Calling all worship bass players

joeyc143

Feb 6, 2013
✟7,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone. Just wanted to start a thread where all of us worship bassists can get together. How do you like it? How often do you serve? What do you do in your free time? How long have you been playing? Etc...

I'll start. I love to serve, been doing it for around 5 years. Been playing bass (both upright and electric) for around 11 years. I study philosophy in college and I like to read, play video games, practice bass stuff, listen to music in my free time.

Alright, looking forward to hearing from some fellow bassists out there. See ya.

Reactions: Chuck Kear
S

seeking Christ

The Marcus Miller, that's a Fender right? I haven't looked at gear in a while and never even heard of John East or Nordstrand. My Fender is a '79 P bass, the year known as the coffee table. Heavy as possible. Bought it to route it out and put in a PJ combo, EMGs. Let people talk me out of that and installed them in a beater that I turned into my fretless; plays almost as good as the Pedulla fretless, just one spot on the neck on one string that I couldn't get quite right. My 5 string is the Pedulla Rapture I fell in love with at a music store, and then bought off Flea bay 1/2 price in new condition many years later.

I also have an acoustic, but its still a bass guitar. I was wanting to get an electric upright, but needed this instead for a specific band, now defunct. Never did play upright

Upvote 0

5stringJeff

Aug 17, 2005
GA
✟9,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm a former bass player. I played in two churches, one in Seattle and one here in GA. When we started attending my current church, they already had two bass players, so I'm teaching Sunday School instead.

I play a Schecter Custom-5. I've got an Ashdown 4x10, which I love, although at my last church, I played through their Line6 amp.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jessiemusical

Jesus is Lord!
Jan 6, 2006
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
✟686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello! I'm a bass player and I played at my old church for about 6 years, then I stopped for 2 years... now I am playing bass again at my current church since there is no bass! I love 5 string basses and loooove jammin'! I studied music when I was in the university, besides studying international affairs.

Upvote 0

thunderbyrd

Dec 26, 2005
Frankfort, ky
Visit site
✟1,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hello, i'm the bass player for our P&W team. i played guitar with them for awhile, but the need came for bass, so i jumped on it. i have a lot more fun on bass than i did guitar.

i have presently a fender american deluxe jazz bass but i'm planning on getting a P-bass as soon as i sell a certain guitar i have. i LOVE the precision bass!

i actually injured my fretting hand playing guitar, i can play bass just fine but i can't even play a simple D chord on guitar without pain.

Upvote 0

Typoe99

Mar 12, 2006
Oak Lawn, IL
✟7,756.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, My name is Tim. I have been playing bass for I think about 5 years now, not very good at it though haha, but learned to play it to play on my churches worship team. I now lead our saturday night worship playing bass and singing. I love it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

samjazz

Apr 3, 2014
✟15,157.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone. Just wanted to start a thread where all of us worship bassists can get together. How do you like it? How often do you serve? What do you do in your free time? How long have you been playing? Etc...

I think having this thread is a great idea. I am also a member of talkbass, which is a fantastic resource, but because of its secular nature, frank discussion of matters of faith are not really encouraged, even within "The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club" forum.

So anyhoo, I am a guy, 56 years old, who started playing electric bass about three years ago. I was at a Guitar Center with my son, who plays for the Praise and Worship team, and I felt a compulsion (Holy Spirit whisper in my ear?) to purchase an instrument. After about a year of practicing at home, I had an opportunity to play with and for some youths at a youth ministry at church, but boy was I shaky. One day, I asked the worship leader at my church (he was also the bass player) if I could play sometime, thinking that he would never give that up. Boy was I wrong, he said, "I've been waiting for you to ask!" It turns out, he wanted to focus on guitar which is easier for him to lead worship with and had no bass players available. And well, for the last two years, I've been playing every service since (unless I am not in the area).

Upvote 0

jmcorn

Praise and Worship Bassist
Apr 2, 2014
South Carolina
✟7,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just found this thread. I am 42 years old and also a member of talkbass. Count me in.
I have been playing bass for around 5 years now and have loved every minute of it.

It all started for me when I visited my mom and dad's and sisters new church. They had a guitarist, keys and drums. After attending about a month, God placed on my heart to buy a bass. So i did. I learned at home with a dvd for 3 months and joined the team at church and haven't looked back. Since then it has became a hobby and a passion.

My favorite rig is my Fender American dlx jazz 5 with an Ampeg SVT-II and SVT 810e. At church I use an Eden 810 with a WT800. My small portable rig is a genz streamliner 600 with a berg AE212.

Upvote 0