• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Calvinism... Discussion of Doctrine?

Discussion in 'Non-denominational' started by Silver Surfer, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnmomof7

rnmomof7 Legend

+707
    Calvinist
    Private
    US-Libertarian

I was not making it a Protestant/Catholic issue. You see Calvinists believe that Arminians are not protestants . So I was actually addressing that

2. nyj

nyj Goodbye, my puppy

+1,249
    Catholic
    Gotcha, thanks for the clarification, I was unaware of that.

3. Gabriel

Gabriel I Once Was Lost, But Now Am Found

+100
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I received a report concerning this forum. IMO the reporter is being more offensive than the reportee. And that is coming from a Reformed Protestant Moderator.

This is just ridiculous. The fighting and whining that goes on on this message board makes me sick. Some of you (Prots. specifically) just aren't happy unless you are attacking a Catholic.

I potsed this in the staff forums. I think I'll share it:

The problem that I see with CF is Catholic bashing by Protestants and Protestants whining when they are called on the rule breaking. Sorry, but that's the way I see it. And please forgive me brothers and sisters, as a Reformed believer I take issue with much of Catholic doctrine as well as many Protestant denoms doctrine. However, I agree on this; We all meet, by His grace, at the foot of the cross and become family. And I will not tolerate attacks on ppl in the forums I have leadership over. I have suspended Catholics and Protestants alike for it and I will continue. I am biased in my moderating. Biased against trolls. There are more warnings and editing of Protestant posts because Protestants are breaking the rules more. That's not CF's fault. It's called personal responsibility. People need to learn it.

4. rnmomof7

rnmomof7 Legend

+707
    Calvinist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    To All,

I think we all need to take a deep breath and look at this objectively . I sometimes have a hard time figuring out what forum i am on and end up disputing a point on a forum I should not. One one occasion a monitor just explained the rules and I left . I felt bad that I had gone where I should not.

We are all sinful humans and boy do we evidence that sometimes.

There are other solutions. Perhaps this thread could be moved to allow for a debate. That would seem a peace solution (as funny as that sounds)

5. nyj

nyj Goodbye, my puppy

+1,249
    Catholic
    Well, if it will help ease the tension (and even if it won't), I will gladly apologize. It was not my intention to pick a fight, nor was it my intention to belittle my non-Catholic brothers and sisters in Christ. If my actions seemed overtly hostile and demeaning, I'm sorry, it was not my intention.

PS: For the record, I'm not saying this because I'm afraid Erwin or someone else is going to get on my case. I'm aware of what I said, and if I stepped over the line and I'm in the wrong, I have no problem accepting full responsibility for my actions.

6. rnmomof7

rnmomof7 Legend

+707
    Calvinist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Thats OK . As you can imagine that does not make most Arminians happy:>)

But we take the term "protestants " to be descriptive of the churches that came directly from the reformation.

The Arminians were actually in a way protesting the reformers not the Catholic church.

We would just consider them in the broad description of Christian brothers.

7. Knight

Knight Knight of the Cross

+112
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    In a vain attempt to get this discussion back on the original topic:

I believe that this was originally intended to discuss the merits of calvinism.

What are your views on either side of this issue? Please back up your claims with scripture.

The accusation has been made that calvinism is not Biblical. Where is the evedince to support this claim?

(This can be done without degenerating into a Protestant-Catholic debate. Let's be adults here.)

8. Benedicta00

Benedicta00 Well-Known Member

+816
    Catholic
    Private
    Yes I have read it an I can not find the place where non Catholics, whether they be non Christian or Protestant are ****** to hell.

9. Benedicta00

Benedicta00 Well-Known Member

+816
    Catholic
    Private
    NYJ:

You did not step over the line. If Protestants do not want us in here then they should not misrepresent our faith.

My feeling is that some, of course not all but some feel that we do not belong on the forum period or that we should just stay in the Catholic section. I don't care either way, but I will defend a myth or lie or a slanderous remark whenever and where ever I see it.

10. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+18,394
    Christian
    Married
    Well in the spirit of reconciliation I'll jump in here and say: The Silver Surfer wasn't really that whiney!
    tulc(who felt bad about attacking a comicbook character like that)

11. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

+2
    SDA
    Single
    Ah, but with God ...all things are possible ?

Does God have the power to change men's lives into something better than what they first began as ?

12. Knight

+112
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Would you care to explain what is meant by this?

13. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

+2
    SDA
    Single
    I merely am giving the 3 angels messages of Revelation 14:6-12.
    Calling people out of Babylon (false teaching) is just one of the several messages contained in Rev. 14.

One of the tenets of Calvinism is the false concept of eternally burning hell-fire, wherein people are totured for all eternity.
    This is a Satanic doctrine and must be exposed, as it is a false idea concerning the love of God.

14. Knight

+112
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Not to turn this into a debate about end times, but.......

What do you believe happens to non-Christians when they die?

15. CCWoody

CCWoody Voted best Semper Reformada signature ~ 2007

+248
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Again, we have a direct Ad Hominem against me by the Catholics on this board. I clearly identified my source cite so that all interested partys could go and look at the context. If that makes me look less than honest, so be it.

Instead of addressing my specific complaint here, the Catholics have:
    1. Claimed that I have my definition of anathema wrong.
    2. Resorted to personal attacks against my person.

FWIW, if anyone cares for an honest discussion about my complaint, I will again state it in brief:

The Council of Trent, reaffirmed by V2 states that due to my doctrine, I am anathema. The exact word used is if ANYONE believes these things let him be anathema, acursed. Several Catholics have maintained that this does not apply to Protestants today. I have asked for an official declaration to that fact, but have been met instead with various sidestepping arguments. In my attempts to address these and redirect the discussion back to the original point of contention, I have now multiple times been subject to Ad Hominem attacks.

Personally, I could care less. The thoughtful readers will be able to sort these things out and figure out what is really going on here.

Your friendly neighborhood Cordial Calvinist
    Woody.

16. CCWoody

+248
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    This is bad form at best. I never made any such claim. In fact, I specifically made references which can only be characterized as narrowing my comments to one specific example, which you specifically note in your reply (of which I only cite the relevant part).

Please make an attempt to honestly reflect what I say.

I will continue to wait for your official declaration that the anyone who denies the "Real Presence" in the Eucharist really doesn't mean anyone, but only a specific group of people.

Woody.

17. Miss Shelby

Miss Shelby Legend

+3,034
    Catholic
    Private
    What I said is that you appear less than honest since you conveniently decided not to include the ENTIRE quote from the CE in your post? You cite it, but you give no link making it harder for people to check it out themselves...and my guess is that many people will just read what you wrote INSTEAD of going straight to the source.

Personally, I could care less as well. The entirety of quote totally changes the perspective and the meaning, AND Catholics have told you that what was said at Trent does not apply to Protestants who have been protestants all of their lives, but to the original Reformers who broke away from the Church. If that isn't enough... so be it.

Michelle

18. rnmomof7

rnmomof7 Legend

+707
    Calvinist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    So does this mean that you do not believe in Hell/and or eternal damnation?

Jesus spoke more of hell than heaven

Mar 9:43**
    And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mar 9:44**
    Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Mar 9:45**
    And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mar 9:46**

Mar 9:47**
    And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

Mar 9:48**

Mar 9:49**
    For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.

Sounds like eternal damnation to me

19. CCWoody

+248
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    No, this is one of the Tenets of Christendom everywhere. This is not a Calvinist invention of the last 500 years as you seem to suggest.

So, as you seem to be exposing yourself as something other than a Christian, I will again ask that you provide all of us with your denomination and a statement of your beliefs.

Woody.

20. CCWoody

+248
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    No, to be honest it isn't enough. The Catholic church claims for itself the ability to bind and loose upon heaven and earth. This is not individual Catholics. Unless you can provide official documentation that anyone really doesn't mean anyone I see no reason to believe that your opinion is anything other than your own personal opinion.

Woody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.