• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Can a Christian have suicidal thoughts?

baptistgirl21

Nov 16, 2013
✟25,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Trigger Warning: Mention of suicide and mental illness
One of my favorite street preachers said that you cannot be a Christian and suicidal because Jesus wasn't suicidal. He says suicide is of the devil and if you are thinking about suicide, your heart is hardened and you are not a Christian. But what about mental illnesses? I have severe BPD and Depression, which causes me to be suicidal on a daily basis. I've even attempted suicide many times and I'm a Christian. I just couldn't take it anymore. I still think about it every day. My anxiety is starting to act up right now because I really looked up to this preacher. He is really good and is not judgmental at all. He speaks with kindness and love. But after watching the latest video, I'm not even sure if I am a Christian now. Can a true Christian have suicidal thoughts? I thought the devil puts thoughts in the mind of every Christian, because that's how he tempts us to do things? Even Jesus was tempted with suicide, but he didn't do it. How is that any different? I'm just really worried that I'm not Christian. I'm trying to hold on to the bible as much as I can, but after hearing the preacher explain the bible, and how you cannot be a Christian and want to commit suicide, I'm doubting everything, which makes me even more suicidal. I'm now afraid to ask for prayer on FB or in church. .I'm afraid to get annointed for suicidal thoughts now because I'm afraid everyone will think I'm a hypocrite. I say I love God, then want to kill myself. I'm just so done with the anxiety, the depression, everything. I have to stay strong because my mom is in critical condition right now at the hospital. I have to live, but I don't want to. I guess my future really is in the ground. After listening to this man preach, all hope is gone. I was just starting to get back on track with God and reading the bible. Now, I'm hopeless. :(
I need help :(

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
It would appear that one of your favorite street preachers is a little off base here. Thinking suicidal thoughts is a serious matter, but it is not the same thing as actually committing suicide. The key is to realize that life is a gift from God and that we should cherish it every day. Trust in God and do not worry too much about what others may say. Peace be with you!

Upvote 0

SpiritSong

The LORD is my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
Southeastern United States
✟148,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I have Bipolar. I have had these thoughts in the past, in fact there are many of the medications that we take that can actually cause these thoughts. It says so in the info sheets that come with the bottles.

I have been through a lot of treatments, both with the meds and with therapists. I have these thoughts much less often now, sometimes days go by before I realize I have not been thinking that way for awhile.

I try to keep myself busy. I got a small volunteer job, I read, crochet, play around on my computer, have a lot of friends and so forth, to keep my mind off my troubles. That has been my solution, anyway. I hope this helps you!

I attend church weekly and I do Bible studies every day. I pray for myself and others. I try to help others in my community. I am a Christian.

Upvote 0

Fear2Believe

Aug 24, 2019
Brisbane
✟154,284.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
One of my favorite street preachers said that you cannot be a Christian and suicidal because Jesus wasn't suicidal. He says suicide is of the devil and if you are thinking about suicide, your heart is hardened and you are not a Christian. But what about mental illnesses? I have severe BPD and Depression, which causes me to be suicidal on a daily basis. I've even attempted suicide many times and I'm a Christian. I just couldn't take it anymore. I still think about it every day. My anxiety is starting to act up right now because I really looked up to this preacher. He is really good and is not judgmental at all. He speaks with kindness and love. But after watching the latest video, I'm not even sure if I am a Christian now. Can a true Christian have suicidal thoughts? I thought the devil puts thoughts in the mind of every Christian, because that's how he tempts us to do things? Even Jesus was tempted with suicide, but he didn't do it. How is that any different? I'm just really worried that I'm not Christian. I'm trying to hold on to the bible as much as I can, but after hearing the preacher explain the bible, and how you cannot be a Christian and want to commit suicide, I'm doubting everything, which makes me even more suicidal. I'm now afraid to ask for prayer on FB or in church. .I'm afraid to get annointed for suicidal thoughts now because I'm afraid everyone will think I'm a hypocrite. I say I love God, then want to kill myself. I'm just so done with the anxiety, the depression, everything. I have to stay strong because my mom is in critical condition right now at the hospital. I have to live, but I don't want to. I guess my future really is in the ground. After listening to this man preach, all hope is gone. I was just starting to get back on track with God and reading the bible. Now, I'm hopeless. :(

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of my favorite street preachers said that you cannot be a Christian and suicidal because Jesus wasn't suicidal.
As a Christian we are to die to self so we can live for God. Jesus went to calvery to die for us so that we could inherit eternal life. We are told: "For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. " Matthew 16:25. Paul talks about how he dies daily to self and his old way of living so he can be born again and live for God.

I do not know of any loving, caring, giving people that are depressed. Usually depression is due to people being selfish and only thinking about themselves and their own pleasure. Although there could be anger issues or maybe someone feels unwanted or unlove. They may not realize the love that God has for them. Still the cure it to devote our-self to helping others and to sacrifice ourself. The way that Jesus sacrificed Himself for us. He lived His live as an example for us to follow.

The hormones that make people depressed are the same that make them happy. Dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin and endorphins are the quartet responsible for our happiness. Oxytocin is a cuddle hormone. So this can make people happy when they cuddle. Or unhappy if they have no one. This is also the hormone mothers produce when they bond with their child. These are fairly primitive and common with most mammals.

It is a paradox that our happiness and feeling of contentment and well being are dependent on the sacrifice of our-self for others. We are the ones that benefit the most for our service to others. Jesus came to serve and not to be served. Some of the most miserable people are the ones that exploit and take advantage of others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
there are many of the medications that we take that can actually cause these thoughts.
Medicine can be dangerous and they can block the natural ability of the body to heal itself. They plug into receptors for the natural hormones in our Body. For example Oxycontin uses the Oxytocin receptors in the body. Once a person gets started it can be difficult to get off of the drugs. Rather then to endure a day or two of discomfort while they wait for the bodies natural pain relief to be produced. They resort to drugs that end up giving them a life time of misery. Issues often run their course and clear up in a week or two. If we do not block or interfere with the bodies natural ability to be able to heal itself.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One of my favorite street preachers said that you cannot be a Christian and suicidal because Jesus wasn't suicidal. He says suicide is of the devil and if you are thinking about suicide, your heart is hardened and you are not a Christian. . :(

I am sorry that you feel that you are hopeless.

You have shown one of the main reasons I don't like just watching recordings of preachers.
This guy does not know you or your problems and takes no responcibility for the affect of his words.

rant over.

You are ill. You have a condition that causes you to think, say or do things you do not want to.
This is not something you want and it is not a reflection of your desire or intent.

To use a silly example In hay fever season it is like saying sneezes are caused by the devil !
Which is really silly.

Others have given good advice about how they cope with similar problems, see what helps you.

Do talk to Christians who's advice you trust and to councelors/doctors re treating your illness.

When life is tough keep to the basics.
That Jesus is your saviour and trust in him no matter what.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Joshua 1 9.
As a Christian we are to die to self so we can live for God. Jesus went to calvery to die for us so that we could inherit eternal life. We are told: "For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. " Matthew 16:25. Paul talks about how he dies daily to self and his old way of living so he can be born again and live for God.

I do not know of any loving, caring, giving people that are depressed. Usually depression is due to people being selfish and only thinking about themselves and their own pleasure. Although there could be anger issues or maybe someone feels unwanted or unlove. They may not realize the love that God has for them. Still the cure it to devote our-self to helping others and to sacrifice ourself. The way that Jesus sacrificed Himself for us. He lived His live as an example for us to follow.

The hormones that make people depressed are the same that make them happy. Dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin and endorphins are the quartet responsible for our happiness. Oxytocin is a cuddle hormone. So this can make people happy when they cuddle. Or unhappy if they have no one. This is also the hormone mothers produce when they bond with their child. These are fairly primitive and common with most mammals.

It is a paradox that our happiness and feeling of contentment and well being are dependent on the sacrifice of our-self for others. We are the ones that benefit the most for our service to others. Jesus came to serve and not to be served. Some of the most miserable people are the ones that exploit and take advantage of others.

Joshua 1 9,
By your comment that you don't know of any loving, giving, caring person getting depressed, you have made the insinuation that it is the person depressed who is at fault. Please keep these sort of comments to yourself, that is a very cruel comment.
One that can send someone who IS suicidal over the edge and not believing they can be a Christian.

Have you not read the Psalms?

Depression is an illness like any other illness that people suffer because of the fall.
,myself have suffered well over 40 years and also had similar comments made to me.

It can be managed, with the help of doctors, medication and of course God.
I still have low times but I know I will not do anything because my life is in Gods hands.
In these low times I am kept close to God because I know He loves me and will never leave or forsake me.
Plus, when my time on earth is done- which is for God alone to decide, then a wonderful place awaits:heaven!! ______________________________________
:heart::heart::heart:
Baptistgirl, please seek help and don't give up. My answer to you is yes, a Christian can be suicidal but because you have God, you will be able to bear it and also at these times just cling tight to God: He can carry us through, ride out the lows and realise you won't always feel like that. That is the truth.

I will pray for you also, God bless you dear one.:prayer:

• Winner
Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Suicidal thoughts can also be a spiritual attack. Again and again we tip toe around this possibility as if it were taboo. Yet Jesus released folks of may conditions by dealing directly with the spiritual source.

To suggest that Christians are somehow immune to such thoughts is shear nonsense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes Carl, I do think suicidal thoughts are from Satan himself whose sole purpose is to kill and destroy. However a Christian can overcome this as they are now in Christ with the Holy Spirit indwelling.
There is no need to be afraid as we are more than conquerors through Christ.
My concern is that some Christians believe depression and other mental disorders are all satanic and that Christians cannot suffer from them.
I had it said to me in the past and it did prevent me seeking help.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fully agree... but there is also a reluctance to call a spade a spade when it is in fact a spade!!!

A good friend of mine visited a mutual friend in hospital who had just attempted suicide. On visiting him he asked him to repent of trying to take his life - this was received, and acted on, and resulted in a rapid recovery.

Taking such thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ is a potent weapon as is renounciation.

• Friendly
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As some one who also suffers from depression/bipolar i know that suicidal feelings and thoughts come when we are down deep. Truye it is satan trying to get us to murder ourselves but it does not mean that you are not a Christian, that is sheer nonsense. This preacher is way of the mark. Mental illness is an illness that makes us more prone to satanic attack because our low moods hear depressive lies all the time. A when an ill mind is overcome by suicidal thoughts and feelings then this is a major affliction caused by an illness, not a sign that we don't belong to God.

So please don't worry about your identity as a Christian, suicide though its thoughts and feelings comes from the enemy, is a massive temptation, and everyone is prone to fall for them when deeply depressed. However we can overcome suicide with the loving truth of God. When we place our identity as a child of God loved and cared for by Him then we are safe from suicidal attacks.

Do let Jesus' truth rescue you from your pit though next time you flounder down there.

Please keep your focus on Jesus not on yourself.

Miseries Ugly Truth

My truth is sore and ugly,
my truth is I hate my life.
The Truth is, truth is unwanted!
my truth is rotten to the core,
my truth stinks like sewage.

My truth is hard and mean,
My truth is without any good.
The Truth is, my truth burns!
My truth is a walk in darkness,
my truth kills my good life.

My truth lies to me continually
my truth isn't holy or blameless
The Truth is, my truth is the pits!
my truth is utterly godforsaken
my truth is irredeemable.

My truth is utterly rejected,
my truth hands out no mercy.
The Truth is, my truth is loveless!
My truth hotly desires good life,
my truth hurts like Hell.

My truth is not welcome,
my truth is not loved.
The Truth is, My God, my God,
why have I forsaken You?
Is that why I'm down here?

Upvote 0

SpiritSong

The LORD is my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
Southeastern United States
✟148,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Medicine can be dangerous and they can block the natural ability of the body to heal itself. They plug into receptors for the natural hormones in our Body. For example Oxycontin uses the Oxytocin receptors in the body. Once a person gets started it can be difficult to get off of the drugs. Rather then to endure a day or two of discomfort while they wait for the bodies natural pain relief to be produced. They resort to drugs that end up giving them a life time of misery. Issues often run their course and clear up in a week or two. If we do not block or interfere with the bodies natural ability to be able to heal itself.

I was talking about antidepressants and other similar drugs that help the mind to better function in most cases. I have been helped a lot by medications, so I disagree with your opinions about them.

• Agree
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Hi @baptistgirl21 - Sorry to hear you are struggling so much right now. I've been there myself. I don't have BP; but have had major depression, I do have PTSD and have been hospitalized for suicide attempts. That was a little over 20 years ago now.

I became a believer at 17 and 10 years later found myself on a bridge. I'm an adult child of an alcoholic, an incest survivor and a war veteran. I was having an acute mental health crisis; complete with nightmares, hyper-vigilance, panic attacks and flashbacks. I went from 2 weeks inpatient, to 4 weeks outpatient to a 3 month day treatment program; post suicide plan.

One thing I will tell you is if you are not sleeping; not sleeping can make you really loopy and not thinking strait! (Something to be aware of; because if you're exhausted - you're probably not as "crazy" as you perceive yourself to be.)

Medication has been brought up too. Sometimes it helps some people; others it can life threatening (can make suicidal thoughts worse). Magnesium and Zinc supplements are often effective alternatives for anti-depressive drugs. My 17 Y.O. autistic and epileptic son takes magnesium and zinc supplements and they are affective for him. (Information that may be useful, especially if pharmaceutical drugs are not a good option for you.)

Diet is another issue. If we aren't eating well, we are likely going to feel worse than "just depression".

So, all this being said: Yes! Someone who is a genuine believer can have suicidal thoughts and can also act on them. Obviously God would not want us to destroy ourselves; yet we can loose sight of our ability to think logically and that not necessarily be a direct spiritual problem. Many suicide attempts are born out of a hopeless feeling that "No matter what I do; life is not going to get better"; and that's a valid fear for people dealing with chronic mental health issues.

It can be a long road to get to a point of stability. I'm 48 years old. I've been in counseling since I was 13 and I'm still in counseling. I have been fairly emotionally stable now for about 15 years. Life is not easy and I don't anticipate that it ever will be.

If you are afraid of God forsaking you; that is actually a useful fear because it means that you are not taking the grace of God for granted. I learned a long time ago that we will never eliminate fear from our lives. (I still "duck and cover' at loud noises and Desert Storm was 28 years ago.)

A few Bible verse that were helpful were: "A bruised reed He will not break and a smoking flax He will not extinguish." "He who started a good work, is faithful to complete it." "I will restore unto you the years the locusts have eaten." (I got a lot of years with a lot of locusts.) "I know my thoughts toward you; thoughts of good and not evil, to give you an expected end."

Those are a couple of my "faves".

Advise?

I do a fair amount of waking, bicycling, working in the yard. (I have quite an extensive garden.) Physical activity helps calm and clear the mind. I used to jog and ski and in-line skating, rock climb etc; but I was in a catastrophic car accident in 2010 and am now permanently mobility impaired. So now I do wheelchair sports.

I write, research various subjects, do Bible studies and post stuff on the Internet to keep my mind busy.

Writing in a journal has been helpful to me.

Listening to music is also helpful. My son's epilepsy medication is causing liver issues and he's facing major health issues right now. His favorite band is Skillet. So we play these songs frequently. They've become his "fight songs".

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The most loving, caring and gentle people I know, have been depressed themselves. Some of them are depressed right now, and some have suicidal thoughts as a natural response when our mind seeks relief. I do not believe, for one second, that it has to be the opposite - that a real loving heart could have never been so down spiritually and with their mental health. Everything I've seen suggests it's almost the other way around; those who have no idea what it's like, what it is to really suffer deep down in your soul, to feel the weight of desperation, they can be quick to judge, quick to pile more dogma and condemnation on the sufferers, and quick to think of themselves as better and wiser people when they stare at their blessings and they might even think they deserved their blessings with their righteousness, and that the suffering ones are suffering because they deserve to. They can do this with the full blessing of their conscience, thinking they're doing something good.

But the ones who have been there, actually suffering from the invisible, they know from first-hand experience what it is. They grasp the comfort of Christ, who also suffered, like nobody else, because they can't help that weight of depression by themselves. And they don't want that suffering for anyone else. If they see someone who's suffering like they have suffered, they want to be the first to comfort those people. This is truthful love in action, building from the ground up, weeping with the ones who weep. There is nothing demeaning or destructive or non-Christlike about this. These are the people whose hearts can actually be changed first, instead of their behavior changing first and their heart left cold.

@baptistgirl21 , you are a Christian. Nobody can tell you otherwise. Well they might tell you, and seems like they already have, but luckily they are not, and can never be the judge of that. Let the people talk, we are all idiots in the long run. Our religion has always been, and will always be full of hypocrites and those who are ignorant of what they speak of (me included, I have a tendency to all of these). If you want Christ, you have Him - or better yet, He has you. It's always about His love, His strength, His righteousness more than ours. We are not here to impress Him, to earn something. We are not competing against Him. We are here to hang on to Him, to learn to trust Him as our refuge in all things and all sufferings, and to love each other with a truthful heart. There I found Him, in my suffering, as I was thinking I have to kill myself because I just couldn't take the pain anymore. I prayed instead when I thought the end has come, and for the first time in many years I trusted - even with a weak, stumbling, pitiful trust - something else than my own fears and desperation. Despair and fear are most often just lies we believe (not including chemical and physiological stuff which is already a beast of its own). Depression is an illness, it's a struggle, and we seem to listen to the worst thoughts in our hearts while it presses us down. It's a hard road for any depressed person, and there are lessons we're going to learn. It was a long road for me too, but I'm better now. I'm not better because I'm a "better Christian", I'm better because I forced myself to believe that Jesus Christ loves even me, this pitiful suffering creature, and that love is real and deeply in His nature, and I cannot change His nature, even if my fears tell me otherwise. I also have to thank many treatments, counseling, and people who supported me, but I thank God the most. And if I see someone who is not better, my heart goes out to them because I know how hard it was for me.

We will be praying for you, no need to fear about asking a prayer here. You are a Christian, you are loved, you are a precious child to your heavenly Father, and your life is safely hid with Christ. No fear sister. God bless you and Christ carry you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very much appreciate the post above.

About 40 years ago I was committed with serious mental confusion (we didnt have the fancy modern labels for conditions back then).

I was on medication and given ECT.

Folks prayed and I was released early and that led to a seven year journey back to 'normality'

In my case the root causes were very much spiritual and I learned over time to deal with these with the authority Christ gives us.

This was on the back end of a marriage breakup my wife took up residence with my best friend.

Whenever I attended church I would simply weep right through the service - very few would talk to me.

I was also suffering under the effects of taking drugs.

I learned to immerse myself in prayer, this accelerated my healing considerably.

I learned who I was in Jesus and the power of renounciation. I learned that we need not tolerate the lies of Satan but actively resist and disown such attacks.

I am sure other factors played a part including diet.

I see that what I went through was an assault on my personal identity and I learned to agree with what Jesus says about me and base my whole reality on God's living Word.

My life was completely restored and I have been wonderfully blessed with a strong marriage, 5 children and 5 grandchildren so far.

Having come through this I have a high level of faith and confidence to pray for others.

He has also partnered with me to see many folks healed, it is a dream come true.

I am sharing this because I want to say, there is a way through, more than that - it will result in more than you could ask or think.

And God does not waste suffering - all things work together for the good for those who Love Him and are called according to His purpose.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The most loving, caring and gentle people I know, have been depressed themselves. Some of them are depressed right now, and some have suicidal thoughts as a natural response when our mind seeks relief. I do not believe, for one second, that it has to be the opposite - that a real loving heart could have never been so down spiritually and with their mental health. Everything I've seen suggests it's almost the other way around; those who have no idea what it's like, what it is to really suffer deep down in your soul, to feel the weight of desperation, they can be quick to judge, quick to pile more dogma and condemnation on the sufferers, and quick to think of themselves as better and wiser people when they stare at their blessings and they might even think they deserved their blessings with their righteousness, and that the suffering ones are suffering because they deserve to. They can do this with the full blessing of their conscience, thinking they're doing something good.

But the ones who have been there, actually suffering from the invisible, they know from first-hand experience what it is. They grasp the comfort of Christ, who also suffered, like nobody else, because they can't help that weight of depression by themselves. And they don't want that suffering for anyone else. If they see someone who's suffering like they have suffered, they want to be the first to comfort those people. This is truthful love in action, building from the ground up, weeping with the ones who weep. There is nothing demeaning or destructive or non-Christlike about this. These are the people whose hearts can actually be changed first, instead of their behavior changing first and their heart left cold.

@baptistgirl21 , you are a Christian. Nobody can tell you otherwise. Well they might tell you, and seems like they already have, but luckily they are not, and can never be the judge of that. Let the people talk, we are all idiots in the long run. Our religion has always been, and will always be full of hypocrites and those who are ignorant of what they speak of (me included, I have a tendency to all of these). If you want Christ, you have Him - or better yet, He has you. It's always about His love, His strength, His righteousness more than ours. We are not here to impress Him, to earn something. We are not competing against Him. We are here to hang on to Him, to learn to trust Him as our refuge in all things and all sufferings, and to love each other with a truthful heart. There I found Him, in my suffering, as I was thinking I have to kill myself because I just couldn't take the pain anymore. I prayed instead when I thought the end has come, and for the first time in many years I trusted - even with a weak, stumbling, pitiful trust - something else than my own fears and desperation. Despair and fear are most often just lies we believe (not including chemical and physiological stuff which is already a beast of its own). Depression is an illness, it's a struggle, and we seem to listen to the worst thoughts in our hearts while it presses us down. It's a hard road for any depressed person, and there are lessons we're going to learn. It was a long road for me too, but I'm better now. I'm not better because I'm a "better Christian", I'm better because I forced myself to believe that Jesus Christ loves even me, this pitiful suffering creature, and that love is real and deeply in His nature, and I cannot change His nature, even if my fears tell me otherwise. I also have to thank many treatments, counseling, and people who supported me, but I thank God the most. And if I see someone who is not better, my heart goes out to them because I know how hard it was for me.

We will be praying for you, no need to fear about asking a prayer here. You are a Christian, you are loved, you are a precious child to your heavenly Father, and your life is safely hid with Christ. No fear sister. God bless you and Christ carry you.

Tempura, thank you for this post, I agree entirely and you have put it forth beautifully.
God bless you:heart:

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of my favorite street preachers said that you cannot be a Christian and suicidal because Jesus wasn't suicidal. He says suicide is of the devil and if you are thinking about suicide, your heart is hardened and you are not a Christian.
Find a new preacher. Christians can and do think about suicide.
They also can think about and do all kinds of sinful activities.

I personally have known born again Christians who have committed fornication, adultery, even murder.

Those thoughts are temptations; and the NT is full of verses dealing with temptations. So yes, Christians can be tempted. Even tempted to commit suicide.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's not ideal that we be suicidal but some people just can't relate to the feelings of suicide that some of us have. Each of our experiences might outwardly appear the same such as "a suicidal Christian". But in reality we could feel what we feel for a variety of reasons.

So this preacher guy might have had an experience where he was suicidal and then later recovered from them. So now in his experience he sees how much better off he is and he feels himself to be a better Christian now and so it's easy for him to Proclaim that walking with Christ is to be free from thoughts of suicide. If that is the case he might then be forgetting how dark it was to feel suicidal and he can't empathize enough with those still suffering.

Or maybe that guy is one of those really happy Christians who can't possibly believe that Christians can feel negative feelings even though Christ was so stressed out at one point that he started to sweat blood. Maybe that preacher is very ignorant and has hardly had any trials in his life and so he simply cannot speak about things he has not experienced.

Upvote 0