• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvin's Institutes For Kindle - Best Version?

Discussion in 'Semper Reformanda' started by MichaelNZ, Feb 4, 2013.

1. MichaelNZ

MichaelNZ Servus Mariae

+66
    New Zealand
    Catholic
    Single
    In the thread on the best edition of Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion, it was mentioned that this edition was the best. However, the first review mentioned that it was very poorly laid out for Kindle users. In light of this, which digital version of Calvin's institutes would be best for the Kindle?

2. Apologetic_Warrior

Apologetic_Warrior Saved by Grace through Faith

+580
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
  3. bsd058

bsd058 Sola and Tota Scripturist

+90
    Presbyterian
    Married
    If your eyes get tired, you can find the audio version here: MP3 Files for Institutes of the Christian Religion (by John Calvin) - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

I haven't listened to them yet so I'm not sure of their quality. I plan on using it while I run, and before I go to sleep.

I downloaded them. I guess it's only the first 2 books.

Edit: Found the rest here --> http://www.doxologypress.org/theaudio/audio/calvin/index.html

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  4. Lizabth

Lizabth Marburgian- Lutheran

+23
    Lutheran
    Married
  5. christcentred

christcentred Newbie

+1
    Calvinist
    Married
    Just be aware, the Henry Beveridge version is not really the best English versions, though the best don't seem to be on Kindle. If I remember rightly, one of Calvin's successors took it upon himself to rewrite the Institutes. Beveridge is a translation of that. I know Covenant Seminary in US and Welsh Evangelical School of Theology in the UK use the McNeill/Battles edition.You of course can read Beveridge, but it's worth bearing the limitations of his translation in mind.

6. Lizabth

Lizabth Marburgian- Lutheran

+23
    Lutheran
    Married

Thanks, I did not know this.