Can a career in art glorify God?

Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
reputation_goldstar.gif
How can we use art for God? Is there a group we can contact or a website?
CIVA -- Christians in the Visual Arts is an organization that offers workshops, conferences, web space, exhibit opportunities, and networking.

I'm curious -- the OP must be almost done with school, if still in the program.

Upvote 0

gerbilwoman

Gerbil Queen
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2014
USA
✟436,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you should follow your dreams. By doing so you will be a happier person and more able to glorify God. You can paint or draw religious things, or ribbons or other art that promote awareness for certain medical conditions or causes. You can embrace diversity in your art, encouraging acceptance for all. And you are not limited to glorifying God within your career, you can do volunteer work, maybe do art with the elderly or disabled.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
A fine artist is a communicator, so it's not just about decorating space. Visual communications can often hit people more powerfully than verbal and written.
Since the message is often indirect, masked, or symbolized -- the viewer is allowed to reflect on a topic without feeling as confronted as with other modes of delivery.

Reactions: chandraclaws
Upvote 0
B

BlueLioness

This year I've been accepted into a prestigious art school, which I'm over the moon about... but at the same time, I struggle to see how art (painting and drawing) can really glorify and serve God.
I see all my Christian friends becoming doctors, nurses, teachers... practical careers in which they can serve people and serve God. In comparison, art seems almost self-serving.
I love art so much and it's what I want to do... but how can I use it to glorify God? Would God give me a talent and a passion for something if it's not His will for me?

I have a passion for the Arts and Entertainment industries as well. Also for crafts, I do a lot of crafts.

Let's talk godliness.

I don't really see anything sinful as long as you are not promoting homosexuality, or the lesbian lifestyle, or inappropriate behavior, or any sexual lewdness, which is sin. Hatred is also a sin, make sure your works promote love. God is love, and He loves everyone without favoritism. He is also not partial in judgment, He always judges fairly. As long as you don't paint or draw pictures of naked people (remember that lewdness is a sin), then I guess you are OK. Or any pictures containing violence and bloodshed. Or any crude jokes. Also remember to never blaspheme the Holy Spirit in your works. (Satan blasphemes the Holy Ghost and we don't need to be committing the sins that he already has done and will do in the future)

I am sure there are other sins that one is capable of committing, but I can't name them off of the top of my head right now.

Hollywood is a part of the entertainment industry...it has sinned before, but then again, Hollywood is part of a secularized industry and it is not aligned with the church. (Unlike you and me; I am assuming that we are Christians and that we do attend church). Such an industry is to be expected to promote sin in its movies. It has sinned by prompting the gay and lesbian lifestyles (while the Bible promotes the idea of marriage as being strictly between a man and a woman), by depicting violence and crude jokes in its movies (again, the Bible condemns all such), and by promoting naked people having sex (which is lewdness and is a great sin). God wants us all to wear clothes, do not ever think that being a nudist is an OK thing. Being nude is a thing of the world and is an invention of fallible man, not of a perfect and holy God. It is not promoted in Scripture. It is what the unconverted man depicting the old sin nature still does.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I am sure there are other sins that one is capable of committing, but I can't name them off of the top of my head right now.
Arts careers have reputation for being flighty, but that comes from the fact that artists have real struggles in making a living. Most imagine they can overcome that -- but the invincible feeling drags them toward discouragement.

There are many jobs in the arts, and lucrative ones as well; but the odds are lower for stable income than other professions. It is less predictable.

These days, there are craftspeople making a living with an online business, but similarly many investing a lot of time and holding onto inventory.

Museum curators, retouchers, art agents, illustrators, web designers, jewelry makers, activity directors, youth workers, portrait artists... but some of these do not have guaranteed or adequate income. Well-paid animators work on short contracts, and then are left wondering where the next job will come from.

High-end painters may make thousands from the sale of one painting, but then spend thousands of hours on paintings that fill up the house unsold.

There are jobs that now expect designers to shoot and edit video, code web pages, use CAD, be fluent in a dozen software packages, know how to storyboard and select materials and market... for a couple dollars above minimum wage. (Or exempt from overtime.) Ad agencies pay higher, but expect more time and a fast pace.

Teaching is continually wobbly as district budgets squeeze arts teachers into half-time roles, multiple schools, or working from rolling trays. With no budget for art supplies for hundreds of students per week.

College teaching averages 50% or less faculty working on per-course contracts, with no benefits or job security. The full-time arts faculty make less than other disciplines, because they do not draw in research funding.

Some artists who have tried and struggled feel like this:

Hosea 8:7 For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind.

Ecclesiastes 4:6 Better is a handful, with quietness, than two handfuls with labor and chasing after wind
(But then he writes that all aspiration and labor is ultimately chasing after the wind.)

Going into the arts can be appealing, and be a pleasant way to make a living -- but it can also break a person's spirit over time.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am so jealous. For years I was obsessed with the arts (painting, acting, stage-crafts, crafts, anything artsy) and it seemed to be too good to be true if I would one day work in the arts. If this opportunity was given to me I'd take it hands-down!
It's good to pursue one's talents.

Often people in art are quite Bohemian in their appearance; would they be welcome at your local church?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's been months since I posted this question, but I wanted to say a belated thank you to everyone. Your answers were extremely helpful. I've been at art college for the past few months and I now know that God has given me a talent to be used for his glory. Even amongst the alternative lifestyle of art college, I'm more determined than ever to be set part in my art and my life. Again, thank you!
@NurseAbigail FYI.

Upvote 0

NurseAbigail

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2017
NC
✟48,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
This year I've been accepted into a prestigious art school, which I'm over the moon about... but at the same time, I struggle to see how art (painting and drawing) can really glorify and serve God.
I see all my Christian friends becoming doctors, nurses, teachers... practical careers in which they can serve people and serve God. In comparison, art seems almost self-serving.
I love art so much and it's what I want to do... but how can I use it to glorify God? Would God give me a talent and a passion for something if it's not His will for me?

totally, everywhere we turn we can see how art is used by the enemy, in television, in billboards, comics...etc...definitely, art is a something that God can use and is a vital part of His Kingdom

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
totally, everywhere we turn we can see how art is used by the enemy, in television, in billboards, comics...etc...definitely, art is a something that God can use and is a vital part of His Kingdom
I think it's good to remember art in its different forms as a means to the end of glorifying God, rather than it being an end in itself (there it can become too man-centred). Make sense?

Reactions: NurseAbigail
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hopesum

Oct 31, 2017
✟15,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Of course it can.
1. God would not give you a passion for something that is not his will. But that doesn't mean that all your passions are from him. Some interests and passions we have do not come from him.

2. I am a seasoned artist. As an artist you must embrace the fact that we live in a culture that no longer deems the Arts as necessary for a balanced fulfilled life. There was a time in History when the Humanities were considered just as important as literature. Being able to play an instrument, speak a second language, and painting were all seen as the same in value. That was quite a ways back in history.

Our common culture now sees a plumber or electrician necessary to keep a home, but not art. In History any home wanting to deem itself as important and cultured owned art. It was usual that if you wanted to be a person of importance, you knew and commissioned artists personally.

While I do not agree with vanity and appearances of that time, it is sad that a plumber's invoice is seen as acceptable, but not an artist's. They both need health insurance, to buy food, and pay the mortgage.

Do not compare yourself to your friends. Run the race God set out for you. And, as a believer you will find it's not your job to 'see how' you abundance or lack of something will be used by Him. If biblical history is any indicator... He'll use it! He likes having the final word. :) Your job is to follow and trust.

Remember, we are more like Christ when we Create, for his is the Creator.
Ask for peace on this issue, He will grant it if it's the way you should go.
If he does, then put one foot in front of the other Confident in Him, not our culture or a paycheck.
He won't allow you to drown where he sends you.

"I trust in, rely on, and am confident in You, O Lord; I say, You are my God. My times are in Your hands." —Psalm 31:14-15

Upvote 0

Soar Like and Eagle

Nov 25, 2017
Western NY
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am an artist my icon is one of my children's illustration as a sample. I have been a Christian for more then 55 years and love the Lord and love doing my art. Like God's Spirit with in so is my art comes from with in me. Most of my art is secular and I am find with that. God made me an artist and there is no other profession I want to do or care to do. I have worked out of the art field at times but I hate it.

Upvote 0