Calvary Chapel's stance on born again Christians sinning?

Eric Myers

Jan 16, 2022
Louisville
✟7,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
This morning I attended my first Calvary Chapel service.
The sermon was preached from 1 Peter, and the pastor rather firmly seemed to be saying that true born again Christians never sin. They stop sinning when they get born again.

My own understanding of scripture on this issue is that born again Christians sin less as they mature in the Lord but will never have 100% victory (stop sinning) on this side of heaven.

Not at all seeking to argue the point but rather to learn what the CC stance is on this so I can see if that church is a good fit. I had to leave before the service was over completely so didn't get a chance to chat with the pastor about it and ask. I have emailed him to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm new to this site and had thought it was run by Calvary Chapel. Now thinking that may not be correct. I was looking for an answer from them regarding their stance.

There are a large number of Calvary Chapel members, so I am sure one of them will reply. This is an ecumenical forum with members from nearly every denomination.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Romans 12:2…be transformed…
Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,264,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This is a snippet taken from calvarychapel.com titled 5 Practical ways to battle sin.

{Christians are free from sin’s rule, but not from its attempts to regain control. The battle that exists inside all of us, between sin and the new nature, will continue until we get to Heaven. This fact, however, is not a bleak one. The Bible tells us that Jesus rendered sin powerless at the cross. Being in Christ, we are not obligated to submit to sin’s dictates and desires. We can, by the Holy Spirit, make the right choices and take the proper actions to keep sin from regaining control of our thoughts, actions, and words. Here are five practical ways we can do this:}…

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm new to this site and had thought it was run by Calvary Chapel. Now thinking that may not be correct. I was looking for an answer from them regarding their stance.
This forum is for discussions of whatever denomination the writer of the original post chooses to focus on. However, there is a forum specifically for Calvary Chapel called (as I remember) Calvary Chapel Fellowship. Click on "Forums" and then look under Christian Congregations.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟171,138.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The sermon was preached from 1 Peter, and the pastor rather firmly seemed to be saying that true born again Christians never sin. They stop sinning when they get born again.

My own understanding of scripture on this issue is that born again Christians sin less as they mature in the Lord but will never have 100% victory (stop sinning) on this side of heaven.

Not at all seeking to argue the point but rather to learn what the CC stance is on this so I can see if that church is a good fit. I had to leave before the service was over completely so didn't get a chance to chat with the pastor about it and ask. I have emailed him to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Eric
I have listened to Mike Winger a lot recently (biblethinker.org) and he seems to be strictly biblical in this regard. In fact I wouldn't know that he grew up in the Calvary Chapel if I didn't look it up. He does teach that our life fundamentally changes after we are born-again (like Paul says) and that Jesus' death enables us to live according to God's will (because we got God's spirit) but that we still struggle and sometimes stumble.
Nowhere the idea of being "100% perfect".

Upvote 0

Eric Myers

Jan 16, 2022
Louisville
✟7,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi and thanks for this... no offense but something you said "seemed to be saying". Then its hard to truly know since we never got to hear this.

I'll re-phrase to remove your objection or any confusion.

I'm asking if it is a Calvary Chapel doctrinal stance that born again Christians do not sin (as in zero, absolutely none) after they are born again. I have met an evangelical who believed that once so I know they exist. I don't think he was Calvary Chapel. Regardless I'm asking about the Calvary Chapel stance on this.

• Useful
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Eric Myers

Jan 16, 2022
Louisville
✟7,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I have listened to Mike Winger a lot recently (biblethinker.org) and he seems to be strictly biblical in this regard. In fact I wouldn't know that he grew up in the Calvary Chapel if I didn't look it up. He does teach that our life fundamentally changes after we are born-again (like Paul says) and that Jesus' death enables us to live according to God's will (because we got God's spirit) but that we still struggle and sometimes stumble.
Nowhere the idea of being "100% perfect".

I discovered him just about a week ago and listening to his podcasts / YouTube videos now. Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thanks in advance.

Eric
seems that the pastor just eliminated his own job.

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟541,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thanks in advance.

Eric
In many denominations/associations..
- There are different 'views/perspectives/stance'..
- in churches (same denomination/association).
---
My advice is..to read/research about Calvary Chapel.
- Starting..online articles.
- Interesting history..
---
I was involved in several churches.
- Denominational & Non Denominational ( Protestant ).
During my spiritual journey.. from 1970's.

Upvote 0