Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"All blessings come by obedience to law"
Doctrine and Covenants 130
18 Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.

19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.

20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessing sare predicated—

21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.
Doctrine and Covenants 130

In Romans 11:1–2 Paul outlined God’s relationship with the seed of Abraham. What did Paul mean when he said that God “foreknew” His people? Paul also indicated that some people were chosen in Christ “before the foundation of the world” (Ephesians 1:4). This statement suggests that many were called in the premortal world and chosen to receive special blessings contingent upon their faithfulness. These special blessings assume at least two dimensions.
First, wrote Elder McConkie, “this election to a chosen lineage is based on pre-existent worthiness and is thus made ‘according to the foreknowledge of God.’ (1 Pet. 1:2.)” Elder McConkie explained that “to bring to pass the salvation of the greatest possible number of his spirit children the Lord, in general, sends the most righteous and worthy spirits to earth through the lineage of Abraham and Jacob. This course is a manifestation of his grace or in other words his love, mercy, and condescension toward his children.” (Mormon Doctrine, p. 216.) Thus, those born into the lineage of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob have through the centuries heard the testimony of prophets, had access to the sacred scriptures and ordinances, and been at the forefront of the work of God upon the earth. (See Harold B. Lee, in Conference Report, Oct. 1973, pp. 7–8; or Ensign, Jan. 1974, p. 5.)
    1. Second, “as part of this election, Abraham and others of the noble and great spirits were chosen before they were born for the particular missions assigned them in this life” (McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, p. 216). Doctrine and Covenants 138:56 indicates that the noble and great ones “received their first lessons in the world of spirits and were prepared to come forth in the due time of the Lord … for the salvation of the souls of men” (see also Abraham 3:22–23; Jeremiah 1:4–5).
      Doctrines of the Gospel Teacher Manual Chapter 19: Eternal Life
Grace? Is God's grace a blessing?

2 Nephi 25
23 For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
2 Nephi 25
23 For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.

Mormons try to come up with new explanations for this obvious verse, but those new explanations don't hold water.

Click here: Context!

Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.
Book of Mormon, Moroni 10:32

I've always wondered which Mormons have denied themselves of all ungodliness.

D&C 82
10 I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.

“There will be a wise and just God to sit in judgment on all men. … The wicked may prosper for a time, the rebellious may seem to profit by their transgressions, but the time is coming when, at the bar of justice, all men will be judged, ‘every man according to their works’ (Rev. 20:13). No one will ‘get by’ with anything. On that day no one will escape the penalty of his deeds, no one will fail to receive the blessings he has earned. Again, the parable of the sheep and the goats gives us assurance that there will be total justice.”
Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 304–305

Not so long ago:
“The gospel teaches us that relief from torment and guilt can be earned through repentance.”
Boyd K. Packer, The Savior’s Selfless and Sacred Sacrifice, Ensign, April 2015

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
D&C 130
18 Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.
19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.
20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—
21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

It's simply the law of consequences;

Matt 5
6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

The law irrevocably decreed in heaven is that if you want to obtain mercy you must be merciful to others.

If my desire is to attain a greater knowledge of the scriptures I can't just let them sit there on the table, I have to open them up and read them, pray about them. I have to "and open the door" Rev 20:3 As I do the Lord will bless me with a greater knowledge and understanding of them.

Let's say the principle of love and real charity is what we want to attain. How do I go about working on obtaining that principled? I go out an live it, I find ways to serve. I become a foster parent, I work at the soup kitchen, I mow the old lady's lawn. I pay my full tithing and then some. I do it without fanfare and without expecting anything back. It's a principle of learning love.

What if I want to attain the principle of forgiveness, how do I obtain that. First I need to stop collecting rocks, my pockets are full enough. I think about the people who have hurt me in some way, I turn my pain over to Christ. I begin to understand that they are God's child too and that God love them as much as he loves me. I try to understand what their pain is and perhaps heal them by trying to find ways to serve them if that is possible. I had to forgive someone once I had to pray very hard about it, the Lord showed me that this person was mental ill, only then I could have compassion for her.

The object is to become more Christ like, to learn heavenly attributes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
God can bless us for showing mercy. He can also bless us if we fail to show mercy. Do you pray for God to bless your enemies and believe that He can do that?

Lamentations 3
22 It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
23 They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

Do you believe that your enemies have to obey a specific law in order to receive a blessing?

Do you believe that anyone can be righteous and obedient enough to deserve the Mormon idea of exaltation/eternal life?

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God can bless us for showing mercy. He can also bless us if we fail to show mercy. Do you pray for God to bless your enemies and believe that He can do that?

Lamentations 3
22 It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
23 They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

Do you believe that your enemies have to obey a specific law in order to receive a blessing?

Do you believe that anyone can be righteous and obedient enough to deserve the Mormon idea of exaltation/eternal life?
Surely after all this time of trying to understand Mormonism you know the answer to this. We all have the potential. You have the potential to reach the highest of eternal opportunities. In order for enemies to reach the highest they need to repent and follow the restored gospel and partake of all the blessings God has made available by obedience. Each law we obey has a specific blessing attached to it. For example when I live the law of tithing I get the blessings that are attached to that law. I wouldn't get the blessings that are attached to thou shalt not covet.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matt 5:45 "He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." What laws are these attached to? How come the unrighteous also are blessed with sun and/or rain?
Really?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'll take that as a no, you cannot answer the question.
In this life we are given the opportunity to choose good over evil. If we choose good God blesses our lives. F we choose evil God cannot bless our lives. Do we choose the sun to shine on us? Do we choose to have the rain rain on us? Just as the sun can bless our lives as well as those who choose evil the sun can also not bless our lives by things such as droughts. This spring in the west we had to much rain which drowned thousands of acres of hay which I took a great loss as well. It's called life. God doesn't say to himself I think I will cause FATBOYS problems this year. God certainly can control the weather and the elements but he doesn't punish us by causing weather to punish or bless us. We can through pray ask him to stay the weather or hold off but that is done through our faith. Other than that it is life as it continues on its natural way. We have to learn to deal with it. Not always can we influence these changes through prayer because our will should go up against the will of the Father. He has a plan but it can be adjusted. Same ending results.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In this life we are given the opportunity to choose good over evil. If we choose good God blesses our lives. F we choose evil God cannot bless our lives.

God can bless whoever He chooses to bless. Each person on this planet comes short of the glory of God. He heals the sick and sometimes that person is an atheist or an adulterer. Food is a blessing. Not all Buddhists or Hindus are starving.

Do we choose the sun to shine on us? Do we choose to have the rain rain on us? Just as the sun can bless our lives as well as those who choose evil the sun can also not bless our lives by things such as droughts. This spring in the west we had to much rain which drowned thousands of acres of hay which I took a great loss as well. It's called life. God doesn't say to himself I think I will cause FATBOYS problems this year. God certainly can control the weather and the elements but he doesn't punish us by causing weather to punish or bless us.

How do you know?

We can through pray ask him to stay the weather or hold off but that is done through our faith. Other than that it is life as it continues on its natural way.

How do you know?

We have to learn to deal with it. Not always can we influence these changes through prayer because our will should go up against the will of the Father. He has a plan but it can be adjusted. Same ending results.

God is not a man who needs to adjust his plan. He already knows the outcome of every plan He has made.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God can bless whoever He chooses to bless. Each person on this planet comes short of the glory of God. He heals the sick and sometimes that person is an atheist or an adulterer. Food is a blessing. Not all Buddhists or Hindus are starving.

How do you know?

How do you know?

God is not a man who needs to adjust his plan. He already knows the outcome of every plan He has made.
Really? What was Gods plan when he first thought about creating us?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Really? What was Gods plan when he first thought about creating us?

His plan is to redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.