Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Background, 30 years ago I attended a CC for 6 years. The first 4 were awesome then that pastor left and we got a new one. He was a young guy straight from CC Costa Mesa where he was on staff. As he took over I came to find out that what I had experienced the first 4 years was not as much the typical CC experience.

Under the old pastor we had an elder-led church. Under the new we had a pastor-led church. Both featured expository teaching, verse-by-verse. The old pastor taught from the Scriptures. The new seemed to largely regurgitate Chuck Smith (not saying that is bad). The old pastor lived out lifestyle evangelism. The new was very much into altar calls. Under the new we got a lot of teaching about the End Times, prophecy, signs of the times, one world government, etc.

After awhile I felt that the End Times focus was a bit much. Yes we need to discern the signs of the times but it does not change our calling which is to make disciples. If a one world government is coming it does not change our mission. We all know the Lord could come at any minute or could call us home at any minute. Speculating on how close the Tribulation is only has limited value.

I became an elder under the new pastor but did not feel my role was the Biblical role of an elder. Then I found I could not teach the Calvinist understanding of Scripture (which I believe is Scriptural). Of course it was fine that the pastor insisted I teach according to the church's doctrine and I respected that position. Calvinism is not essential doctrine but I longed to be able to teach it so I left. I have stayed with non-denominational churches and churches that teach expositorially and verse-by-verse. I don't focus on Calvinism. Just on the Bible.

I share all this because I recently met a single woman (I'm single) who is a long-time CC attendee and involved in the CC radio ministry. Talking to her has brought back old memories of my years at CC. Since I left I have not had the same focus on the End Times and prophesy beyond what the book we are going through has. She goes on and on though about those things. I just don't know that I share her focus on those things.

I am not judging CC's or putting them down. I wonder though how those of you who currently go there feel about the focus on those things. I have found good worship and great teaching outside of CC but admit verse-by-verse is hard to find.

Solomon Smith

Sep 25, 2018
Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I agree. Calvary Chapel’s focus on end times speculation is quite a distraction from the things that really matter. I attended Calvary for 10 years and now I go to a Lutheran Church. We go through books of the Bible in Sunday School so it is similar to Calvary in that aspect. For our main service we have 3 scripture readings OT, Gospel, & Epistle. So the Word is never lacking. But Lutherans aren’t weird about the end times so I really like it for that aspect.

Upvote 0

KevinC1129

Simul justus et peccator
Jan 24, 2016
North Texas
✟490,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The CC I attended didn't have an overemphasis on the end times. He just taught the Scripture.

Neither does mine; simply book-by-book, verse-by-verse teaching.
If something comes up in Scripture, it's taught; there is no over emphasis on any doctrine. The only thing emphasized every time the door is open is the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Deborah Henson

Jul 4, 2019
Albuquerque
✟7,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Background, 30 years ago I attended a CC for 6 years. The first 4 were awesome then that pastor left and we got a new one. He was a young guy straight from CC Costa Mesa where he was on staff. As he took over I came to find out that what I had experienced the first 4 years was not as much the typical CC experience.

Under the old pastor we had an elder-led church. Under the new we had a pastor-led church. Both featured expository teaching, verse-by-verse. The old pastor taught from the Scriptures. The new seemed to largely regurgitate Chuck Smith (not saying that is bad). The old pastor lived out lifestyle evangelism. The new was very much into altar calls. Under the new we got a lot of teaching about the End Times, prophecy, signs of the times, one world government, etc.

After awhile I felt that the End Times focus was a bit much. Yes we need to discern the signs of the times but it does not change our calling which is to make disciples. If a one world government is coming it does not change our mission. We all know the Lord could come at any minute or could call us home at any minute. Speculating on how close the Tribulation is only has limited value.

I became an elder under the new pastor but did not feel my role was the Biblical role of an elder. Then I found I could not teach the Calvinist understanding of Scripture (which I believe is Scriptural). Of course it was fine that the pastor insisted I teach according to the church's doctrine and I respected that position. Calvinism is not essential doctrine but I longed to be able to teach it so I left. I have stayed with non-denominational churches and churches that teach expositorially and verse-by-verse. I don't focus on Calvinism. Just on the Bible.

I share all this because I recently met a single woman (I'm single) who is a long-time CC attendee and involved in the CC radio ministry. Talking to her has brought back old memories of my years at CC. Since I left I have not had the same focus on the End Times and prophesy beyond what the book we are going through has. She goes on and on though about those things. I just don't know that I share her focus on those things.

I am not judging CC's or putting them down. I wonder though how those of you who currently go there feel about the focus on those things. I have found good worship and great teaching outside of CC but admit verse-by-verse is hard to find.

Upvote 0

Deborah Henson

Jul 4, 2019
Albuquerque
✟7,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have attended several Calvary Chapels since accepting Christ back in the late 1970’s. I was part of the Jesus movement and attended the original Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa, CA. For me, my experience was good in the beginning. I found Christ, I became a Christian and my life took off in a positive direction. By “positive” I mean I walked away from drugs and a generally sinful lifestyle. Calvary Chapel was a portal that helped to walk with God and to become comfortable and familiar with the Bible. But as time went on — Calvary Chapel was not enough. The thinking and teachings became glaringly sophomoric and incomplete. It also became apparent that within each Calvary Chapel, there is a great deal of “peer pressure” to conform to certain ideals and ideas — but very little encouragement regarding individual thinking or personal devotional time with God. As time went on, I began to wonder why the practice of communion wasn’t emphasized more.

So much depends on the personality of the Pastor of each individual Calvary Chapel. Practices and teachings are not consistent from one Calvary Chapel to another. What is consistent, however, is irreverent attitudes regarding speech, manners, dress that seems to have only gotten worse over the years. What used to be “laid back” is now just an excuse for slovenliness and rudeness. There is also a tendency for the pastors to use the pulpit to preach their political views.

I think for anyone new to Christianity, Calvary Chapel may be a good entry point. But as one matures in Christ, it’s best to move on — otherwise, Calvary Chapel could prove to be a hindrance to one’s spiritual growth.

• Informative
Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0