Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone,I’d like to ask a question?,I have little anxiety today,I may ask another question later;thankfully!,but this question is a curiosity question,I love to listen to Led Zeppelin,and as many people know,those old classic rock bands used to drink and do drugs,also I know a disturbing fact about the bands guitarist,Jimmy page-who once messed with the occult,which I don’t dare try to mess with,but my question is can I as a Christian listen to Led Zeppelin?

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hi everyone,I’d like to ask a question?,I have little anxiety today,I may ask another question later;thankfully!,but this question is a curiosity question,I love to listen to Led Zeppelin,and as many people know,those old classic rock bands used to drink and do drugs,also I know a disturbing fact about the bands guitarist,Jimmy page-who once messed with the occult,which I don’t dare try to mess with,but my question is can I as a Christian listen to Led Zeppelin?
Each must decide for themselves.
You mentioned a couple troubling aspects. On the other side you have John Paul Jones (real name John Baldwin) who, post-Zeppelin, was the organist in his home parish (for a while, I don't know if he still does it).
Then within the Zeppelin catalog you have at least two songs which are taken from 1920s Gospel, blues artist Blind Willie Johnson.
"I gotta' Bible in my home, if I don't read it my soul be lost Nobody's Fault but Mine.."

and In my Dying Day where Plant sings

Meet me, Jesus, meet me
Oh meet me in the middle of the air
If my wings should fail me, Lord
Oh please meet me with another pair..

and later

I see them in the streets
And I see them in the field
And I hear them shouting under my feet
And I know it's got to be real
Oh, Lord, deliver me
All the wrong I've done
You can deliver me, Lord
I only wanted to have some fun

Hear the angels marchin'
Hear the' marchin', hear them marchin'
Hear them marchin', the' marchin'

(Oh my Jesus)
It's got to be my Jesus
Oh, it's got to be, it's got to be my Jesus
it's got to be my oh
it's got to be my Jesus
Oh take me home..

SO again, my opinion is some can deal with it, others may not be able to.
I'd rather listen to Led Zeppelin than most so-called Christian artists, ymmv

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can their lyrics do that,cause if they can ill immediately get rid everything I have of them
All art has a social agenda.

Pray & view their lyrics (on-line).
Apply your Bible to that process.
Barry McGuire: Brainwashed

• Agree
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

It's an issue of liberty with no general rule for all. You'll have to decide for yourself based on the circumstances of your life such as how much time you spend on it, how it affects you, and so on. Depending on that the answer is yes or no.

• Agree
Reactions: EpicScore
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Getting caught up in the serving of the so call church can also take one away from God.

Any worldly obsessed can take a person away from God, keep ones self unspotted from the world.

I would say modern science, in the area of the creation (globe earth, evolution, climate change, etc..) is as evil as any music lyric or hollywood movie out there.

Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, andto keep oneself unspotted from the world.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Music is like food, it's a personal choice.

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
All art has a social agenda.

Pray & view their lyrics (on-line).
Apply your Bible to that process.
Barry McGuire: Brainwashed
What is your opinion,I’d really like to know

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey, a number of their songs are based on Middle-Earth, "Misty Mountain Hop", "Battle of Evermore", and "Ramble On" Cant be too bad in my book! :p

“’T was in the darkest depths of Mordor
I met a girl so fair
But Gollum, and the evil one
Crept up and slipped away with her.”

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Go ahead and listen to Led Zeppelin all you want.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

EpicScore

Sep 16, 2017
✟41,079.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single

"Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything. (1 Corinthians 6:12)

"But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because it is not of faith; and whatever is not of faith is sin." (Romans 14:23)

As @Abaxvahl says, when it comes to things that are not explicitly forbidden in the Bible, it really boils down to your freedom of conscience to choose what to consume and what to abstain from. Some people are more susceptible to be influenced by music/entertainment than others, and for such individuals it might be best to avoid media and other outlets that promotes beliefs, agendas, actions and/or lifestyles that go against the Biblical standards.

I suppose you can ask yourself if you can keep your heart and mind faithful to God's teachings while listening to Led Zeppelin's music, in light of what you know about its members' lifestyle and beliefs. There's no one-size-fits-all answer for this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is your opinion,I’d really like to know
I have a number of secular songs in my playlist (but no LZ).
Only one song has iffy lyrics.

I compare music to food.
  1. Healthful = edifying. This music is infused with the Kingdom of God in some fashion. It builds up your spirit. (It can occur in any genre.)
  2. Toxic. It preaches a clear opposition to "Love the Lord, your God, with all your mind, strength, heart & soul; and love your neighbor as yourself."
  3. Trivial. It is neither healthful nor toxic. The problem with this kind of music is that (if it is your sole source) it will displace your intake of #1 and lead to a type of malnutrition.
An analogy of #3 would be candy. A little won't hurt you, but if you eat too much, it will spoil your appetite for real food.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Sure only on LP though :D, seriously it is all up to you it is freedom and if you feel bad then don't listen.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟379,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Does Led Zeppelin's music glorify God? No. 1 Corinthians 10:31
Will we be listening to Led Zeppelin's music in heaven? No. Psalms 149:1, Isaiah 42:10
Does listening to secular music affect our walk? Yes. Matthew 6:24

Can Christian listen to Led Zeppelin? The answer is a resounding no. Let go of secular music. It will only pull you away from your Christian walk. We are not to love the world.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a number of secular songs in my playlist (but no LZ).
This is the closest song that I have to LZ,... ;)
ApologetiX: Narrow Way to Heaven

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Everyone should listen to Led Zep. Where would modern music (and Wayne's World) be without Stairway?

If you choose your music according to the predilections of the musicians, you might as well give up on music altogether.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0