Calls to 911 From Black Neighborhoods Fell After a Case of Police Violence

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Milwaukee residents were outraged when they learned, about three months after the fact, that a biracial man at a party had been severely beaten by several white off-duty police officers also in attendance. The man, Frank Jude, was left with a broken nose, bruises and severe bleeding in his ears, a result of having pens pushed into them.

The attack, which took place in October 2004 and came to light after an article in The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, prompted protests. In the fallout, nine officers were fired by the Milwaukee Police Department; three were eventually convicted on federal charges of violating Mr. Jude’s civil rights.

It also, according to new research, led to a drop in 911 calls in Milwaukee notifying the police of crimes.
Lack of accountability and violence from law enforcement makes it difficult for residents to trust that a call to 911 will actually help them and not end up with them being beaten, shot or killed.

• Winner
Reactions: tatteredsoul

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We should send all police to Hawaii for a couple years for training on chilling.
This might result in different solutions while they are gone.
Or, you know, maybe the police could just do their job without accidentally killing the people they're working for.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Lack of accountability and violence from law enforcement makes it difficult for residents to trust that a call to 911 will actually help them and not end up with them being beaten, shot or killed.
If they choose not to call police they have that right. In fact, not all crimes, but many crimes the VICTIM actually decides whether they wish to charge the person ( even when police are called). In cases where the state DOES file charges The victim and/or family of the victim may still have a say in which sentence will be received.

Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
People love saying, "Those that dislike cops talk bad about them untIL they need them."

The thing is, most ethnic groups have their own system of protection and trust within their communities. But, there are laws.

Laws that dictate you MUST call the police when you, say, find a man lying in the ground after being shot to death.

Also, black and Latino peoe know if there is a serious issue, even if they can take care of it within the community by law there has to be a report made - or they can be BLAMED or charged for the incident AND other offenses.

So, yes ship the cops off somewhere; they won't be missed. But, the law would also have to change so that when something does haplen, the people aren't obligated to call the "authorities" to file report.

That is the real reason why people say **** the police, but then call them when an incident happens. They don't want to go to prison for a crime someone else does - and the police record is a way to protect them.

The common rhetoric makes people sound like hypocrites, but that is because they are speaking from an ivory tower, wearing rose tinted glassez.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
But police aren't prosecuted for breaking the law, so there's good reason for citizens to expect that they won't bother to.
One of the main problems is that even when police officers are found to be in the wrong, they hardly pay for their transgressions, the city does. I'm starting to think we should give police officers a bonus each year, but that bonus is contingent upon them not brutalizing populace. Another thing to include would be a license to be an police officer, security guard, bouncer, etc. If you are found guilty of brutality or other wrongdoing, you lose your license. So no, you can't run over to another city without your license, nor can you take up some other profession where you may exert unscrupulous methods to attack the public. Instead of making the taxpayers bear the entire burden, the offending officers need to start bearing the burden of their actions.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Wow...so all it took was the media notifying the public about a few bad cops, and suddenly an entire black community has a skewed and negative view of the police? What a groundbreaking study lol...

I wonder what kind of views the police might have of black communities if they experience the worst of those communities firsthand, day in and day out...do you think that might have any relation to all this supposed "racism" we've been hearing so much about? Hmmmm...that's a real head-scratcher...

I wonder if someday we'll see a Harvard study about that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
People love saying, "Those that dislike cops talk bad about them untIL they need them."

The thing is, most ethnic groups have their own system of protection and trust within their communities. But, there are laws.

They do??? I don't know if you're aware of this, but blacks are killing blacks in alarming numbers...so maybe they should reconsider whatever "system of protection" you're referring to.

Laws that dictate you MUST call the police when you, say, find a man lying in the ground after being shot to death.

I've heard of some cities having "good samaritan laws"...but I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to. Is it?

Also, black and Latino peoe know if there is a serious issue, even if they can take care of it within the community by law there has to be a report made - or they can be BLAMED or charged for the incident AND other offenses.

This sounds made up...I'm not aware of any law that could for example, charge someone with theft, if they didn't actually commit the theft or help commit the theft. If you know of a law that does though...I'm interested in reading about it.

So, yes ship the cops off somewhere; they won't be missed. But, the law would also have to change so that when something does haplen, the people aren't obligated to call the "authorities" to file report.

I made a thread about a young black man who thought the same thing. He wanted the police defunded...until he was robbed at gunpoint by a black man right outside his apartment. Once that happened...he was asking for an increased police presence lol.

I can link you to that thread if you like.

That is the real reason why people say **** the police, but then call them when an incident happens. They don't want to go to prison for a crime someone else does - and the police record is a way to protect them.

The common rhetoric makes people sound like hypocrites, but that is because they are speaking from an ivory tower, wearing rose tinted glassez.

Let's not pretend that "**** the police" is some well reasoned, rational, logical political statement based upon an honest assessment of positive and negative consequences of calling the police. It's the mantra of the ignorant, the dumb, and the criminal...nothing more.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
One of the main problems is that even when police officers are found to be in the wrong, they hardly pay for their transgressions, the city does. I'm starting to think we should give police officers a bonus each year, but that bonus is contingent upon them not brutalizing populace. Another thing to include would be a license to be an police officer, security guard, bouncer, etc. If you are found guilty of brutality or other wrongdoing, you lose your license. So no, you can't run over to another city without your license, nor can you take up some other profession where you may exert unscrupulous methods to attack the public. Instead of making the taxpayers bear the entire burden, the offending officers need to start bearing the burden of their actions.

You do realize that a great many of the settlements that the city makes in civil cases against police happen even when the cop was found innocent of any criminal wrongdoing...don't you?

If you would rather the city fight those cases, I'd agree entirely. I think it only encourages unscrupulous lawyers to chase anyone claiming police brutality as if they were free money.

Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
They do??? I don't know if you're aware of this, but blacks are killing blacks in alarming numbers...so maybe they should reconsider whatever "system of protection" you're referring to.

I've heard of some cities having "good samaritan laws"...but I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to. Is it?

This sounds made up...I'm not aware of any law that could for example, charge someone with theft, if they didn't actually commit the theft or help commit the theft. If you know of a law that does though...I'm interested in reading about it.

I made a thread about a young black man who thought the same thing. He wanted the police defunded...until he was robbed at gunpoint by a black man right outside his apartment. Once that happened...he was asking for an increased police presence lol.

I can link you to that thread if you like.

Let's not pretend that "**** the police" is some well reasoned, rational, logical political statement based upon an honest assessment of positive and negative consequences of calling the police. It's the mantra of the ignorant, the dumb, and the criminal...nothing more.

Oh, ok.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Wow...so all it took was the media notifying the public about a few bad cops, and suddenly an entire black community has a skewed and negative view of the police? What a groundbreaking study lol...
Another response emblematic of someone that didn't read. Perhaps you should read the study.

I wonder what kind of views the police might have of black communities if they experience the worst of those communities firsthand, day in and day out...do you think that might have any relation to all this supposed "racism" we've been hearing so much about? Hmmmm...that's a real head-scratcher...

I wonder if someday we'll see a Harvard study about that?
I love how low the bar is set for police officers, like all that training and professionalism doesn't matter. McDonald's employees have better training and attitudes when working with the public than some police officers, and people offer them a lot less respect.

It's truly great that most police officers can do their job without resorting to temper tantrums and crying about hurt feelings. Many people (officers and the public) will look at what happened to Dejuan Yourse and recognize that, as an organization, the police department needs to ensure that horrible officers need to be kept off the streets. You don't keep such people off the streets by not punishing them and suppressing evidence (like incriminating video evidence). The problem is not the individual officer's abuse of power, but the lack of accountability that comes with that abuse. Trying to paint that as equitable to individual citizens doing wrong is ridiculous.

Many incorrectly saying people always react to the initial case, when many times the original case is not protested because there were no witnesses besides the police. The negative response is often because of the cover-up that ensues, as in the case of Laquan McDonald. Laquan McDonald was killed over a year ago and they're just now recommending the officers be fired, not a recommendation that comes from an ongoing investigation, it is a recommendation that only comes after the leaking of suppressed evidence. It's laughable that someone still wants to argue that the problem is still specific people and not organizational.

The police department is a government entity, when an officer puts on the badge, he carries the power of the state, so let's stop the racist lumping of all black people together because the anti-black posters on this forum attempt to argue that citizens are an organization like the police... except for the fact that, you know, they're not.

You made a thread that did not match the reality of the story, then tried to falsely attribute statements and words to the man, so yeah, there's that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
It's funny to see the black-on-black crime myth has somehow made it onto this topic. Remember folks, the actions of other citizens justify police brutality! Because we all know, if citizens are fearful of calling the police, that means they are just as bad as police officers that abuse and violate the rights of citizens! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Another response emblematic of someone that didn't read. Perhaps you should read the study.

If I'm off...explain how.

I love how low the bar is set for police officers, like all that training and professionalism doesn't matter. McDonald's employees have better training and attitudes when working with the public than some police officers, and people offer them a lot less respect.

It's truly great that most police officers can do their job without resorting to temper tantrums and crying about hurt feelings.

Who's talking about temper tantrums and hurt feelings? All I mentioned was negative viewpoints.

Many people (officers and the public) will look at what happened to Dejuan Yourse and recognize that, as an organization, the police department needs to ensure that horrible officers need to be kept off the streets. You don't keep such people off the streets by not punishing them and suppressing evidence (like incriminating video evidence). The problem is not the individual officer's abuse of power, but the lack of accountability that comes with that abuse. Trying to paint that as equitable to individual citizens doing wrong is ridiculous.

Says the person who wants police paying settlements out of pocket. That'll probably get more of them to rat on each other, right?

Many incorrectly saying people always react to the initial case, when many times the original case is not protested because there were no witnesses besides the police. The negative response is often because of the cover-up that ensues, as in the case of Laquan McDonald. Laquan McDonald was killed over a year ago and they're just now recommending the officers be fired, not a recommendation that comes from an ongoing investigation, it is a recommendation that only comes after the leaking of suppressed evidence. It's laughable that someone still wants to argue that the problem is still specific people and not organizational.

Hello Mr Strawman...I was wondering when you'd drop by.

The police department is a government entity, when an officer puts on the badge, he carries the power of the state, so let's stop the racist lumping of all black people together because the anti-black posters on this forum attempt to argue that citizens are an organization like the police... except for the fact that, you know, they're not.

You made a thread that did not match the reality of the story, then tried to falsely attribute statements and words to the man, so yeah, there's that.

Nope...it clearly did. He was a leader of an organization that wants to defund police...then he wanted more police. It's a viewpoint born of ignorance.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's funny to see the black-on-black crime myth has somehow made it onto this topic. Remember folks, the actions of other citizens justify police brutality! Because we all know, if citizens are fearful of calling the police, that means they are just as bad as police officers that abuse and violate the rights of citizens! :thumbsup:

Did someone justify police brutality?

Edit: Also, what's the "black on black crime myth"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

He is Risen 72

Colossians 2:14 The Law is nailed to the Cross!!
Sep 3, 2013
Michigan
✟27,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Remember folks, if you see bars on the windows and doors of the houses and business in black neighborhoods and no bars on doors and windows of the houses and business in white neighborhoods, ask yourself why this is.

Upvote 0