✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Greetings,

I first wanted to say upfront that I am not reformed however I have a friend who is expressing his disagreement (rather strongly) to 5 Point Calvinism (TULIP). I would prefer not have this turn into another Calvinism/Arminianism debate. Rather, I want to make sure that I am showing respect towards Reformed Denominations and the Christians who follow 5 Point Calvinism by ensuring that I am communicating what the doctrines actually mean as opposed to what many have been told to believe about them. I have read 'The Institutes' by Calvin and numerous other Reformed resources. So I feel like I have a fairly decent grasp on the topic. However, I would like to be able to break it down as simply as possible as if I was talking to a child. I will provide and example from my understanding. If you could please add, modify, delete or correct to help me be accurate and not spread inaccurate information. That would be very appreciative.

Total Depravity: It means everything about our being has been stained or corrupted by sin.
It doesn't mean we are "No Good". Rather, it means nothing about us is perfect so we have nothing worthy enough to offer God in return for our salvation. Salvation is through His grace alone. Further more, we have a will, however, it isn't free. Rather it is a slave to sin. We are dead to sin. Thus, to suggest that we can choose to be saved is like saying a prisoner can choose to walk out of their cell or a corpse can choose to come back to life. Only through God's grace is it possible to come to salvation.

Unconditional Election: God chooses His elect solely by His sovereign will. There are absolutely no conditions that are placed on us that will dictate whether or not God elects us. Thus, we cannot earn election nor can we loose election as a result of any actions on our part.

Limited Atonement: Although Christ died for everyone and the Atonement was offered universally, it is limited in application. It doesn't mean Christ died for only the elect. He died for all, but only the elect will have the atonement applied to their sins at the moment of justification.

Irresistible Grace: When God begins his work on his elect, it is impossible to turn away from it. Like a fly drawn to a flytrap, accepting the grace is inevitable.

Perseverance/Preservation of the Elect: Going back to the fly trap analogy. If Irresistible Grace is a fly drawn to a trap, Perseverance of the elect is a fly caught in the trap. Once are hearts are transformed by the renewing of the spirit, it is impossible to turn away from it. Theoretically we could choose to turn away from God. However, it would be actually impossible. As a result, the elect will persevere till the end. The elect will 'finish the race'.

Once again, I know these are very rudimentary explanations and much detail has been left out. But I am merely trying to communicate the basics to bring clarification and understanding of what TULIP actually means to address the misconceptions many people have. Thank you.​

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Limited Atonement: Although Christ died for everyone and the Atonement was offered universally, it is limited in application. It doesn't mean Christ died for only the elect. He died for all, but only the elect will have the atonement applied to their sins at the moment of justification.

That's a weaker statement than I would make. I would say that God intended to save only the elect (i.e. not that He intended to save everybody but failed).

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perseverance/Preservation of the Elect: Going back to the fly trap analogy. If Irresistible Grace is a fly drawn to a trap, Perseverance of the elect is a fly caught in the trap. Once are hearts are transformed by the renewing of the spirit, it is impossible to turn away from it. Theoretically we could choose to turn away from God. However, it would be actually impossible. As a result, the elect will persevere till the end. The elect will 'finish the race'.

This point relies on promises like Philippians 1:6: And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

But the definitive summary of the 5 points is this: The Canons of Dordt

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's a weaker statement than I would make. I would say that God intended to save only the elect (i.e. not that He intended to save everybody but failed).
Just so I understand you correctly. You are suggesting that I word it like this?

Limited Atonement: Although Christ died for everyone and the Atonement was offered universally, it is limited in application. It doesn't mean Christ died for only the elect. He died for all, but God intended to save only the elect and the elect will have the atonement applied to their sins at the moment of justification.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This point relies on promises like Philippians 1:6: And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

But the definitive summary of the 5 points is this: The Canons of Dordt
Would you consider the explanation that I provided to be accurate? Remember, I am trying to break it down "Barney Style" for a friend.

Edit: Also, thank you for the reference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Five Points of Calvinism

David N. Steele & Curtis C. Thomas

Total Depravity

Because of the fall, man is unable of himself to savingly believe the gospel. The sinner is dead, blind, and deaf to the things of God; his heart is deceitful and desperately corrupt. His will is not free, it is in bondage to his evil nature; therefore, he will not--indeed he cannot--choose good over evil in the spiritual realm. Consequently, it takes much more than the Spirit's assistance to bring a sinner to Christ--it takes regeneration by which the Spirit makes the sinner alive and gives him a new nature. Faith is not something man contributes to salvation but is itself a part of God's gift of salvation--it is God's gift to the sinner, not the sinner’s gift to God.

(Genesis 2:15-17, Romans 5:12, Psalm 51:5, 1 Corinthians 2:14, Romans 3:10-18, Jeremiah 17:9, John 6:44, Ephesians 2:1-10)

Unconditional Election

God's choice of certain individuals unto salvation before the foundation of the world rested solely in His own sovereign will. His choice of particular sinners was not based on any foreseen response or obedience on their part, such as faith, repentance, etc. On the contrary, God gives faith and repentance to each individual whom He selected. These acts are the result, not the cause of God's choice. Election therefore was not determined by or conditioned upon any virtuous quality or act foreseen in man. Those whom God sovereignly elected He brings through the power of the Spirit to a willing acceptance of Christ. Thus God's choice of the sinner, not the sinner’s choice of Christ, is the ultimate cause of salvation.

(Romans 9:10-21, Ephesians 1:4-11, Ephesians 2:4-10, Romans 8:29-30, Acts 11:18, Acts 13:48)

Limited Atonement

Christ's redeeming work was intended to save the elect only and actually secured salvation for them. His death was a substitutionary endurance of the penalty of sin in the place of certain specified sinners. In addition to putting away the sins of His people, Christ's redemption secured everything necessary for their salvation, including faith which united them to Him. The gift of faith is infallibly applied by the Spirit to all for whom Christ died, thereby guaranteeing their salvation.

(Matthew 1:21, Romans 5:12-21, Romans 3:21-26, Ephesians 2:8-10, Titus 3:5-6, Philippians 1:6, John 10:11-30, John 17:6-12, Romans 8:28-30, John 6:44, Acts 20:28)

Irresistible Grace

In addition to the outward general call to salvation which is made to everyone who hears the gospel, the Holy Spirit extends to the elect a special inward call that inevitably brings them to salvation. The external call (which is made to all without distinction) can be, and often is, rejected; whereas the internal call (which is made only to the elect) cannot be rejected, it always results in conversion. By means of this special call the Spirit irresistibly draws sinners to Christ. He is not limited in His work of applying salvation by man's will, nor is He dependent upon man's cooperation for success. The Spirit graciously causes the elect sinner to cooperate, to believe, to repent, to come freely and willingly to Christ. God's grace, therefore, is invincible; it never fails to result in the salvation of those to whom it is extended.

(John 3:16, Matthew 22:14, Acts 17:29-31, Matthew 23:37-39, John 6:44, Romans 8:28-30, John 1:12-13, John 3:1-8, Ephesians 2:8-10)

Perseverance of the Saints

All who were chosen by God, redeemed by Christ, and given faith by the Spirit are eternally saved. They are kept in faith by the power of Almighty God and thus persevere to the end.

(John 3:16, John 6:35-40, John 6:44, Philippians 1:6, Philippians 2:12-13, Jude 24-25, Ephesians 1:13-14, Romans 8:28-30, Romans 8:35-39)

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Still don't like it, I'm afraid.

What you need is a "TULIP for dummies." I'll look for one.

How about this?
Limited Atonement: Although Christ died for everyone and the Atonement was offered universally, it is limited in application. It doesn't mean Christ died for only the elect. Rather, His death was intended to save only the elect and that the atonement applied only to the sins of the elect at the moment of justification.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Total Depravity

Because of the fall, man is unable of himself to savingly believe the gospel. The sinner is dead, blind, and deaf to the things of God; his heart is deceitful and desperately corrupt. His will is not free, it is in bondage to his evil nature; therefore, he will not--indeed he cannot--choose good over evil in the spiritual realm. Consequently, it takes much more than the Spirit's assistance to bring a sinner to Christ--it takes regeneration by which the Spirit makes the sinner alive and gives him a new nature. Faith is not something man contributes to salvation but is itself a part of God's gift of salvation--it is God's gift to the sinner, not the sinner’s gift to God.

(Genesis 2:15-17, Romans 5:12, Psalm 51:5, 1 Corinthians 2:14, Romans 3:10-18, Jeremiah 17:9, John 6:44, Ephesians 2:1-10)

Unconditional Election

God's choice of certain individuals unto salvation before the foundation of the world rested solely in His own sovereign will. His choice of particular sinners was not based on any foreseen response or obedience on their part, such as faith, repentance, etc. On the contrary, God gives faith and repentance to each individual whom He selected. These acts are the result, not the cause of God's choice. Election therefore was not determined by or conditioned upon any virtuous quality or act foreseen in man. Those whom God sovereignly elected He brings through the power of the Spirit to a willing acceptance of Christ. Thus God's choice of the sinner, not the sinner’s choice of Christ, is the ultimate cause of salvation.

(Romans 9:10-21, Ephesians 1:4-11, Ephesians 2:4-10, Romans 8:29-30, Acts 11:18, Acts 13:48)

Limited Atonement

Christ's redeeming work was intended to save the elect only and actually secured salvation for them. His death was a substitutionary endurance of the penalty of sin in the place of certain specified sinners. In addition to putting away the sins of His people, Christ's redemption secured everything necessary for their salvation, including faith which united them to Him. The gift of faith is infallibly applied by the Spirit to all for whom Christ died, thereby guaranteeing their salvation.

(Matthew 1:21, Romans 5:12-21, Romans 3:21-26, Ephesians 2:8-10, Titus 3:5-6, Philippians 1:6, John 10:11-30, John 17:6-12, Romans 8:28-30, John 6:44, Acts 20:28)

Irresistible Grace

In addition to the outward general call to salvation which is made to everyone who hears the gospel, the Holy Spirit extends to the elect a special inward call that inevitably brings them to salvation. The external call (which is made to all without distinction) can be, and often is, rejected; whereas the internal call (which is made only to the elect) cannot be rejected, it always results in conversion. By means of this special call the Spirit irresistibly draws sinners to Christ. He is not limited in His work of applying salvation by man's will, nor is He dependent upon man's cooperation for success. The Spirit graciously causes the elect sinner to cooperate, to believe, to repent, to come freely and willingly to Christ. God's grace, therefore, is invincible; it never fails to result in the salvation of those to whom it is extended.

(John 3:16, Matthew 22:14, Acts 17:29-31, Matthew 23:37-39, John 6:44, Romans 8:28-30, John 1:12-13, John 3:1-8, Ephesians 2:8-10)

All who were chosen by God, redeemed by Christ, and given faith by the Spirit are eternally saved. They are kept in faith by the power of Almighty God and thus persevere to the end.

(John 3:16, John 6:35-40, John 6:44, Philippians 1:6, Philippians 2:12-13, Jude 24-25, Ephesians 1:13-14, Romans 8:28-30, Romans 8:35-39)
Hey Dave! Thank you! This is perfect and simple. I will be printing this post and using it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Huh? Where did "and that the atonement applied only to the sins of the elect at the moment of justification" come from? We Calvinists don't believe that at all.
It was something that was explained to me from Pastor Thomas Cassidy aka. "T.Cassidy" from Baptist Board. If I recall, he explained that for the elect, atonement is deferred. Prior to justification, even the elect are dead to their sins. The atonement is still available to them, however it does not take effect and "wash their sins away" until justification. I am sure I am probably butchering it. He explained it more articulately.

• Informative
Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was something that was explained to me from Pastor Thomas Cassidy aka. "T.Cassidy" from Baptist Board. If I recall, he explained that for the elect, atonement is deferred. Prior to justification, even the elect are dead to their sins. The atonement is still available to them, however it does not take effect and "wash their sins away" until justification. I am sure I am probably butchering it. He explained it more articulately.

Doesn't sound like Calvinism to me.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't sound like Calvinism to me.
Here is the conversation I had on Baptist Board: Limited Atonement: Let's set the record straight.

TCassidy #38"Christ died for all. The Atonement is sufficient for all. But the Atonement is only applied to believers. If the Atonement is applied to all, including unbelievers, you have believed the damnable heresy of Universalism (universal salvation). "

delizzle #52 "That is not limited atonement. It is universal atonement with a limited application. You should know this. It's in the book you taught out of."

"The Scriptures represent the atonement as having been made for all men, and as sufficient for the salvation of all. Not the atonement therefore is limited, but the application of the atonement through the work of the Holy Spirit. Upon this principle of a universal atonement, but a special application of it to the elect, we must interpret such passages as Eph. 1:4, 7; 2 Tim. 1:9, 10; John 17:9, 20, 24—asserting a special efficacy of the atonement in the case of the elect; and also such passages as 2 Pet. 2:1; 1 John 2:2; Tim. 2:6; 4:10; Tit. 2:11—asserting that the death of Christ is for all" (strong 1907, 455)

TCassidy #53 "Yes. Strong was a 5 Point Calvinist. He understood the fact that the "L" in TULIP limited the APPLICATION of the Atonement, not its sufficiency for all sins of all people."

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Total Depravity: It means everything about our being has been stained or corrupted by sin.
It doesn't mean we are "No Good". Rather, it means nothing about us is perfect so we have nothing worthy enough to offer God in return for our salvation. Salvation is through His grace alone. Further more, we have a will, however, it isn't free. Rather it is a slave to sin. We are dead to sin. Thus, to suggest that we can choose to be saved is like saying a prisoner can choose to walk out of their cell or a corpse can choose to come back to life. Only through God's grace is it possible to come to salvation.

You have taken Total Depravity past its definition into some of its reasonable implications. One good way to see the doctrine of Total Depravity is to show what it is not. "...the idea of total in total depravity doesn’t mean that all human beings are as wicked as they can possibly be. It means that the fall was so serious that it affects the whole person." --quote from Ligionier Ministries

That is more a forgiving of the Doctrine of Limited Atonement than a definition. One of the best ways of defining it is to call it the Doctrine of Specific Atonement. Christ came to save specific people, chosen from the foundation of the World. He died for ONLY the elect. (Yes, he died for "whosoever will", but guess who that turns out to be!)

I think the rest of what you say is well said.

It is worth noting that the 5 points were drawn up as a response to the "5 points of Arminianism". It is not a total description of Reformed doctrine, but a useful reference for the Doctrine of God, and specifically the Sovereignty of God. It is most useful perhaps in defining the Gospel of Grace, i.e. the means by which God saves, and intrinsically, the meaning of Salvation.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I wouldn't explain perseverance of the Saints like flies in a trap either... that's weird and insulting to God and men. .

For example: Are you saved? Does God's Holy Spirit testify in your spirit that your a child of God? Have you been justified and do you truly believe in Jesus as your Lord and Savior?

Then your one of Gods elect and you will persevere on the path set before you just as the Bible says.

Not because your forced or because your trapped unto it, but out of love and devotion to your Lord and Savior.

You can say no to God and walk away, but God elect are more likely to end up like Jonah in the belly of a whale until they come around to Gods way of thinking if they do. Nothing like rock bottom to see the error of ones ways. "but, but, but, Nineveh!"

One of the things we learn when we are saved is that we are no more worthy than anyone else of God's mercy, and should desire for all what we desire for ourselves. Love is the highest calling - but this isn't force and it's not a trap, it's God's gentle correcting of His people if we find ourselves in error and in need of it..

Was Jonah right to desire God withhold mercy? Or was God right that it's God's right to have mercy on all whom He will?

It's not a trap when a parent prevents their child from running out into the street after a ball... it's protecting out of love - God loves us. We dont deserve it, but we are ever so grateful for it, and we love Him because He first loved us.

So.. there is that. Its not equal to a Venus fly trap.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Greetings,

I first wanted to say upfront that I am not reformed however I have a friend who is expressing his disagreement (rather strongly) to 5 Point Calvinism (TULIP). I would prefer not have this turn into another Calvinism/Arminianism debate. Rather, I want to make sure that I am showing respect towards Reformed Denominations and the Christians who follow 5 Point Calvinism by ensuring that I am communicating what the doctrines actually mean as opposed to what many have been told to believe about them. I have read 'The Institutes' by Calvin and numerous other Reformed resources. So I feel like I have a fairly decent grasp on the topic. However, I would like to be able to break it down as simply as possible as if I was talking to a child. I will provide and example from my understanding. If you could please add, modify, delete or correct to help me be accurate and not spread inaccurate information. That would be very appreciative.

Formal doctrine and systematic theology are not my strong suit, but I'll take a pass at it. You seem interested in a straight forward positive argument, that's generally my preference as well. I identify with Calvinism myself because I've always longed to identify with a solid tradition and found others to be less then defensible.

Total Depravity:
It means everything about our being has been stained or corrupted by sin.

What this brings to mind for me is that sin transcends the entire human condition. Repentance is somewhat like the burnt offering of Leviticus was reduced completely to ashes, the idea being the death of the old nature. The new nature comes figuratively as a seed, the incorruptible word of God, essentially it is the righteousness of God in Christ, the essential meaning of being born again is to become a new creature in Christ. When Jesus describes discipleship in the Beatitudes the first thing he says is, blessed are the poor, for theirs is the kingdom of God. The word used doesn't mean working poor, it means utterly destitute, poor, pitiful blind and naked. Only through an act of kindness and compassion will they be able to survive. Mind you I'm not presenting this as formal doctrine, just a general discussion of how I've come to understand it.

Unconditional Election:
God chooses His elect solely by His sovereign will. There are absolutely no conditions that are placed on us that will dictate whether or not God elects us. Thus, we cannot earn election nor can we loose election as a result of any actions on our part.

Righteousness is God's essential divine nature (Rom. 1:18-20), without it you cannot survive final judgment. There is only one source for it, Christ alone is the author and finisher of our faith (Heb. 12:2). Two things are revealed in the gospel, one that we are all sinners that have fallen short of the glory of God, and the righteousness of God in Christ that is by faith (Romans 3:21-23). The formal doctrine here I recognize is justification by grace through faith alone. God alone decides who will be the elect, included in the beloved, raised incorruptible in the translation at Christ's return and glorified on the last day. Do bear in mind, there is a difference between eternal sin and temporal, God alone has domain over who receives eternal life.

Limited Atonement:
Although Christ died for everyone and the Atonement was offered universally, it is limited in application. It doesn't mean Christ died for only the elect. He died for all, but only the elect will have the atonement applied to their sins at the moment of justification.

This is where I believe the atonement actually happened in redemptive history:
When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: G5055 and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost. (John 19:30)
It is finished, it's used quite often in Apocalyptic writings, the word is 'teleo', from which we get telescope. It's the idea of fulfilling prophecy, when Jesus was offered the gall it was the last piece of the prophetic puzzle, a very detailed event in redemptive history to be sure. Jesus had to fulfill all of them, basically he is saying, that's it, I did it. Check out how it's used in the Apocalypses, aka the Revelation:
G5055 - teleō Accomplish, Accomplishment: "to finish, to bring to an end" (telos, "an end"), frequently signifies, not merely to terminate a thing, but to carry out a thing to the full. It is used especially in the Apocalypse, where it occurs eight times, and is rendered "finish" in Rev 10:7; 11:7, and in the RV of Rev 15:1, which rightly translates it "(in them) is finished (the wrath of God)." So in Rev 10:8; in Rev 17:17, RV, "accomplish," and "finish" in Rev 20:3,5,7; in Luke 2:39, RV, "accomplish," for AV, "performed." (Vine’s Dictionary)

I don't want to bog this down with semantics but certain terms are crucial, I wanted to be clear on this point.

Irresistible Grace:
When God begins his work on his elect, it is impossible to turn away from it. Like a fly drawn to a flytrap, accepting the grace is inevitable.

I like to think of it more as unconditional surrender. Mind you, this does not mean you don't have a choice. You must recon (consider, impute, count) yourself as actually dead to sin, that requires an act of God:
The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. (Romans 6:10-11)

That word translated 'count' here is imputed, here is how it's used elsewhere:
But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, G3049 if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; (Romans 4:24)

That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted G3049 for the seed. (Romans 9:8)

Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think G3049 any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God (2 Corinthians 3:5)

The elect can no more refuse righteousness then the sinner can refuse to sin. That is the only way you can be the elect, if you were to refuse it you would be a child of perdition. Of course it's irresistible, because unless you resist it in the first place you could not be born again.

Perseverance/Preservation of the Elect:
Going back to the fly trap analogy. If Irresistible Grace is a fly drawn to a trap, Perseverance of the elect is a fly caught in the trap. Once are hearts are transformed by the renewing of the spirit, it is impossible to turn away from it. Theoretically we could choose to turn away from God. However, it would be actually impossible. As a result, the elect will persevere till the end. The elect will 'finish the race'.

The word translated 'finish' is the same word Jesus used on the cross to speak of the fulfillment of his work on the cross. It's also used to speak of fulfilling the Law (Rom. 2:27), fulfilling the lusts of the flesh (Gal. 5:15), and finishing a race (2 Timothy 4:7). Eternal security is synonymous with eternal life, anything less then that is not salvation by any estimation I understand.

Once again, I know these are very rudimentary explanations and much detail has been left out. But I am merely trying to communicate the basics to bring clarification and understanding of what TULIP actually means to address the misconceptions many people have. Thank you.

Nicely done, not really sure about your fly catcher analogy but not too bad. I wanted to add a couple of terms I gleaned in my study, in the hopes of expanding the discussion to a couple of choice expositions. My compliments on your brevity and civility, it's always a welcome sight on these boards, to me at any rate.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Total Depravity

Unconditional Election

Limited Atonement

Irresistible Grace

Good summary, the only thing I personally would add to is the Limited Atonement part.

Christ's death was sufficient to save all men, but it's scope and intent was aimed for his elect. It is a small modification, I think many Calvinists forget that Christ's death was displayed as a propitiation to receive by faith. The intent was to only save the elect, who receive it by faith, but Christ's blood was not limited to that number in power and sufficiency. This is not to say Christ died for all men, but died as a propitiation to be received by those who believe, and those who believe are those God's works, intended for them.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good summary, the only thing I personally would add to is the Limited Atonement part.

Christ's death was sufficient to save all men, but it's scope and intent was aimed for his elect. It is a small modification, I think many Calvinists forget that Christ's death was displayed as a propitiation to receive by faith. The intent was to only save the elect, who receive it by faith, but Christ's blood was not limited to that number in power and sufficiency. This is not to say Christ died for all men, but died as a propitiation to be received by those who believe, and those who believe are those God's works, intended for them.
This is Amyraldianism (4 point Calvinisism) = glossed over Arminianism

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is Amyraldianism (4 point Calvinisism) = glossed over Arminianism

"The death of the Son of God is the only and most perfect sacrifice and satisfaction for sin; and is of infinite worth and value, abundantly sufficient to expiate the sins of the whole world."

- Canons of Dordt, Second Head, Third Article

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"The death of the Son of God is the only and most perfect sacrifice and satisfaction for sin; and is of infinite worth and value, abundantly sufficient to expiate the sins of the whole world."

- Canons of Dordt, Second Head, Third Article
But when you make it conditional, it denies the intrinsic power of the atonement to save.

Upvote 0