• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Call no man Father??

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Markie Boy, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Markie Boy

Markie Boy Looking East, Moving Slow Supporter

+390
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    A little help please. Jesus says "Not to call anyone on earth father" - what is it Jesus it telling us?

And how does calling a priest father fit in this?

Thank you and God Bless

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Well-Known Member

+2,058
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
  3. Lukaris

Lukaris Orthodox Christian Supporter

+841
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I think we are not to abuse the name of God the Father just as we are not to abuse the name Lord God. Both are attached to mortals as titles but are not distorted with their divine nature.

4. Markie Boy

+390
    United States
    Christian
    Married
  5. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+10,631
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    St Paul tells the Corinthians that they do not have enough fathers. no clearly just the word itself is not the issue.

6. Lukaris

Lukaris Orthodox Christian Supporter

+841
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Also the Lord Himself applies the words “father” & “lord” to mortals in Luke 16.

7. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+10,631
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    plus, all those times Abraham is called "Father."

8. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+5,988
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Check out 1 Corinthians 4:15 - even Paul referred to himself as father of the Christians in Corinth

9. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+5,988
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    He also said to call no man teacher or instructor. Considering that 1 Corinthians 12:28 says that some are called to be teachers. Galatians 6:6 refers to instructors. God is our true father, teacher and instructor. The Pharisees were leading people away from God. The fathers, teachers and instructors here should lead people to God.

10. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+4,028
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I have always had trouble with Matthew 23. Oftentimes, Jesus would speak to "the multitudes" in parables, and then to his disciples in private to explain the meaning. Matthew 23 begins, "Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples,". Does this mean he spoke to the multitudes and to his disciples at the same time, or does it mean "Jesus spoke to the multitudes and then to His disciples," as is the case in other places.

There are several reasons I have trouble with the whole thing. First, Jesus said "do not be called ‘Rabbi’; for One is your Teacher, the Christ". But "the multitudes" would not have been called "rabbi" at all, and it would have been strange for Jesus to tell them not to be called rabbi, simply because they weren't rabbis. If he was speaking to the multitudes in general, then turned to his disciples and said that to them it would make more sense.

Jesus goes on to say, "Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven". It was common at the time to refer to a senior rabbi as "father". My question is did Jesus say that to the multitudes, or only to his apostles? If he said it to his apostles, it would be a form of placing them in authority, as in "do not call anyone father because there are no rabbis who are senior to you".

And then, "do not be called teacher". I have trouble with the original language of that. I do not speak Greek, so I'll leave that to those who do, but something just doesn't seem right about it.

According to Paul, it was acceptable for converts to refer to him as "father". He refers to himself as father to the Corinthians:

1Co 4:15 For though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

So in the end, I think Jesus said to his apostles:

1. Call no man father...
    2. Call no man teacher...

But that's just my two cents.

11. Knee V

Knee V It's phonetic.

+1,159
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    The long and short of it:

The Pharisees claimed that since Abraham was their ancestor ("father"), they were therefore justified before God.

To correct them, Christ tells them that their ancestry cannot save them. "Call no man father" is like telling them "do not rely on your geneology".

12. Markie Boy

+390
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Best answer I have ever heard!!! Thank you!