Visit site
✟16,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Californians! I was counted among your number once, when a wee young'un.

Say I was, hypothetically speaking, to spend a week traveling from Los Angeles to the Oregon border. Say I am interested mainly in national parks and historic attractions. What ought I to see? :wave:

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Howdy!!

I don't know much about SoCal, but you have to see Yosemite Valley; Sutter's Fort and Old Town in Sacramento; San Francisco, focusing on North Beach, Fisherman's Warf, Chinatown, and the bridges; and the Redwood Highway, or 101 north from Ukiah.

I don't know how you could do any of it justice in a week, though!

Upvote 0

PoundingMetal

Apr 18, 2007
✟15,420.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I highly recommend the Trees of Mystery. A fantastic go-at-your-own-pace tour/hike of some of the most astonishing trees God has made. At the end of the hike is a ride up to a platform at the summit to a fantastic view of the forrest and to the ocean.

http://www.treesofmystery.net/

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I highly recommend the Trees of Mystery. A fantastic go-at-your-own-pace tour/hike of some of the most astonishing trees God has made. At the end of the hike is a ride up to a platform at the summit to a fantastic view of the forrest and to the ocean.

http://www.treesofmystery.net/

Another attraction at the Trees of Misery...er..uh...Trees of Mystery (sorry...I lived about two miles away from the place in 1987-89, and it was a local 'in' joke!) is the Native American museum there. It's awesome....better than the Trees, IMHO!! This building is several thousand square feet filled with Native American artifacts. Definitely, a must see...

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The drive alone would be amazing. It is in fact one of my dream vacations. I know you prefer parks, but Hearts Castle is fascinating. And the surrounding area of San Simeon is absolutely beautiful.

Er...uh...that would be Hearst Castle. We knew what you meant, though! :D I just didn't want the OP doing Google searches for Hearts Castle.

MsAnne is absolutely correct about the San Simeon area, though. That area is about the farthest south I've really been (except for one trip to Malibu...but I was too busy in the fire camp to notice much about the area! ;) ) I've spent a few weeks in the San Luis Obispo/Morro Bay area, and it really is cool. I especially enjoyed the tidal pools around Morro Bay. The Farmer's Market in SLO was pretty unique, too.

Reactions: MsAnne
Upvote 0

MsAnne

:)
Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
✟12,333.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Er...uh...that would be Hearst Castle. We knew what you meant, though! :D I just didn't want the OP doing Google searches for Hearts Castle.
Oh my goodness! That's what I get for posting when I'm half asleep. Thank you for the correction. I would edit it out, but then your post wouldn't make sense - ^_^

Upvote 0

HiredGoon

Old School Presbyterian
Dec 16, 2003
✟4,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the previous posters, and GrinningDwarf has some really good suggestions. Basically there's two main routes I would consider, either up the coast on Highway 1 (PCH) or up the Central Valley on 99, parallel to the Sierra Nevada range, making several side trips up into the mountains. In SoCal the historic sites mainly consist of the various Spanish missions, Old Town San Diego and Olvera St. in LA. The LA area has some pretty good museums. Death Valley is another possible place to see. Along the Sierras you have Kings Canyon, Seqouia, Yosemite, historic Gold Country, etc. And once is never enough for Yosemite. But this Sierra route would probably require more time than just a week. Really only one week is not enough to take in CA properly, but if that's what you're limited to, the coastal route would be your best bet.

Upvote 0

EdtheJesusfreak

Jul 17, 2005
Port Orchard, WA
✟389.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I grew up in San Jose. So, as soon as I had my first car I would take trips to nowhere. I would get on a highway and just go at it. Everyone is right, a week isn't enough. I had the convenience of making several 2-3 day trips and haven't seen everything I would like to. I highway 1 idea is great in southern California. It's the old El Camino Real and you pass through lots of cool towns as well as Pismo Beach, Santa Cruz and Monterey Bay. You can cut a lot of time if you cut around the Bay area via 680 to I-5 then cut back to 101. Highway 1 zig- zags a lot just north of Valleho (sp?) and can take half a day moving 5 miles north... definately not good for a 1 week trip, but a beautifaul drive. For Redwoods you can't lose on 101, particularly in Humbolt County. A great side trip is Yreka, just south of Oregon on I-5.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums