Calvinists do not really affirm "the purpose of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever"

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If that's the case, they how should a Calvinist answer the question, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" Now unless the question is asked of a hyper-Calvinist, Calvinists deviate from Calvinism to answer that question, because Calvinists don't typically embrace the logical implications of Calvinism.
I’m guessing that nobody has explained this to you before, and that you’ve never looked for the answer on your own. You’ve just come to this conclusion without any research or interaction with those holding to Reformed Theology.

Salvation is many-faceted. Election is only part of it. We are elected to salvation. Election isn’t salvation. There’s also regeneration (born again; new heart). And there’s justification (the result of belief). God ordains the means as well as the ends.

I hope this clears it up, and you will no longer see this as logically inconsistent.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Sirs what must I do to be saved. Believe on the Lord Jesus and you shall be saved. Of course that means nothing to the condemned and the damned to who God has not chosen. for Gods sacrifice was only ever for his elect. And by that I mean all peoples he has chosen past and present and future from the four corners of the world. That’s what the sacrifice of Jesus Christ was all about.
But that answer is inconsistent with the tenet of Calvinism whereby people are elect to eternal life prior being born and that not based upon their faith. To be logically consistent with Calvinism one would have to answer something like, "There's nothing you can do to be saved. You were either elect to eternal life prior to being born or you were elect to eternal damnation prior to you doing anything wrong. Your fate was set in place then. However, if you believe in Jesus, that will reveal that you are one of those who had already been elect to eternal life."

As I said, Calvinists don't typically give that answer because keep logical consistency with the implications of Calvinism is not a priority for them.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
I’m guessing that nobody has explained this to you before, and that you’ve never looked for the answer on your own. You’ve just come to this conclusion without any research or interaction with those holding to Reformed Theology.
You'd be mistaken on that point. Not only have a spent years talking with Calvinists, I've even had whole threads on these forums discussion the matter, and I've read both Augustine and Calvin. So your "guess" was wrong.

Salvation is many-faceted. Election is only part of it. We are elected to salvation. Election isn’t salvation. There’s also regeneration (born again; new heart). And there’s justification (the result of belief). God ordains the means as well as the ends.

I hope this clears it up, and you will no longer see this as logically inconsistent.
Nothing that you stated here "clears up" the logically inconsistency between the tenets of Calvinism and what Calvinists say.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
You have to believe: “God is contradicting Himself”, since it would not be consistent with His Love to not save everyone. While it is totally consistent with an all Loving God to save: all those, who of their own free will, are willing to accept salvation and not save all those who do not want to be saved “go to a place of only Godly type Love”. God is not going to force his Love, salvation on people and kidnap them to heaven.

I am not the one needing God or Christ to lie, as seen in the above answer.

It is of your own opinion that in order to prove He's loving God needs to save everyone. And it is of Jesus's own saying that He will lose nothing.

So.... since we know not everyone is redeemed; by your own belief system, both God is unloving and Jesus is a liar.

If you go with "Jesus is not a liar"; than you have to admit something is wrong with your notion that God can not be loving because He does not save everyone. Remember though, if you want to argue "what is fair"; "fair" would mean everyone ends up in the lake of fire because all are guilty of sin.

God just can't pretend sin is not there. It HAS to be atoned for. If God could just ignore it and just pardon them without their needing to be atoned for, there'd be no need for the crucifixion.

God decided before time began to save all who would accept His Charity.

This is not what the Scripture says though. Romans 9:11 is very clear, "before they'd done good or evil that the purpose of God according to election might stand; not of works but of Him (God) who calls."

Now you try to make the argument that Romans 9 is some form of literary device that Paul is using illustrating the contrast between Jew and Gentile. Except.... Jacob and Esau had the same mother and father. So, therefore it was not of genetic heritage that one was elect and the other wasn't.

(Which is the argument the Jews make even to this day; that they are "God's chosen people" because they are descendants of Abraham. (We won't get into the technicality that most modern Jews aren't even genetically Semitic; that's a different issue, linked to the fact that Jesus said the disobedient of the nation would be destroyed and "Israel" the earthly entity would actually cease to exist.) Yet that is indeed the argument made; that because of some ancestor in the distant past, God sees me more favorably than He sees you.)

Romans 9:10-13 illustrate this truth specifically that election is of God's own prerogative because there is no doubt that Jacob and Esau came from the same parents. In order to have twins, they have to be conceived at the same time; so it's not like one could even argue they had different fathers (which would account for why one was favored and the other was not).

No, as far as actual medical science has been able to determine; it's not even possible they would have had different fathers. Some claim based on alleged "outcomes" of paternity suits that it is possible for fraternal twins to have different fathers. That concept has been around since ancient times and twin pregnancies was often the grounds for accusing a woman of adultery in the past.

Yet medical research papers cite that the "research" in all these paternity cases is dubious at best. At least in situations where conception has not occurred on account of human intervention with the use of fertility treatment methods. There are cases where medical intervention has conceived fraternal twins with different fathers because of mistakes of donor mixups at the fertilization state, or implanting the wrong embryo.

As far as natural conception goes though; that possibility becomes far more remote, seeing how the window of opportunity for conception is only actually about 24 hours at the point the egg is released from the ovary. Sperm are only viable inside a female body for about 3 days; which if they are already present at the time the egg emerges from the ovary, there is a good chance fertilization will occur.

Medical science has also discovered that in cases of sperm present from multiple sources; the sperm that was "there first" will actually attack and kill the other sperm. And seeing how changes that take place within the female body occurs within 24 hours after conception, prevent the release of additional eggs, in order for fraternal twins to be conceived, both eggs have been released within that 24 hour window. So though the theoretical possibility of fraternal twins having different fathers is plausible; unless one is looking at a mother who's actually had multiple partners within that 24 hour window (for example - a prostitute), the probability is pretty remote.

So getting back to Romans 9; Paul uses the example of Jacob and Esau to prove the point that the determining factor of who is elect solely resides within God's prerogative. If that was not the force of the point he was making; he would have used Issac and Ishmael as his example; because they clearly had different mothers.

And if you have any doubt as to what the meaning of those verses in Romans 9 are; the following verses (in the same passage) are pretty clear.

15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

So, stick with what the Scripture actually says, instead of claiming a passage's meaning is ambiguous based on the use of some "literary device".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
And this is your error. God CHOOSES saved people for service. He does not choose people for salvation.<<<<<<<You cannot and will not site one verse that says He chooses some for salvation or damnation.

We are eternally secure/ forever saved the MOMENT we believe/trust in Him. Acts 16:31,John 3:16.

THEN we are chosen for service.John 15:16......Chose us for SERVICE. Not salvation. Salvation is a FREE gift the moment we believe.

Site ONE verse that specifically states we are chosen for salvation or damnation. You can't.
Good point. In particular the damnation part of Calvin's Double Predestination concept is disturbing. In fact so disturbing that many Calvinists claim that Calvin didn't believe it. But to quote John Calvin:

John Calvin on Double Predestination
Institutes of the Christian Religion Chapter 21.
Of the eternal election, by which god has predestined some to salvation, and others to destruction.
(title is calvin's)

"All are not created on equal terms, but some are preordained to eternal life, others to eternal damnation"

"The predestination by which God adopts some to the hope of life, and adjudges others to eternal death, no man who would be thought pious ventures simply to deny; but it is greatly caviled at, especially by those who make prescience its cause."

The obvious problem with the damnation part is that God would be condemning innocent people. That is, prior to being born what crime did they commit? And God does so, according to Calvin, not based upon his foreknowledge of crimes they would commit in the future.

That's pretty much the definition of injustice. That's why, for example, Lutherans, who though being of a Reformed Theology, discard the idea of double predestination. But as I pointed out, Calvinists ignore the logical inconsistencies between Calvinism and what the Bible says.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You'd be mistaken on that point. Not only have a spent years talking with Calvinists, I've even had whole threads on these forums discussion the matter, and I've read both Augustine and Calvin. So your "guess" was wrong.

Nothing that you stated here "clears up" the logically inconsistency between the tenets of Calvinism and what Calvinists say.
Yes it does. Just because you’ve been shown to be wrong, and won’t admit it, doesn’t mean that it’s not been cleared up.

Obviously, you are invited to give a clearer rebuttal than “uh-uh”. But that’s up to you. My point was to show how your understanding is incorrect.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Yes it does. Just because you’ve been shown to be wrong, and won’t admit it, doesn’t mean that it’s not been cleared up.

Obviously, you are invited to give a clearer rebuttal than “uh-uh”. But that’s up to you. My point was to show how your understanding is incorrect.
You're argument is without substance, sort of a "raise a flag and see if someone salutes it" type of argument.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You're argument is without substance, sort of a "raise a flag and see if someone salutes it" type of argument.
So you’re sticking with the “uh-uh” rebuttal.

Fair enough.

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The problem is we can't obey the command (to "believe") because we are dead in trespass and sin. In order for us to believe, God has to make us alive. ... Jesus Christ was the only one post fall who had a free will.

Erm, there are many passages OT and NT dealing with free-will, i.e. to choose to believe or not; to pursue God, or not; to keep God's commandments, or not. - No one is referring to free-will in a self-salvific sense (that you're implying) a superhuman free-will (for lack of a better term) with the abilities of Adam or Christ. Not at all.

About your objection, here's the problem:

"Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him" (Rom 6:3-8)

To be clear, for one to say "We can't obey a command..." is the very bane of human existence. It would be a faux-excuse, a defeatist excuse, on the lower scale and a devilish lie, at the upper scale, like that of the one the Serpent told Eve. In either case, such a mentality would be that of a fallen man, still falling to hell, not a risen man, rising to Christ heaven.

The proof:
  • "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Phil. 4:13)
  • "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." (Mt 6:33)
  • "If ye love me, keep my commandments." (Jn. 14:15)
  • "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him..." (Jn. 14:21)
  • "And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments." (1 Jn. 2:3)

The Lord said:

"Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. ... Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do. ... If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever. Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." (John 14:1-2, 12, 14-17)

IF one believes in the Lord, he would not have spiritual anxiety, he would believe in God, believe in the Son, do works of the Son, ask things of God, keep all the commandments, and receive the Holy Spirit; now or in future. - Time will tell.

Someone is predestine because of election and that happened before the creation was even commenced. They don't become elect because they responded to the call. They responded to the call because they are elect. And because God's grace was bestowed upon them in eternity past, is why they repent and believe.

While I agree with this statement, I would caution to anyone reading that an overemphasis on one's 'election' is an unhealthy pre-occupation. Pondering too much on the domain of God (which is what election is, a divine right of God's, not man's) can turn someone into a dogmatic elitist, equating himself to God, surpassing God even.

I would argue that Calvin and the majority of Calvinists have a tendency to do so. It's well documented throughout Presbyterian history, and I would argue in Calvin's writings, and by assessment of his peers in other cities also.

A more healthy and godly mindset would be to focus on the domain of self (and community), by meditating on Scriptural commandments themselves...

And I would posit that this (cognitive and conscious process) begins for the individual at belief... looking upwards to the things of God... not at the world, or the failings of man, who cannot save oneself.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is of your own opinion that in order to prove He's loving God needs to save everyone. And it is of Jesus's own saying that He will lose nothing.

So.... since we know not everyone is redeemed; by your own belief system, both God is unloving and Jesus is a liar.

If you go with "Jesus is not a liar"; than you have to admit something is wrong with your notion that God can not be loving because He does not save everyone. Remember though, if you want to argue "what is fair"; "fair" would mean everyone ends up in the lake of fire because all are guilty of sin.
I am not the one with the problem here:

Do you believe God is omnibenevolent, the epitome of Love, Love so great it is beyond imagination, and/or at least greater than any Love man could have?

Do you believe while Christ was on earth, He showed Love for everyone if not who did He not Love?

Do you believe we are to Love everyone?

I see and believe “yes” to all these questions, so the question is: “How can some people wind up in hell?”

Which your answer is: “Because God does not Love everyone”, but that contradicts what we know about God/Christ.

You support this by saying: “God/Christ only lovingly atoned for some people.” Which would also contradict God’s Love. So, “why did atonement not take place for everyone”, since I also believe the atonement process was not completed for some?

You are making the problem out to be with: “God’s limited Love”, while God’s Love is not limited.

I see the problem being with: “the refusers of God’s Love”.

People have a really hard time freely accepting pure sacrificial charity (Godly type Love). If they reach the point of never being willing to accept pure charity, than they are hell bound and take on a lesser objective.

It is totally fair of God to provide all mature adults with the limited autonomous free will to chose to accept or reject His charity in the form of forgiveness, so they can become like God Himself in that they have Godly type Love (…he that is forgiven much Loves much…). God is giving all mature adults the only way possible for us to become like He is. God cannot force His Love on us like a shotgun wedding with Him holding the shotgun nor can God make the Love instinctive to humans, since that would make it robotic.

God sends these refusers of His Love to hell, not because He Loves them (which He does) or to help them, but for God’s Love of others, who still can choose and need to realize hell awaits them, if they do not accept God’s grace/charity/Love/mercy/Forgiveness soon. It can be a motivator for those who come to their senses and see where they are headed (hell, like the prodigal son starving to death in a pigsty was where he was headed).

It is fair of God to accept all those and only those who accept His charity as charity, for heaven has only Godly type Love (charity) in it, so those who have shown they do not like or want charity will not be happy there. (God’s not going to force them to go.)
God just can't pretend sin is not there. It HAS to be atoned for. If God could just ignore it and just pardon them without their needing to be atoned for, there'd be no need for the crucifixion.
We can come back to that lets address the other first.

This is not what the Scripture says though. Romans 9:11 is very clear, "before they'd done good or evil that the purpose of God according to election might stand; not of works but of Him (God) who calls."

Now you try to make the argument that Romans 9 is some form of literary device that Paul is using illustrating the contrast between Jew and Gentile. Except.... Jacob and Esau had the same mother and father. So, therefore it was not of genetic heritage that one was elect and the other wasn't.

(Which is the argument the Jews make even to this day; that they are "God's chosen people" because they are descendants of Abraham. (We won't get into the technicality that most modern Jews aren't even genetically Semitic; that's a different issue, linked to the fact that Jesus said the disobedient of the nation would be destroyed and "Israel" the earthly entity would actually cease to exist.) Yet that is indeed the argument made; that because of some ancestor in the distant past, God sees me more favorably than He sees you.)

Romans 9:10-13 illustrate this truth specifically that election is of God's own prerogative because there is no doubt that Jacob and Esau came from the same parents. In order to have twins, they have to be conceived at the same time; so it's not like one could even argue they had different fathers (which would account for why one was favored and the other was not).

No, as far as actual medical science has been able to determine; it's not even possible they would have had different fathers. Some claim based on alleged "outcomes" of paternity suits that it is possible for fraternal twins to have different fathers. That concept has been around since ancient times and twin pregnancies was often the grounds for accusing a woman of adultery in the past.

Yet medical research papers cite that the "research" in all these paternity cases is dubious at best. At least in situations where conception has not occurred on account of human intervention with the use of fertility treatment methods. There are cases where medical intervention has conceived fraternal twins with different fathers because of mistakes of donor mixups at the fertilization state, or implanting the wrong embryo.

As far as natural conception goes though; that possibility becomes far more remote, seeing how the window of opportunity for conception is only actually about 24 hours at the point the egg is released from the ovary. Sperm are only viable inside a female body for about 3 days; which if they are already present at the time the egg emerges from the ovary, there is a good chance fertilization will occur.

Medical science has also discovered that in cases of sperm present from multiple sources; the sperm that was "there first" will actually attack and kill the other sperm. And seeing how changes that take place within the female body occurs within 24 hours after conception, prevent the release of additional eggs, in order for fraternal twins to be conceived, both eggs have been released within that 24 hour window. So though the theoretical possibility of fraternal twins having different fathers is plausible; unless one is looking at a mother who's actually had multiple partners within that 24 hour window (for example - a prostitute), the probability is pretty remote.

So getting back to Romans 9; Paul uses the example of Jacob and Esau to prove the point that the determining factor of who is elect solely resides within God's prerogative. If that was not the force of the point he was making; he would have used Issac and Ishmael as his example; because they clearly had different mothers.

And if you have any doubt as to what the meaning of those verses in Romans 9 are; the following verses (in the same passage) are pretty clear.

15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

So, stick with what the Scripture actually says, instead of claiming a passage's meaning is ambiguous based on the use of some "literary device".
Esau and his descendants will be and were considered Gentiles. The promises for the Jews went with Isaac and Jacob.

The promises went to Abraham with nothing said about who the mother must be.

So, how would you explain to those Gentile Christians in Rome how God was just (fair) in setting up the Jews with a strong true religious background by answering the diatribe question:

14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust?

Paul points out in Ro. 9-11 that even though the Jews seemed to be privileged, it is just as hard for them to accept salvation as it is for the Gentiles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Jacob’s sons wanted to kill their younger brother for just telling a silly dream and being Loved by their father

Esau had a much better reason for wanting to kill his brother

That would be a rather twisted and troubling way to justify murder.

The fundamental misunderstanding here is similar to other's comments above, devoid of any notion of commandment-keeping, remembering that: 'Thou shalt not kill' and 'Thou shalt not covet'...

Their stories are extensions of Cain and Abels': "Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground." (Gen. 4:2)

The problem with Cain, Esau, and Joseph's older brothers, is their murderous intent and covet in their heart... Something inside boiled up, and overflowed into their speech and actions (as someone above rightly commented about). - Something innately wrong with man manifested itself; something that innately tainted their actions (reinforcing my rebuttal to @The Righterzpen that man indeed has free-will),

You see, Cain was rejected by God for a reason, a reason directly related to his bad behaviour (unwillingness to do well + covet + murder):

"But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell. And the Lord said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him. And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him." (Gen 4:5-8)

Cain, and those like him, are of the Devil...

"Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous." (1 Jn. 3:12)

"By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous..." (Heb. 11:4)

The same applies to all today, whether elect or un-elect. While God has a general love and grace 'for the wicked and good', every man is tested like Cain and Abel, like Joseph and his brothers, like Jacob and Esau...

One must exercise free-will and do the will of God, because, "By works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (Js. 2:24)

Blessings :)

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That would be a rather twisted and troubling way to justify murder.

The fundamental misunderstanding here is similar to other's comments above, devoid of any notion of commandment-keeping, remembering that: 'Thou shalt not kill' and 'Thou shalt not covet'...

Their stories are extensions of Cain and Abels': "Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground." (Gen. 4:2)

The problem with Cain, Esau, and Joseph's older brothers, is their murderous intent and covet in their heart... Something inside boiled up, and overflowed into their speech and actions (as someone above rightly commented about). - Something innately wrong with man manifested itself; something that innately tainted their actions (reinforcing my rebuttal to @The Righterzpen that man indeed has free-will),

You see, Cain was rejected by God for a reason, a reason directly related to his bad behaviour (unwillingness to do well + covet + murder):

"But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell. And the Lord said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him. And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him." (Gen 4:5-8)

Cain, and those like him, are of the Devil...

"Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous." (1 Jn. 3:12)

"By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous..." (Heb. 11:4)

The same applies to all today, whether elect or un-elect. While God has a general love and grace 'for the wicked and good', every man is tested like Cain and Abel, like Joseph and his brothers, like Jacob and Esau...

One must exercise free-will and do the will of God, because, "By works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (Js. 2:24)

Blessings :)
Just because it is a better reason does not mean he was justified in doing it. Jacob was an ongoing thorn in Esau's flesh seemingly out to get him, while Joseph took nothing from his brothers. Esau does not seem "jealous" of Jacob, in-fact Isaac seems to have like Esau more. Jacob might have been jealous of Esau the first born.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Calvin actually uses this distinction and premise for the murder of Servetus and others; completely going against Scripture because of an ideological difference, driven by Calvin rage being personally slighted and offended by Servetus criticisms (also ideological). This two class system is very important. Even Christ himself didn't do this. He didn't Lord himself over others. No, instead he mingled with the marginalised, and treated his disciples more or less as equals, as "friends" (1 Jn. 15:13), "laying his life down for his friends" not killing them.

While Calvinism has tiers of religious hypocrisy,

The Lord commands us to, 'Love our neighbour as ourselves'... To be be like the Good Samaritan, who went above and beyond for his neighbour... To love and pray for your enemies... To lay ones life down for others... To carry each other's burdens... etc, etc, etc, thereby mimicking God and pleasing him.
Yeh, the Murder of Servetus puts Calvin and his way of thinking into perspective.

• Agree
Reactions: philadelphos
Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Yeh, the Murder of Servetus puts Calvin and his way of thinking into perspective.

Agreed. - I would not want to be his friend, or be in the same church as him. And I don't think he belonged in his generation either. - Have you read about Calvin's peers and contemporaries who disagreed with him ?

Quote: "In fact in his book "CALVIN AND HIS ENEMIES" Rev. Thomas Smyth D.D admits that Servetus was not really condemned because of his doctrine, but because of the manner in which he maintained them. Meaning that he was not a man-pleaser, but spoke his opinion without respect of persons, speaking even in a condescending and common manner (much as Jesus did). In this way he offended the religious elite (much as Jesus had) and was condemned to death not because of his doctrine, but because he humiliated the proud. Yet many Calvinists simply place the blame on Servetus. “If ever a poor fanatic thrust himself into the fire,” says J. T. Coleridge, “it was Michael Servetus.” While they strive to hold John Calvin as the victim of circumstance." (BCBSR, The Murder of Michael Servetus)

Pharisaic and sadducidic elitism, would be putting it lightly. Calvinism in practice and reality is sycophancy, a glib and smug club of self-chosen determinists, proud in their own conceits.

Calvin was no victim of circumstance. - If Christ was at Calvin's Geneva, he'd have been treated the same way. - While Luther's theology is awful, he like Christ was a hospitable man, holding regular gatherings at his house, with food and beer, and he talked to his fellows man to man. If he were alive today I'd definitely visit him. I'd love to. But not Calvin, no way !

"Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?" (Mt. 7:16)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
When you can’t actually address the argument, use this.

8C13F7DC-CEAD-4C1E-8F9D-A7D535B70E2B.jpeg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Agreed. - I would not want to be his friend, or be in the same church as him. And I don't think he belonged in his generation either. - Have you read about Calvin's peers and contemporaries who disagreed with him ?

Quote: "In fact in his book "CALVIN AND HIS ENEMIES" Rev. Thomas Smyth D.D admits that Servetus was not really condemned because of his doctrine, but because of the manner in which he maintained them. Meaning that he was not a man-pleaser, but spoke his opinion without respect of persons, speaking even in a condescending and common manner (much as Jesus did). In this way he offended the religious elite (much as Jesus had) and was condemned to death not because of his doctrine, but because he humiliated the proud. Yet many Calvinists simply place the blame on Servetus. “If ever a poor fanatic thrust himself into the fire,” says J. T. Coleridge, “it was Michael Servetus.” While they strive to hold John Calvin as the victim of circumstance." (BCBSR, The Murder of Michael Servetus)

Pharisaic and sadducidic elitism, would be putting it lightly. Calvinism in practice and reality is sycophancy, a glib and smug club of self-chosen determinists, proud in their own conceits.

Calvin was no victim of circumstance. - If Christ was at Calvin's Geneva, he'd have been treated the same way. - While Luther's theology is awful, he like Christ was a hospitable man, holding regular gatherings at his house, with food and beer, and he talked to his fellows man to man. If he were alive today I'd definitely visit him. I'd love to. But not Calvin, no way !
Yep, and by the way I am BCBSR. Some of that you got from my article on the Murder of Servetus. I also have an article on Calvin's style of arguing, which also supports your view.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I’ll post this so that maybe we can discuss theology.

Salvation is many-faceted. Election is only part of it. We are elected to salvation. Election isn’t salvation. There’s also regeneration (born again; new heart). And there’s justification (the result of belief). God ordains the means as well as the ends

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
@Hammster Theo-logy is the study and knowledge of God. - What you've posted is a dogmatic recital of pretentious Reformed cliches, not a discussion.

Are you trying to change the subject ?
- You made a sly accusation earlier, to which a rebuttal with supporting evidence has been laid out above. Please kindly reply, or retract your words.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
@Hammster Theo-logy is the study and knowledge of God. - What you've posted is a dogmatic recital of pretentious Reformed cliches, not a discussion.

Are you trying to change the subject ?
- You made a sly accusation earlier, to which a rebuttal with supporting evidence has been laid out above. Please kindly reply, or retract your words.
You didn’t address my post, or give a rebuttal.

Upvote 0