Can a Christians give blessings for a Jewish wedding?

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is this part of the reception or the wedding itself? As part of the reception, you could make it fairly simple that "May God bless your marriage." I can't imagine that you'd be asked to speak in the synagogue, but in that case, I would politely decline and ask to speak at the reception.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My brother in law is getting married to a Jewish lady and they asked me to say something for a Jewish wedding or write something for them to say. Something like a blessing of some sort. How do I participate in that being a Christian. Please advise.
Marriage is good ... ask God to bless it ...

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My brother in law is getting married to a Jewish lady and they asked me to say something for a Jewish wedding or write something for them to say. Something like a blessing of some sort. How do I participate in that being a Christian. Please advise.
I would suggest reading 1 cor 13 about the qualities of love.
End by saying this love is not the love between husband and wife but it is Gods love for us and that any life that is not spent in the service of God is a perversion of love.
So my prayer is that you will both seek to love God in your lives together.

Talk to your brother in law ask would he be happy with that and take it from there.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Are they writing their own wedding liturgy, or are they following the form used in your daughter-in-law's synagogue? If they're constructing their own ceremony, then one possibility might be a reading from the Old Testament, since that's a Scripture text that's shared by the two religions. There are passages from the Song of Songs, for example, that are wedding-appropriate.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟471,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Is this part of the reception or the wedding itself? As part of the reception, you could make it fairly simple that "May God bless your marriage." I can't imagine that you'd be asked to speak in the synagogue, but in that case, I would politely decline and ask to speak at the reception.

Indeed, we can completely appropriately, and I think we are obliged to, bless through private prayer and publicly, albeit in a manner that does not involve participation in another religion, the weddings of people who are our friends regardless of their faith. Thus speaking in a synagogue is probably not a great idea, but speaking at the reception is splendid.

In Iraq, the persecuted Yazidi religious minority (which is possibly a crypto-Gnostic emanationist type of heretical Christianity; their beliefs are highly obscure), which has a history of affinity for and with the Christians (they shielded Armenians during the genocide of 1915), have, according to some texts, a tendency to obtain the blessing of the priests of any Christian churches they walk by during their wedding procession.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟471,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't see how blessing anything including marriage without Jesus.
Some here seems to be leaving Jesus out of the picture

Any right believing Christian means “May you be blessed by God the Father, Son and Holy Ghost” even when we abbreviate it to God Bless You. The Jews requesting the blessing are inevitably aware of this, because they know that Christians believe in the Trinity and the Deity of Jesus Christ. So you are fine, as long as you don’t actually pray together with the Jews in the synagogue.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I'd like to point out that not all Christians agree that we should avoid participation in Jewish worship. Both Jesus and the early Christians worshiped in the Temple and synagogue. Recent scholarship has made clear that this continued for centuries, despite attempts by some leaders on both sides to stop it.

I can't speak for all mainline Protestants, but my experience in both PCUSA and UMC does not indicate any problem in participating in Jewish worship.

I would have more problems with, e.g., Hindus, because of both polytheism and idolatry.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟240,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I would talk to your brother first, and tell him how you feel. If it's at a reception, I would have no problem with it. I doubt you would speak at a synagogue.

Is she Orthodox, Reform, or Conservative?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would talk to your brother first, and tell him how you feel. If it's at a reception, I would have no problem with it. I doubt you would speak at a synagogue.

Is she Orthodox, Reform, or Conservative?
don't know. probably none of above

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'd like to point out that not all Christians agree that we should avoid participation in Jewish worship. Both Jesus and the early Christians worshiped in the Temple and synagogue. Recent scholarship has made clear that this continued for centuries, despite attempts by some leaders on both sides to stop it.

I can't speak for all mainline Protestants, but my experience in both PCUSA and UMC does not indicate any problem in participating in Jewish worship.

I would have more problems with, e.g., Hindus, because of both polytheism and idolatry.
I didn't go but it was for for other reasons like avoiding a family member and covid

Upvote 0