Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
California to Provide Free College by Taxing Millionaires

Assemblyman Susan Eggman (Democrat) has proposed a plan to cover the cost of tuition and fees at California public colleges by imposing a new 1% annual tax on household incomes of greater than or equal to $1 million.
Eggman claims that the new 1% tax on millionaires will generate a state income of approximately $2.2 billion each year. She didn’t say if this figure factors in the households that will leave the state or find other ways to reduce their income to avoid paying yet another new tax
Warren Buffet would be proud. :doh:

• Informative
Reactions: brinny

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Assemblyman Susan Eggman (Democrat) has proposed a plan
Thread title misleading.

According to the link:
"This bill has to be approved by two-thirds majorities in both houses of the California state legislature. If that happens, then the measure goes before the voters for final approval."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
California to Provide Free College by Taxing Millionaires

Assemblyman Susan Eggman (Democrat) has proposed a plan to cover the cost of tuition and fees at California public colleges by imposing a new 1% annual tax on household incomes of greater than or equal to $1 million.
Eggman claims that the new 1% tax on millionaires will generate a state income of approximately $2.2 billion each year. She didn’t say if this figure factors in the households that will leave the state or find other ways to reduce their income to avoid paying yet another new tax
Warren Buffet would be proud. :doh:

So, not only is it immoral, it will drive college tuition costs up further.

Good job California.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So, not only is it immoral, it will drive college tuition costs up further.

Good job California.
Sounds like a good reason to cap costs, or deaccredit "for profit" tertiary training.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I feel so disoriented in these college discussions.

The only reason some people are so desperate to "go to college" is that they believe it'll help them not to end up in the gutter.

I'm for the availability of all forms of education and training to people interested in them -- liberal education, medical, circuit design, auto repair, whatever -- and think said programs should be considered a public good, available to all and paid for with public resources.

As long as "college" is a thing where people go and fearfully stagger through some of the prime years of their youth in hopes of not ending up homeless...I'm not so much for expanding access to it, since I expect that expanding access to it in fact does cause bloat and irresponsible behavior on the part of (many, not all) employees of these institutions. But I don't agree with most people who would say that. I guess since I'm also for some form of (liveable) basic universal income, it makes sense to me.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's nice to see some concern for the economic welfare of wealthy Hollywood liberals. George Clooney and Ellen DeGeneres will appreciate it. Maybe Oprah will give you new cars. :oldthumbsup:
All our Usual Suspects make over $1 million a year, didn't you know?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It's nice to see some concern for the economic welfare of wealthy Hollywood liberals. George Clooney and Ellen DeGeneres will appreciate it. Maybe Oprah will give you new cars. :oldthumbsup:
I'm sure all three must be overjoyed to contribute more to help educate new viewers.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thread title misleading.

According to the link:
"This bill has to be approved by two-thirds majorities in both houses of the California state legislature. If that happens, then the measure goes before the voters for final approval."
In LaLa land, neither of those requirements looks likely to derail a proposal like this one that's based upon the idea of stealing from someone else so that I can have free stuff. The Founding Fathers worried about the "Tyranny of the Majority," but of course they didn't know that we'd have a living laboratory for such a thing in California.

And by the way, as soon as college is free of tuition and fees, you can expect the cost of both to rise dramatically and for other expenses to be created. That's what happened when the government got into the business of Pell Grants and loans, so this will be even more likely to produce that result. And each campus will naturally need to start building projects like crazy. Plus, California, which welcomes every illegal immigrant, even criminals, will certainly consider it unfair to prevent out of state students from moving to California in order to become in-state students.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
In LaLa land, neither of those requirements looks likely to derail a proposal like this one that's based upon the idea of stealing from someone else so that I can have free stuff. The Founding Fathers worried about the "Tyranny of the Majority," but of course they didn't know that we'd have a living laboratory for such a thing in California.

And by the way, as soon as college is free of tuition and fees, you can expect the cost of both to rise dramatically and for other expenses to be created. That's what happened when the government got into the business of Pell Grants and loans, so this will be even more likely to produce that result. And each campus will naturally need to start building projects like crazy. Plus, California, which welcomes every illegal immigrant, even criminals, will certainly consider it unfair to prevent out of state students from moving to California in order to become in-state students.
You'll get no argument from me on that...just pointing out it hasn't happened....yet. It'll be to their own detriment if they do. That whole left coast is a cesspool of ignorance.......

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You'll get no argument from me on that...just pointing out it hasn't happened....yet. It'll be to their own detriment if they do. That whole left coast is a cesspool of ignorance.......
I knew that. You just gave me the opportunity to throw in my own thoughts. ;)

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Heck, a million bucks is lunch money to some of those folks. Beyonce and Jay Z make that in 3 days.
Bill Clinton makes that in mere hours.
Winking_smiley.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0