Jacksonville
✟9,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It seems that being a Christian is all about living a hard life. I know we are supposed to always have an answer for the hope that is within us but that hope is for the afterlife.

I can’t say my life has changed for better or worse per se since accepting Christ many years ago accept that I have less friends and notice more friction with people because of my stance on issues. It’s not like I want the worst outcome in every situation it’s just that I know what to expect and sometimes that’s failure. I see no reason to be overly optimistic in every circumstance.

The New Testament seems in contrast with the Old Testament in that God promises that the Israelites that if they keep his laws statutes and commandments that they would live prosperous peaceful lives. This is the case with many of Israel’s Kings. When they followed God, they had prosperity. When they discovered, the temple was destroyed and they were taken captive. Yet Jesus said that we will suffer in this life even if we follow him. In fact, there’s a whole book on the subject, Fox’s book of Christian Martyrs.

Paul had great wisdom and knew all mysteries and lived by any objective standard a very difficult life. In fact, most Christians and Jews were persecuted after the turn of the millennium and have been ever since.

Jeremiah spent his life talking about the terrible fate that awaited the Hebrews if they didn’t repent. By all accounts, he was a pessimist! And he was right, because they threw him down a well and eventually the city was destroyed.

I’m happy that I’m going to heaven some day, but I make no contest about the fact that life for most Christians around the world even today is awful especially in developing countries where they face persecution. I’m convinced that the closer we get to Christ’s return, the worse things on earth are going to get.

So is it really wrong for Christians to be pessimistic or at the very least a realist about this life?

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Its not just about afterlife.

You can walk with God, through the Holy spirit in you, right now. You can find joy in having a clean, spiritual life.

It requires to change a perspective, though. Not to be concentrated on wordly things and temporal material success.

Some people are naturally more pessimistic, thats OK, if you are not depressed by it.

Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
It seems that being a Christian is all about living a hard life. I know we are supposed to always have an answer for the hope that is within us but that hope is for the afterlife.

I can’t say my life has changed for better or worse per se since accepting Christ many years ago accept that I have less friends and notice more friction with people because of my stance on issues. It’s not like I want the worst outcome in every situation it’s just that I know what to expect and sometimes that’s failure. I see no reason to be overly optimistic in every circumstance.

The New Testament seems in contrast with the Old Testament in that God promises that the Israelites that if they keep his laws statutes and commandments that they would live prosperous peaceful lives. This is the case with many of Israel’s Kings. When they followed God, they had prosperity. When they discovered, the temple was destroyed and they were taken captive. Yet Jesus said that we will suffer in this life even if we follow him. In fact, there’s a whole book on the subject, Fox’s book of Christian Martyrs.

Paul had great wisdom and knew all mysteries and lived by any objective standard a very difficult life. In fact, most Christians and Jews were persecuted after the turn of the millennium and have been ever since.

Jeremiah spent his life talking about the terrible fate that awaited the Hebrews if they didn’t repent. By all accounts, he was a pessimist! And he was right, because they threw him down a well and eventually the city was destroyed.

I’m happy that I’m going to heaven some day, but I make no contest about the fact that life for most Christians around the world even today is awful especially in developing countries where they face persecution. I’m convinced that the closer we get to Christ’s return, the worse things on earth are going to get.

So is it really wrong for Christians to be pessimistic or at the very least a realist about this life?
Do you ever just have fun?

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Sounds pretty realistic to me. As long as you don't become a cynic.
TD:)

Upvote 0