Is the Farmers Almanac Witchcraft? Can Christians Read It?

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟116,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone,I have another question,since I’m trying to be an orchard farmer and read growing season and predictions for weather and info.I like to read the farmers almanac for the next year,however I refuse to read anything about astrology and even with the latest copy tore everything about astrology out.If I only read the farmers almanac for agricultural purposes regardless of the astrology junk inside it,can a Christian read it?

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟120,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Make sure you differentiate between astronomy and astrology. I have not read the Farmers Almanac, but my guess is that most of what is in there deals with astronomy.

Astronomy is science

the science that deals with the material universe beyond the earth's atmosphere.

Nothing wrong with Astronomy …God uses it in the Word.

Astrology is a counterfeit

It is the study that assumes and attempts to interpret the influence of the heavenly bodies on human affairs.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The Farmer's Almanac has nothing to do with astrology.

Looking to various seasonal patterns to get an idea of what to expect in the year ahead is helpful for those who rely on that kind of information for their livlihood. And it's not divination or magic, it's just science.

When I see dark clouds rolling in, I have a pretty good feeling that it's probably going to rain. That isn't divination, that's just recognizing a common pattern in the natural world.

Astrology is very different. Astrology looks to the stars to try and read the fates and destiny of men, and that's pure bunk. The particular arrangement of what the night sky looks like when we were born has absolutely no influence on the course of our lives, there is no such thing as fate. I'm not going to have a good day or a bad day because the moon is located near some arbitrary collection of stars from my earth-bound perspective here on earth.

That's why astrology is wrong, because it's just nonsense.

It's what the Church has historically called δεισιδαιμονία (deisdaimonia), which in the neutral sense just means "religion" or "reverence for the spiritual", but came to be used in a Christian context to specifically refer to false spirituality, and hence its translation into Latin as superstitio, from which we get "superstition". An "excessive dread" of spiritual or religious things, such as belief in witches, astrology, divination; or in modern times, believing crystals have power, or being terrified that the devil might be hiding in works of popular fiction, or--and this is relevant here--a fear of angering God because you're reading the Farmer's Almanac.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0