Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Saudi Arabia camel carvings dated to prehistoric era

"A series of camel sculptures carved into rock faces in Saudi Arabia are likely to be the oldest large-scale animal reliefs in the world, a study says.

When the carvings were first discovered in 2018, researchers estimated they were created about 2,000 years ago.

This was based on their similarity to reliefs at Jordan's famous ancient city of Petra.

But a fresh study puts the camels at between 7,000-8,000 old.

The researchers, who published their findings in the Journal of Archaeological Science, assessed erosion patterns, analysed tool marks, and tested animal bones found at the site to determine a new date for the sculptures' creation.

Their age makes them even older than such ancient landmarks as Stonehenge (5,000 years old) or the Pyramids at Giza (4,500 years old). They even predate the domestication of camels, a catalyst for economic development in the region.

At the time of their creation, Saudi Arabia looked very different, with plains of grass dotted with lakes rather than the deserts of today.”

----

Interesting findings. Coupled with the large mustalil altars recently also found there, I think we may be looking at a significant change in how early civilisation is seen. The prominence of camels, although no sign in the sculpture of domestication, makes me think the late date for their domestication might conceivably also be off. It puts to mind the early camels amongst the patriarchs.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

"A series of camel sculptures carved into rock faces in Saudi Arabia are likely to be the oldest large-scale animal reliefs in the world, a study says.

When the carvings were first discovered in 2018, researchers estimated they were created about 2,000 years ago.

This was based on their similarity to reliefs at Jordan's famous ancient city of Petra.

The researchers, who published their findings in the Journal of Archaeological Science, assessed erosion patterns, analysed tool marks, and tested animal bones found at the site to determine a new date for the sculptures' creation.

Their age makes them even older than such ancient landmarks as Stonehenge (5,000 years old) or the Pyramids at Giza (4,500 years old). They even predate the domestication of camels, a catalyst for economic development in the region.

At the time of their creation, Saudi Arabia looked very different, with plains of grass dotted with lakes rather than the deserts of today.”

----

Interesting findings. Coupled with the large mustalil altars recently also found there, I think we may be looking at a significant change in how early civilisation is seen. The prominence of camels, although no sign in the sculpture of domestication, makes me think the late date for their domestication might conceivably also be off. It puts to mind the early camels amongst the patriarchs.
Interesting. The sceptics cast doubt on Genesis because there were supposedly no domesticated camels in that region at that time. So the doubters are wrong yet again.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting. The sceptics cast doubt on Genesis because there were supposedly no domesticated camels in that region at that time. So the doubters are wrong yet again.

They'll just do what they always do...refuse to accept it as valid for one reason or another.

• Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟243,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

More interestingly:

They appear to be older than creationists believe creation itself is and managed to survive the chaotic geologic upheaval that is said to have happened during The Flood.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Seems a bit unlikely that many animals, except dogs and small ruminants, were domesticated at that time. A lot of neolithic art features wild animals, so that may just be the case here too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
They'll just do what they always do...refuse to accept it as valid for one reason or another.
No Bible-literalism skeptics need ancient camel status to break one way or the other. That notion is just absurd.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

----

Do they show one going through the eye of a needle?

• Haha
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

—You don't mean to imply that global warming has been going on for some time now!?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
More interestingly:

They appear to be older than creationists believe creation itself is and managed to survive the chaotic geologic upheaval that is said to have happened during The Flood.
Not all creationists subscribe to the young earth creation. I'm one who does not. I'm far from alone. And every living creature survived the flood. Who knows, maybe Noah domesticated camels. He had a bit of spare time, I imagine.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Seems a bit unlikely that many animals, except dogs and small ruminants, were domesticated at that time. A lot of neolithic art features wild animals, so that may just be the case here too.
The reality is that we do not know. I long ago decided that the Bible is authoritative. If Abraham was said to have camels, I can see no reason to doubt it. I've read articles that claim there were no camels in the region at the time. Why would they claim that? Because there is nothing to say that there were. Until now. So arguing from silence is not wise.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

----

Not to be picayune, but these while sculpted, are more along the lines of relief-carvings, always intended to be supported by the rock from which it is carved; still being dated to the late Stone-Age, impressive work, better than nearly ANYTHING that I have produced.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reality is that we do not know. I long ago decided that the Bible is authoritative. If Abraham was said to have camels, I can see no reason to doubt it. I've read articles that claim there were no camels in the region at the time. Why would they claim that? Because there is nothing to say that there were. Until now. So arguing from silence is not wise.

I see if differently. I don't think that whether or not Abraham had camels really has any bearing on the meaning of the narrative. Given that it was written much later, it would be surprising if there weren't any anachronisms. These days we check everything for minute accuracy, writers and audiences back in OT times didn't have the same preoccupation with historical details.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,011,749.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Same goes for Corgis. They were def there in those times.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I hear corgis were brought on the ark for emergency rations, but that's just a scurrilous rumour^_^
OT: I know a Corgi/Shelty mix dog, and you will never find a sweeter dog on the planet. This one is not particularly bright, though, lol. Beautiful dog.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,011,749.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I hear corgis were brought on the ark for emergency rations, but that's just a scurrilous rumour^_^

They were on the Ark. They kept the cats in line!

• Agree
Upvote 0