Cameras? In your bedroom? It’s more likely than you think.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Have you ever felt like you were being watched, but kept your mouth shut for fear of being committed to a psychiatric hospital?

Chinemerem Eze suspected that she was being spied upon and reported this to her school, Brooklyn College, in December of 2008. Instead of investigating, the school’s staff quickly diagnosed her with psychiatric problems and committed her to a hospital. Subsequently, she was not allowed to take her exams, lost her scholarships, and dropped out of school.

The Kafkaesque icing on the cake: It turns out that her suspicions were entirely correct.

A hidden camera was later found in her bedroom, planted either by her landlord or ex-roommates; after being wrongfully imprisoned, stripped of her scholarships, and forced to leave the school, Eze is now filing a lawsuit against the University. Brooklyn College has no comment on the case.

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you ever felt like you were being watched, but kept your mouth shut for fear of being committed to a psychiatric hospital?

Chinemerem Eze suspected that she was being spied upon and reported this to her school, Brooklyn College, in December of 2008. Instead of investigating, the school’s staff quickly diagnosed her with psychiatric problems and committed her to a hospital. Subsequently, she was not allowed to take her exams, lost her scholarships, and dropped out of school.

The Kafkaesque icing on the cake: It turns out that her suspicions were entirely correct.

A hidden camera was later found in her bedroom, planted either by her landlord or ex-roommates; after being wrongfully imprisoned, stripped of her scholarships, and forced to leave the school, Eze is now filing a lawsuit against the University. Brooklyn College has no comment on the case.

Okay- I'm confused, how can a college commit a person to a hospital? How was the school responsible for the camera? Was it college housing? (Is it bad that one my kids attended Brooklyn College and I can't remember if they have student housing or not?)

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟102,861.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm curious: Why didn't she just search her room for a hidden camera? The lens had to be visible, or the point would be lost.

It just strikes me that, if she believed it enough and was concerned enough to report it, then why not do some serious searching?

I'm not saying what happened after the report is justified, but it's the first thing I would have done.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honors student Chinemerem Eze suing Brooklyn College over pysch hospital stay
Chinemerem Eze spent two weeks at Kings County Psychiatric Hospital in December 2008 after Brooklyn College officials forced her into an ambulance, according to the suit filed in state supreme court last week.

"I couldn't believe it," Eze, who's from Lagos, Nigeria, told the Daily News on Thursday night.

"I'm a foreign student - I didn't know where to go. I just went to make a report to the security department. I wanted them to come investigate."

Eze went to the school's security office for help after hearing "comments about her body" coming from a vent in her off-campus basement apartment in Flatlands.

She then discovered a hidden camera inside the space.

She also suspected somebody had set up a defamatory website about her, the suit says.
When she approached school security guards, they were skeptical and notified college psychologist Sally Robles.

Robles then asked "a series of personal questions pertaining to her psychological state of mind," before calling an ambulance to take Eze to hospital, the suit says.

"I don't know why they thought that I was imagining it," Eze said.

Eze said she has settled with Kings County Hospital for a six-figure sum.
I don't see how she is at fault here.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
People can't actually tell when they're being watched (study), so why should the school have investigated the matter? Being right accidentally doesn't justify her paranoia.

Just because we can't tell if we are being watched when the only difference between the ones of us being watched and the ones not is the presence of a watcher doesn't mean we cannot pick up on hints from someone who is watching us without our permission that increases wariness. For example, her land lord might have let something slip that would have raised her awareness that someone might be watching even if it wasn't enough to convince her it was her landlord who was watching (I don't know if it was the landlord or not).

And even then, it is a common feeling that one is being watched, that alone is no reason to cost her her scholarships and place in college.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
I'm curious: Why didn't she just search her room for a hidden camera? The lens had to be visible, or the point would be lost.

It just strikes me that, if she believed it enough and was concerned enough to report it, then why not do some serious searching?

I'm not saying what happened after the report is justified, but it's the first thing I would have done.

Depending upon the camera, some are good enough you can look right at them and not see the lens, it is too small/hidden.

Upvote 0

Daedalus^2

Jan 19, 2011
Home
✟1,100.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Lens doesn't have to be visible, you can get fairly low cost fibre-optic cameras now that can use a length of fibre back into the camera body - only a very small bit of fibre needed, not a huge lens.

Completely unlikely for this story... but just sayin. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Just because we can't tell if we are being watched when the only difference between the ones of us being watched and the ones not is the presence of a watcher doesn't mean we cannot pick up on hints from someone who is watching us without our permission that increases wariness. For example, her land lord might have let something slip that would have raised her awareness that someone might be watching even if it wasn't enough to convince her it was her landlord who was watching (I don't know if it was the landlord or not).
This is true (and, apparently, just what happened according to the second article). If she told the security team everything that is in the second story, then I agree that they should have investigated.

And even then, it is a common feeling that one is being watched, that alone is no reason to cost her her scholarships and place in college.
I agree here too. I'm a bit skeptical, however, that she simply told them about hearing voices through the vent about her body, suggesting that their owners had been watching her within her apartment - and they committed her for that. If she ran in completely hysterical, babbling about "hearing voices" and thinking that "someone is watching her", I could very much see them being concerned for her mental state. Her command of English could also have factored into it, given that she's a foreign exchange student.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This is true (and, apparently, just what happened according to the second article). If she told the security team everything that is in the second story, then I agree that they should have investigated.

I agree here too. I'm a bit skeptical, however, that she simply told them about hearing voices through the vent about her body, suggesting that their owners had been watching her within her apartment - and they committed her for that. If she ran in completely hysterical, babbling about "hearing voices" and thinking that "someone is watching her", I could very much see them being concerned for her mental state. Her command of English could also have factored into it, given that she's a foreign exchange student.

Actually they shouldn't have investigated and couldn't have done so legally. She lived in a basement apartment. That is pretty clearly off campus housing. Campus security has no authority.

The right thing to do would have been to refer to the local police.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
she didn't feel she was being watched,
she heard comments that made her think she was being watched.

I wonder if a language barrier made them think she was crazy.
Not using the right words could sound paranoid.

Just look at what people posted.

I feel like I am being watched...
I think I am being watched...
I heard someone talking about watching me...

We might think they mean the same but one sounds paranoid, one sounds
possibly paranoid, and the final means you have reason to believe you are being watched.

To be commited, a person has to be a threat to society or themselves.
It would be interesting to know on what grounds they had her comitted.

The colledge owes her for the classes that she missed if they were the ones to commit her.

Spy gadgets are too good. Cameras don't look like cameras, and they are very small. I believe you can put one inside a working smoke detector. I am not positive on that though. Definately could build a camera in the frame of a smoke detector.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-tiny-have-tiny-security-cameras-gotten.html

Some of these cameras have gotten so small that they can fit inside of a pen, inside a watch, hidden in a pair of glasses, or even rest on the head of a pin! Some of these can be disguised so well that you wouldn’t know it's a camera even if you were looking directly at it. Take the watch, for example. Around the face of the watch, 4 numbers are specially stylized. The numbers 2, 4, 8, and 10 are all stylized, and due to the stylization, all of them have a circular or near circular hole in them. One of them has a camera hidden in that circle.

Upvote 0