Californians fed up with housing costs and taxes are fleeing state in big numbers

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I guess it comes down to priorities.
I have driven on the I-5, and flown into Ontario airport twice. For us, we would never trade the rural area we live in, no matter how nice the smog, I mean weather is.
I drive 45 minutes to work and go through 3 stop signs, not a single traffic light. I usually see more deer than I do vehicles early in the morning.
Another perk that keeps a lot of the riff-raff from living here is the 40 below temps in the winter.:oldthumbsup:

• Haha
Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I lived in CA for over 30 years and left it for WA about a decade ago. If my husband and I become wealthy, maybe we would consider moving there. I love CA; however, real estate is dangerously overvalued and it is way too expensive to have a family there and live how I want to live. Eh, it is probably better as a vacation spot.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,043.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I lived in CA for over 30 years and left it for WA about a decade ago. If my husband and I become wealthy, maybe we would consider moving there. I love CA; however, real estate is dangerously overvalued and it is way too expensive to have a family there and live how I want to live. Eh, it is probably better as a vacation spot.

What part of WA? Seattle is starting to rival SF and LA for being to expensive to live.

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
What part of WA? Seattle is starting to rival SF and LA for being to expensive to live.

Lol, I'm in the Seattle area and I don't think it is that bad. The rental rates/ home prices are rising quickly now, but they haven't reached the heights of ridiculousness that I've seen in the Bay Area, LA or Orange county.

I couldn't buy a detached house, with remotely comparable square footage, for what our home is worth, in the parts of Cali I am familiar with.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Small very old houses in the San Diego getto starting at around 300 thousand.
I wouldn’t want to live there.

Although we did live there when I was a little boy. Most of those houses cost around 10 grand back then.

I got mine 30 years ago.
Prices were still fair.
If both worked.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,043.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Lol, I'm in the Seattle area and I don't think it is that bad. The rental rates/ home prices are rising quickly now, but they haven't reached the heights of ridiculousness that I've seen in the Bay Area, LA or Orange county.

I couldn't buy a detached house, with remotely comparable square footage, for what our home is worth, in the parts of Cali I am familiar with.

No, it is not as bad as Cali but it is certainly not somewhere you can live on a meager salary. I know some young people looking to buy who can't afford it even though they are both professionals with decent incomes.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's kind of been going on for a while, they have been migrating to the south and southwest for years, decades even. It caused some problems in Colorado when I was there, one representative was actually recalled because of gun control laws.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know some young people looking to buy who can't afford it even though they are both professionals with decent incomes.

To buy a decent house in Southern California a couple probably needs a combined income a little over $100,000 a year and what kills a lot of young couples wanting to buy homes is that they already have two big car payments.

When I was young I did not drive the best cars but, I bought my first house when I was 25.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
No, it is not as bad as Cali but it is certainly not somewhere you can live on a meager salary. I know some young people looking to buy who can't afford it even though they are both professionals with decent incomes.

Honestly, whenever people say that it usually means they can't afford what they want, where they want it. Less desirable parts of the city are slowly gentrifying & that is where a young couple should buy. Not really sure what "decent" income means. Young couples tend to be very cash poor, between school debt & car debt.

There are plenty of places to buy, but the areas where the young professionals congregate are extremely competitive due to low volume. My BIL & SIL just overpaid for a small bungalow because they had to have a certain neighborhood.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,043.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
To buy a decent house in Southern California a couple probably needs a combined income a little over $100,000 a year and what kills a lot of young couples wanting to buy homes is that they already have two big car payments.

When I was young I did not drive the best cars but, I bought my first house when I was 25.

M-Bob

My wife and I were lucky in buying our house. We bought at the bottom of the bubble bursting so our middle class income got us into a decent place. The problem here in Seattle is that prices are rising so fast younger people can't save enough to get ahead of it. It's great for those of us who own but it is driving people out of Seattle into less expensive areas. This increases commute traffic and other issues.

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,043.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, whenever people say that it usually means they can't afford what they want, where they want it. Less desirable parts of the city are slowly gentrifying & that is where a young couple should buy. Not really sure what "decent" income means. Young couples tend to be very cash poor, between school debt & car debt.

The median home price in Seattle is $722K. That means to put 20% down you need $144K. Very few people have that kind of ready cash available. Doing a search in MLS on homes in Seattle under $425K (the amount most banks will loan someone making $100K a year) I find 18 homes. That is a very small supply and homes are going for more then they are listed.

There are plenty of places to buy, but the areas where the young professionals congregate are extremely competitive due to low volume. My BIL & SIL just overpaid for a small bungalow because they had to have a certain neighborhood.

According to everything I have read the inventory of available houses in the Seattle area is low and the demand is high. Do you have a source for you claim of plenty of places to buy?

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
The median home price in Seattle is $722K. That means to put 20% down you need $144K. Very few people have that kind of ready cash available. Doing a search in MLS on homes in Seattle under $425K (the amount most banks will loan someone making $100K a year) I find 18 homes. That is a very small supply and homes are going for more then they are listed.

According to everything I have read the inventory of available houses in the Seattle area is low and the demand is high. Do you have a source for you claim of plenty of places to buy?

I would say inventory within Seattle is low and very expensive. The areas in commute range to Seattle? Significantly more inventory and less expensive. You can find smaller homes - bungalows or cottages, 2-3 bedrooms and 1 bath, for less than 425k. Like I said, look for a gentrifying area & a good lot size that will hold value. They are good starter homes. There are some in the Burien area that borders Seattle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would say inventory within Seattle is low and very expensive. The areas in commute range to Seattle? Significantly more inventory and less expensive. You can find smaller homes - bungalows or cottages, 2-3 bedrooms and 1 bath, for less than 425k. Like I said, look for a gentrifying area & a good lot size that will hold value. They are good starter homes. There are some in the Burien area that borders Seattle.
I'm guessing that Point Roberts, Washington - up by Boundary Bay near Vancouver - would likely be a less expensive area to live! :)

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,043.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

That I would agree with to a certain extent. I understand that Lynwood and Puyallup are starting to edge up in price as well. If you are willing to take the ferry you can certainly find some good deals on the other side of the water. Downside of course being the long commute. I had a friend who had a two hour commute because she lived in a unfortunate location. It all comes down to what you are willing to sacrifice.

Upvote 0