Calvin's Institutes For Kindle - Best Version?

MichaelNZ

Servus Mariae
Nov 10, 2006
Dunedin, New Zealand
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In the thread on the best edition of Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion, it was mentioned that this edition was the best. However, the first review mentioned that it was very poorly laid out for Kindle users. In light of this, which digital version of Calvin's institutes would be best for the Kindle?

bsd058

Sola and Tota Scripturist
Oct 9, 2012
Florida, USA
✟14,546.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
In the thread on the best edition of Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion, it was mentioned that this edition was the best. However, the first review mentioned that it was very poorly laid out for Kindle users. In light of this, which digital version of Calvin's institutes would be best for the Kindle?
If your eyes get tired, you can find the audio version here: MP3 Files for Institutes of the Christian Religion (by John Calvin) - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

I haven't listened to them yet so I'm not sure of their quality. I plan on using it while I run, and before I go to sleep.

I downloaded them. I guess it's only the first 2 books.

Edit: Found the rest here --> http://www.doxologypress.org/theaudio/audio/calvin/index.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lizabth

Marburgian- Lutheran
May 4, 2010
USA
✟7,966.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

christcentred

Feb 18, 2013
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Visit site
✟15,142.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Just be aware, the Henry Beveridge version is not really the best English versions, though the best don't seem to be on Kindle. If I remember rightly, one of Calvin's successors took it upon himself to rewrite the Institutes. Beveridge is a translation of that. I know Covenant Seminary in US and Welsh Evangelical School of Theology in the UK use the McNeill/Battles edition.You of course can read Beveridge, but it's worth bearing the limitations of his translation in mind.

Upvote 0

Lizabth

Marburgian- Lutheran
May 4, 2010
USA
✟7,966.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Just be aware, the Henry Beveridge version is not really the best English versions, though the best don't seem to be on Kindle. If I remember rightly, one of Calvin's successors took it upon himself to rewrite the Institutes. Beveridge is a translation of that. I know Covenant Seminary in US and Welsh Evangelical School of Theology in the UK use the McNeill/Battles edition.You of course can read Beveridge, but it's worth bearing the limitations of his translation in mind.

Thanks, I did not know this.

Upvote 0