Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello, I have had a strong calling to the ministry for 9 years. For some reason it has never worked out within a Church. I have done more ministry outside of the church. I’m wondering if this normal. All of it unpaid and mostly unplanned. I have tried to plan it but it doesn’t seem to work as well as the spontaneous leading of the Spirit. I am wondering if anyone else is feeling like a time is coming where ministry will take place primarily outside of a Church?

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, I have had a strong calling to the ministry for 9 years. For some reason it has never worked out within a Church. I have done more ministry outside of the church. I’m wondering if this normal. All of it unpaid and mostly unplanned. I have tried to plan it but it doesn’t seem to work as well as the spontaneous leading of the Spirit. I am wondering if anyone else is feeling like a time is coming where ministry will take place primarily outside of a Church?
Welcome to CF! I can not speak to what a ministry entails all I know is if you have the gift to spread the Gospel, God will open those doors for you. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟36,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
There will always need to be both.
Within the church, we minister to one another for the edification of the body.
Whatever you are doing outside the church serves as a witness to the world.
You may just be underestimating how important your words and work toward
your fellow saints are when they come from the Throne.
Ministry outside of the church often also finds us outside our comfort zone, and we
see Christ working through us as we look to Him for strength.
It could just be time to step outside of your comfort zone within the church.
Here is where we meet the Lord's strength, working with the rebellious! :)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The church is the collective body of believers around the globe, and not a organization claiming to be followers of Christ with folks attending only on Sundays for a light show with some sing a longs, and a feel good message within a big building (while certain folks in that building who attend do not live for Christ throughout the rest of the week and or are not aware of what His Word says for themselves).

Ideally, when trying to reach the lost: We should go out two by two. But I believe we are living in the last days as per 2 Timothy 3:1-9 and it hard to find those who want to seriously follow what our Lord taught. All we can do is do what we can with what the Lord provides for us. If we find fellow believers who are truly faithful to the Lord in wanting to follow Him and not themselves, it is good that we fellowship with them if we can and if it is in the Lord's will and timing. In my experience, I have only found two friends who appear to be passionate in truly wanting to make the Lord the focus of their life.

Most Christians I have encountered believe they can sin and still be saved on some level (Which only shows we are living in the last days with the “falling away” having already started).

• Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Lol, most of us who belong to him, I would guess. Why not just do what needs done? What's wrong with unpaid and not particularly structured?

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Zion Princess, first off, since I see that you are a new member, WELCOME TO CF :wave:

We can certainly minister to those within our local churches (as there are MANY things that need to be accomplished in every church), we can join one or more of our church's outreach programs, and/or we can join a parachurch ministry of some sort (which include things like prison ministries, inner city ministries, and missionary organizations like Campus Crusade for Christ/Cru, the Navigators, Wycliffe Bible Translators, etc.).

We are called to witness to all, of course, from family members, friends and co-workers, to others all around the globe, so having a ministry that is not part of your local church is hardly an unusual thing.

God bless you!

--David

1 Thessalonians 5
23 May the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body
be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

Reactions: Summer Reyes
Upvote 0

Marc Munday

May 28, 2021
Melbourne
✟8,009.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

• Matthew 10:8 (KJV)
    Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
You are doing awesome sister there is many ways to minister and doing it freely is the best way as you have reward in heaven.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It sort of begs the question, "What constitutes ministry?" Is is strictly saving souls or can it be other things...a nurse volunteering at a free clinic...a Dentist on a mission trip to Haiti, the prison cook, a lawyer willing to work pro bono, giving gloves to the homeless? I believe ministry can be done in many vocations or avocations depending upon one's motivation for what one is doing. It's more of a mindset than a job. I have always considered my vocation as a psychotherapist and treatment program administrator a calling and ministry. My Christianity is part and parcel of what I do and why I do it.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What type of ministry? The church should be equipping the saints for the work of the ministry. Church should be practice and filling believers so they can go out into their community and do and pour out.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wonder whether something like pastoral care in a hospital might be a good fit for you, OP? And is at least an example of a "normal" ministry that's not within a church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟767,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wonder whether something like pastoral care in a hospital might be a good fit for you, OP? And is at least an example of a "normal" ministry that's not within a church.
This is a great point! There are lots of outside ministries that could work in this case but still be in the "fold" of a organization. An organization can be important as it helps the new believer have a base to work with, a group to grow along with.

Prison and troubled youth ministries are others that comes to mind.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟867,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is great. All are to work together for the gospel, not just ministers. Everyone has the opportunity to minister in their context.

Philippians 1:27 Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel

For instance, In Acts 9 we read of the ministry of Tabitha who made clothing for widows.

36 At Joppa there was a certain disciple named Tabitha, which is translated Dorcas. This woman was full of good works and charitable deeds which she did. 37 But it happened in those days that she became sick and died. When they had washed her, they laid her in an upper room. 38 And since Lydda was near Joppa, and the disciples had heard that Peter was there, they sent two men to him, imploring him not to delay in coming to them. 39 Then Peter arose and went with them. When he had come, they brought him to the upper room. And all the widows stood by him weeping, showing the tunics and garments which Dorcas had made while she was with them. 40 But Peter put them all out, and knelt down and prayed. And turning to the body he said, “Tabitha, arise.” And she opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter she sat up. 41 Then he gave her his hand and lifted her up; and when he had called the saints and widows, he presented her alive. 42 And it became known throughout all Joppa, and many believed on the Lord. 43 So it was that he stayed many days in Joppa with Simon, a tanner.

In Matthew 25 Jesus speaks of the sort of ministry that will characterize those who inherit the kingdom.

31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You're a woman, so, you're not called to be a Pastor.
This could be your confusion, as if you are trying to be in "that" call, then you are not pursuing what you feel is your call, correctly.

The understanding you have, is that you are called "outside" the Church "walls".
So, that is correct, yet, you can minister inside the walls as a Teacher, as a Evangelist, as a Missionary, as a Deacon, ......just not as a Pastor, as this "call" is male only.

Notice this verse......>"The Pastor/Bishop must be the """HUSBAND of one WIFE".

So, unless you are in a Gay church situation, then you can't be a "Husband of one wife", if you are a female.
Tho, in a Homosexual church situation, they'll let you do it.
And in a un-scriptural denomination, where the bible isn't their authority, you can be their Pastor.

Here is the thing about being of a call that is not a Pastor.
The most famous one of those wrote most of the New Testament.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're a woman, so, you're not called to be a Pastor.
This could be your confusion, as if you are trying to be in "that" call, then you are not pursuing what you feel is your call, correctly.

The understanding you have, is that you are called "outside" the Church "walls".
So, that is correct, yet, you can minister inside the walls as a Teacher, as a Evangelist, as a Missionary, as a Deacon, ......just not as a Pastor, as this "call" is male only.

Notice this verse......>"The Pastor/Bishop must be the """HUSBAND of one WIFE".

So, unless you are in a Gay church situation, then you can't be a "Husband of one wife", if you are a female.
Tho, in a Homosexual church situation, they'll let you do it.
And in a un-scriptural denomination, where the bible isn't their authority, you can be their Pastor.

Here is the thing about being of a call that is not a Pastor.
The most famous one of those wrote most of the New Testament.
While this is not an uncommon view, it is just flat out untrue and not biblical. Don't listen to it.

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While this is not an uncommon view, it is just flat out untrue and not biblical. Don't listen to it.

It what Paul teaches as Church Doctrine.

Let me explain.
All that the body of Christ understands as "church doctrine", came from Paul.
Such as..
How to start a Church.
How to choose a Deacon.
Why to teach "doctrine".
How to choose a Pastor.

And the qualification, that has to be in effect is for the person to be considered...is to be a "husband of one Wife".
So, that does not include a woman, as a choice to be a Pastor, According to the New Testament.

So, when you are not familiar with NT Doctrine, nor abide by it, as your final authority, then you say what you just said, which is in line with how the world would want to full a pulpit.
Do you also teach that "gays" in the Pulpit, is ok ?
How about Transgenders?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It what Paul teaches as Church Doctrine.

Let me explain.
All that the body of Christ understands as "church doctrine", came from Paul.
Such as..
How to start a Church.
How to choose a Deacon.
Why to teach "doctrine".
How to choose a Pastor.

And the qualification, that has to be in effect is for the person to be considered...is to be a "husband of one Wife".
So, that does not include a woman, as a choice to be a Pastor, According to the New Testament.

So, when you are not familiar with NT Doctrine, nor abide by it, as your final authority, then you say what you just said, which is in line with how the world would want to full a pulpit.
Do you also teach that "gays" in the Pulpit, is ok ?
How about Transgenders?
I'm not arguing with you about this. I know the scriptures just fine, clearly better than you. I've studied it extensively and with the entirety of scripture in mind and Paul does not teach what you are suggesting he is teaching. There is a reasonable, biblically sound, scripturally complete basis for women in ministry leadership. And, no, I don't teach that "gays" in the pulpit is ok because there is not an equivalent for that. However, I'm not going to give what is holy to the dogs nor cast my pearls before swine on this topic with you. I put it out there for the OP to consider and if she wants to know more she is welcome to PM me.

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not arguing with you about this. I know the scriptures just fine, clearly better than you. .

Apparently you have no idea.

There were no female pastors in the NT.
Not One.
Perhaps you should get a NT and find this out for yourself.
So, this idea of women pastors is a "worldly" concept, that is based on rebellion against the word of God.

Are you deep into "social justice" as well?
How about "globalism", and "no borders" "no countries", just all "citizens of the world".
Did i tag you again?

So, you forgot to tell us if you believe that Gays and Transgenders, should also be a "Pastor" in your church?

Should the Forum members accepts your dodge of the Question 2x, as your "YES"...topher694??

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Apparently you have no idea.

There were no female pastors in the NT.
Not One.
Perhaps you should get a NT and find this out for yourself.
So, this idea of women pastors is a "worldly" concept, that is based on rebellion against the word of God.

Are you deep into "social justice" as well?
How about "globalism", and "no borders" "no countries", just all "citizens of the world".
Did i tag you again?

So, you forgot to tell us if you believe that Gays and Transgenders, should also be a "Pastor" in your church?

Should the Forum members accepts your dodge of the Question 2x, as your "YES"...topher694??
Read again bub, I did answer the question, and the answer was no... oops, I guess your intended insults jumped the gun.

For the record I'm 100% AGAINST all the social justice crap, globalism, no borders and citizens of the world... but your eagerness to go there reveals a whole lot about your motivations.

I also stated that I did have sound biblical backing, which you just (unsurprisingly) ignored.

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read again bub, I did answer the question, and the answer was no... oops, I guess your intended insults jumped the gun.

For the record I'm 100% AGAINST all the social justice crap, globalism, no borders and citizens of the world... but your eagerness to go there reveals a whole lot about your motivations.

I also stated that I did have sound biblical backing, which you just (unsurprisingly) ignored.

Dont call me "bub". Dont use that term for any Christian you converse with on a Christian forum.
Consider you are on a christian forum, so.... present behavior that isnt the same that you use with your family, around the house, or in your church.
Got that, topher694??
Make sure you do.

Also, you said that Gays dont quality, but what about Transgenders?
You left that group out.
Is there a reason you did?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a reasonable, biblically sound, scripturally complete basis for women in ministry leadership. .

The NT is the biblically "sound" doctrine that teaches specifically that a pastor has to be the "husband of one wife".

If you need me to teach you the meaning of "Husband", as found in the BIBLE, im here to help.
Just let me know.

Upvote 0