California bans seperate toy isles for boys and girls toys .

mario1001

Misfit
Jan 3, 2013
✟113,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This bill wasn't passed by either house of the California Assembly yet, much less signed by the Governor. So this is much ado about nothing.
i hope it doesn't pass it but this is California . So i won't be surprised when it does.EDIT "The legislation, which passed unanimously among council members on its first reading, also saw thousands of city's manhole covers transmuted into 'maintenance holes'. " So it already passed a council. It's just a matter of time.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i hope it doesn't pass it but this is California . So i won't be surprised when it does.EDIT "The legislation, which passed unanimously among council members on its first reading, also saw thousands of city's manhole covers transmuted into 'maintenance holes'. " So it already passed a council. It's just a matter of time.
The government is going to tell stores how they can stock their shelves? I don't think so.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The government is going to tell stores how they can stock their shelves? I don't think so.

Why not they are telling/controling them over other thing now.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I mean, having separate toy aisles is kind of dumb. In fact a lot of gendered products are dumb.

For one, very often the same products are being sold, the only difference in product is the packaging (and also quite often, the price).

pink-tax-razors-e1433957913471.png

Companies sell the same product to men and women, but market each differently because they make more money that way. Because products "for women" are often more expensive than products "for men".

I don't know what point would be served in making stores not have gendered toy aisles through state legislation; but in principle the whole gendering of toys--a sales tactic invented in the 20th century--is pretty stupid. Toys are toys.

The difference between a Barbie and a G.I. Joe is nil. Historically boys and girls both played with dolls, then dolls became marketed to girls, and when toy makers wanted to market dolls for boys they coined the term "action figure" as a marketing ploy.

At any rate, if de-gendering toy aisles is getting someone's underwear in a twist, then they should probably take a chill pill and start worrying about something actually worth worrying about.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Seems unlikely to me as well; also seems like a wasted effort. I think gendered toy aisles is silly as a matter of principle; but that's how stores and toy companies have sought to maximize profits for many decades now.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That would be a shame to lose the words "Man hole" for the next generation of kids to see daily walking to school.

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mario1001

Misfit
Jan 3, 2013
✟113,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seems unlikely to me as well; also seems like a wasted effort. I think gendered toy aisles is silly as a matter of principle; but that's how stores and toy companies have sought to maximize profits for many decades now.

-CryptoLutheran
Except that it already passed a committee council which is the first step to being a law. It's only a matter of time before it passes the whole assembly and gets signed.

Upvote 0

mario1001

Misfit
Jan 3, 2013
✟113,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would say leave politics out of this and let the stores organize their merchandise however they want. Whatever decisions the stores make, they are the ones dealing with the customers, not the government.

Unless the United States of America is a mixed economy, isn't this how capitalism works?[1][2][3]
  1. Definition of CAPITALISM
  2. Capitalism
  3. What Is Capitalism? - Back to Basics - Finance & Development, June 2015
As a Californian i can tell you first hand how this state is hurting and it angers me that this nonsense is what they're wasting time on. If I could afford to leave I would.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As a Californian i can tell you first hand how this state is hurting and it angers me that this nonsense is what they're wasting time on. If I could afford to leave I would.

Based on the news I have been reading, how can you afford to stay?

California exodus intensifies as retirees, teachers, musicians seek cheaper, less-crowded pastures

The California dream has been fading for a long time, and people have been voting with their feet.

In the last few years, the exodus has accelerated, with tens of thousands more people leaving than moving in.

The COVID-19 pandemic has prompted even more people to give up on the state, experts say. Some have retreated to their hometowns elsewhere because they lost their livelihoods. Others are taking advantage of working remotely to escape the state’s high housing prices and long commutes.

In the fiscal year that ended in July, Los Angeles County had by far the greatest net loss due to migration of any California county — more than 74,000 people, according to state demographers. Some moved to nearby areas with lower costs of living; others ventured farther or left the state altogether.

How California Became America’s Housing Market Nightmare

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

California, the land of golden dreams, has become America’s worst housing nightmare.

Recent wildfires have only heightened the stakes for a state that can’t seem to build enough new homes.

The median price for a house now tops $600,000, more than twice the national level. The state has four of the country’s five most expensive residential markets—Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Orange County and San Diego. (Los Angeles is seventh.) The poverty rate, when adjusted for the cost of living, is the worst in the nation. California accounts for 12% of the U.S. population, but a quarter of its homeless population.

Why California Keeps Making Homelessness Worse

Why California Keeps Making Homelessness Worse

On Tuesday, fifteen officials from the White House toured Skid Row in Los Angeles with the head of a local homeless shelter. “Four or five of them were from the Environmental Protection Agency,” Rev. Andy Bales of Union Mission church told me. “That’s because human waste flows into storm sewers.”

California is home to some of the world’s toughest environmental and public health laws, but skyrocketing homelessness has created an environmental and public health disaster. The 44,000 people living, eating, and defecating on the streets of L.A. have brought rats and medieval diseases including typhus. Garbage is everywhere. Experts fear the return of cholera and leprosy.

And homelessness is making people violent. “We are seeing behaviors from our guests that I’ve never seen in 33 years,” said Bales. “They are so bizarre and different that I don’t even feel right describing the behaviors. It’s extreme violence of an extreme sexual nature. I have been doing this for 33 years and never seen anything like it.”

Cost Of Living Index by State 2021

Cost Of Living Index by State 2021

The cost of living is defined as the amount of money needed to sustain a certain standard of living by affording basic needs such as housing, food, healthcare, and more. The cost of living is often used to compare how expensive it is to live in one location compared to another and is also used as a big factor for people to determine where they want to be located in addition to cultural attractions, the job market, and other factors. If you're planning on relocating, you'll want to considerd the overall best states to live in too.

The cost of living in the United States varies significantly between states. A large determining factor for the cost of living index is housing. For reference, the median rent for a two-bedroom apartment in the United States is $1,192 per month.

The cost of living index provides you with the percentage difference in the cost of living between one location and another. The percentage difference is always compared to 100; therefore, if the cost of living index is 90, it is 10% below the location it is being compared to. In this case, when comparing the cost of living index of states, 100 represents the U.S. average.

Figures in this article are from November 2020. Included is the average rent for a two-bedroom dwelling and the livable wage in each state.

The state with the highest cost of living index is Hawaii, whose index is 196.3. This means that the cost of living in Hawaii is 96.3% higher than the U.S. average. Hawaii's housing index is 336.3, where a two-bedroom costs about $1,895 per month, and the median home value is about $660,000. Groceries are also significantly more expensive in Hawaii since it is an island and most goods need to be shipped in. Hawaii's livable wage is $61,000.

The District of Columbia has the second-highest cost of living index of 161.1. The District of Columbia's housing index is 279.2, with an average rent price of a two-bedroom apartment going for $2,776 per month. The living wage in D.C. is $67,000, the highest in the country.

California has the third-highest cost of living index of 138.5. Behind Hawaii, California has the highest transportation index of 132.4, thanks to notoriously high gas prices (the highest in the country). The housing index is 196.5, with a two-bedroom apartment running at $2,495 and even higher in cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco. California's livable wage is $57,000.

Reactions: mario1001
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,134.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

-CryptoLutheran

Considering boys and girls typically have different likes and desires, why is it silly as a matter of principle? The only thing such a law could accomplish is to diminish apparent differences between the sexes. These activists don't want feminine girls or boys being masculine, they want complete equality regardless of internal preference from either sex.

I don't see how marketing toys to boys and girls respectively in order to make a profit is a bad thing.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I mean, having separate toy aisles is kind of dumb. In fact a lot of gendered products are dumb.

For one, very often the same products are being sold, the only difference in product is the packaging (and also quite often, the price).

pink-tax-razors-e1433957913471.png

Companies sell the same product to men and women, but market each differently because they make more money that way. Because products "for women" are often more expensive than products "for men".

I don't know what point would be served in making stores not have gendered toy aisles through state legislation; but in principle the whole gendering of toys--a sales tactic invented in the 20th century--is pretty stupid. Toys are toys.

The difference between a Barbie and a G.I. Joe is nil. Historically boys and girls both played with dolls, then dolls became marketed to girls, and when toy makers wanted to market dolls for boys they coined the term "action figure" as a marketing ploy.

At any rate, if de-gendering toy aisles is getting someone's underwear in a twist, then they should probably take a chill pill and start worrying about something actually worth worrying about.

-CryptoLutheran
The point is to make shopping easier for the customer.

If having gender related toy aisles is getting someone's underwear in a twist then they should probably take a chill pill...

Reactions: NotreDame
Upvote 0