then it is ridiculous for people to say that just any lay person can be a proper officiant.

Unless or until the church closes shop and tells us it's temporarily abolished...

In my state that's until June 10th, and I honestly see no reason not to in the absense of anything resembling a physical church outside my home.

This is what we face. Church packed their bags. I'm not stopping having church, even if its in my home.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That wouldn't make any difference.

God found my husband good enough to lead me to Christ and support me after, I see no issue with continuing all aspects of church, regardless of whether he's a man widowed and therefore not technically within the qualifications.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
God found my husband good enough to lead me to Christ and support me after, I see no issue with continuing all aspects of church, regardless of whether he's a man widowed and therefore not technically within the qualifications.
What are we talking about? I thought it was about the rightness or wrongness of allowing laypersons to officiate at the Lord's Supper.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What are we talking about? I thought it was about the rightness or wrongness of allowing laypersons to officiate at the Lord's Supper.

Yep. That's what we are talking about. My husband never became an ordained minister....

And I'll be honest, I think the question must also be asked whether the ministers who closed their churches contrary to all teachings of scripture are themselves qualified to administer the sacraments?

Since we are talking biblical qualifications here, shouldn't you actually follow scripture and believe in its words?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yep. That's what we are talking about. My husband never became an ordained minister....
That's true for most husbands. So....?

The issue is not "Who is eligible (or qualified) to become a called and ordained minister of the Gospel," but rather "Does such a position exist at all, according to the Bible?"

Obviously it does, I contended. And that means that not just anyone can come up from the congregation and conduct a service of Holy Communion. We also have plenty of ordinary church history to back up this conclusion if there is any question about it from a reading of the New Testament.

However, it isn't an argument about which denomination does what. We all should realize that different church bodies do things differently from other ones. The Catholics have a Pope while Quakers, for instance, have no clergy at all and no sacraments to administer or distribute to anybody!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's true for most husbands. So....?

So, that's the definition of lay person yes? Someone who is neither ordained or an elder (regardless of whether it was by choice or not).

And this is a huge question, what does qualified mean today?

I'm seriously considering stopping attendance even if churches open again... I don't know whether I even can trust those who so easily stopped following scripture to consider them anything resembling a church body. How are people who don't follow scripture qualified to call themselves ministers and elders?

Seems more a game they are playing at than a faith they believe in..

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Acts 2.42 is likely to be practised until the Rapture, in one way or another. It's a line of doctrine and practice rather than a line of clerisy, as I see it.
Acts 2:46-47 nails it down further though. If you put the whole thing together in context from 42-47 you get an even clearer picture. Amen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, that's the definition of lay person yes? Someone who is neither ordained or an elder (regardless of whether it was by choice or not).

And this is a huge question, what does qualified mean today?

I'm seriously considering stopping attendance even if churches open again... I don't know whether I even can trust those who so easily stopped following scripture to consider them anything resembling a church body. How are people who don't follow scripture qualified to call themselves ministers and elders?

Seems more a game they are playing at than a faith they believe in..
Acts 2.41-42 is a good basic guide for local church activities.

• Agree
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm seriously considering stopping attendance even if churches open again...
And there you have it. Those in power, be it religion or government of man, fear losing the support of the masses. In this case people are going to find they can have a personal relationship with God and each other, eliminating the middleman.

Hierarchy builds upon itself. Man is never content. A tribe will follow an alpha inhabitant.Tribes will amalgamate for greater protection under a new level of leadership. Those constituencies become provinces and states and they in turn become countries and even empires. Not content with that level of power some seek a global government over all. The next step beyond global of course is to proclaim a level of government akin to God. Such is the way of man. God on the other hand sent a poor unassuming man who simply said don't rebel against these men who seek power and glory who have built a world in their own image, but instead treat each other as equals and love all as self.

What man does in government and religion goes against the principles of the Kingdom of God. In the Kingdom there is no gain at the expense of another. Gain is made at the expense of oneself. Christianity has adopted the same governance as the world of man. It rejected the Kingdom long ago when it went into partnership with a government of man and the governing hierarchies became of one mind, not of God but of the world..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
According to his own revelation, his word...he's actually doing both.

He's capable of that. And at the same time. ;)

Sure, but the giver is also the taker.

1Cor 11:28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sure, but the giver is also the taker.

1Cor 11:28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup.
That doesn't really settle the question posed by the title of this thread, however.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I understand. I'm just suggesting what's more important that's all.
It sounded like you were saying there isn't any difference.

If your heart is right with God, whether you are officiating at the Eucharist (whatever might be one's preference for the name of the sacrament/ordinance), ...or simply receiving the host and chalice...it doesn't matter since the qualifications are nothing more than what's in your heart.

That's what thought I was reading.

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Catholics have a Pope while Quakers, for instance, have no clergy at all and no sacraments to administer or distribute to anybody!

Exactly. Those that believe the Holy Eucharist is the Body and Blood of Christ (The Real Presence) can not ever have a lay person preside. Since the evil state has closed the Churches we mus do without until they open or a Priest can bring us the Sacraments. I am quite fortunate because our Priest is bringing all of us the Holy Eucharist.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are we not grappling with a more fundamental issue here.

Who brings the blessing, God or man?

Even under the old covenant, who brings the blessing, the High Priest or God?

Even more so when our High Priest is in heaven - who brings the blessing?

Take some bread and wine - who brings the blessing?

Have we not made the process man centric?

Have we not installed a priesthood in place of the One who sat with us and ate.

Ask the least among you to decide.

Upvote 0