South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Why not? How can we be held responsible for something that we cannot possibly do?

Because you born and conceived in sin, and are already justly deserving of God's wrath, punishment, and condemnation...we all are.

God is sovereign

If God chooses to do something, it is always just, right, and fair. God justice, righteousness, and holiness are just as much a part of his nature as his love goodness, and mercy.

God's ways are not our ways, his thoughts are not our thoughts.

The saved (elect) had their names written in the book of life before the foundation of the world

God owes us nothing, but because he is loving, and merciful, by his grace he choose to save some by bringing them to faith in Christ Jesus.

All of humanity is dead in their trespasses, and cannot make a "decision to accept Christ" and thus be saved. Salvation is 100% God's work, our roll is passive

God, by his grace chose to be merciful to some, others he passed by and they receive justlce, but no one receives injustice.

Since it is beyond our ability to make a decision for salvation, If God had not chosen to save some then Christ died on the cross for nothing.

God's sovereign choice is unconditional, there was nothing special about any of the elect...Guilty one and all.

Nor did God look into the future, and see those who would accept him, and elected them based on his foreknowledge.

Nor was his sovereign choice a military type muster where every third person was chosen.

God by his own council, as creator of all things seen, and unseen made his sovereign choice, we are not privy as to why one, and not the other.

It's not good to dwell on God's eternal election, we are told to just have faith, which is also a gift from God.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you're saying that if you don't slander God, you do deserve redemption?

I'd need redemption all the more if I persistently slandered God, especially if I thought I was doing Him a favour.

I don't deserve redemption because I'm a sinner and the penalty of my sin needs a substitute.

So if I killed your brother and my friend did the jail time in my place, justice is served? I can party on?

Your convictions of whether limited atonement, penal substitution, predestination and damnation really honor God depend on whether or not you believe God's wrath is real!

Depends what you believe God's wrath is all about. If it's about torturing people forever and ever for rejecting Him, then no, that's an absolute disgrace, a satanic theology.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I'd need redemption all the more if I persistently slandered God, especially if I thought I was doing Him a favour.

So what do you define as "slandering God"?

So if I killed your brother and my friend did the jail time in my place, justice is served? I can party on?

By technicality of law: "yes".

If the cross was not about a sin substitute than what was the point?

Depends what you believe God's wrath is all about. If it's about torturing people forever and ever for rejecting Him, then no, that's an absolute disgrace, a satanic theology.

The lake of fire is where people who've sinned who are not atoned for are sent to pay for their own sin. And yes, the lake of fire is eternal.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Oh, the difficulty of biting one's tongue... Lol.. Just think a bit about what you just wrote here.

I have reported 4 of your posts to the admins for continuous contentious arguing against a doctrine in a faith community forum. And for your doing so even after having been warned!

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
God owes us nothing, but because he is loving, and merciful, by his grace he choose to save some by bringing them to faith in Christ Jesus.

This one has been stuck in my brain a lot lately. Admittedly having trouble wrapping my head around it. God's demonstration of a complete love that is beyond our willingness, or even our desire to obey. God shouldn't care about any of us; but He does and I don't "get it". (I intellectually understand it; but I don't "get it".)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.