Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MAGA-hat wearing teen claims California high school wouldn't permit her to wear hat

Her request to wear a different hat that bore school colors and supported the president was also reportedly rejected.
Mueller claimed that the school’s decision goes against her First Amendment rights, KCBS-TV reported. She questioned how “being a patriot in trying to show pride in your country” could be considered “inappropriate.”

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the school imposed a 'no hat wearing in general,' then why does this girl feel that the rule doesn't apply to her? Does she entitled and she's now mad because she was told no? I guess she wants to get some sympathy because she didn't get want she wanted. Poor girl. She didn't get to wear her hat.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
She was told "no hat wearing in general". Apparently hats are forbidden and she could have worn a maga shirt, for example.
your forgetting it’s the MAGA hat! It’s the American equivalent of that armband from the 30s/40s.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Excerpt: Teen is fighting to wear her MAGA hat to school: 'Since when is patriotism inappropriate?'

Kelly Avants, a Clovis Unified School District spokesperson, tells Yahoo Lifestyle that MAGA-themed clothing is fine, with the exception of hats.

“Our dress code policy contains general guidelines to support a learning environment free from distraction and that promotes a safe and welcoming environment on campus,” Avants tells Yahoo Lifestyle. “The district dress code allows for students to wear shirts or other clothing with a wide variety of sayings and/or political commentary. Unless causing an actual disruption on campus, MAGA apparel is acceptable, and this has been shared with the student.”

“The issue raised here is specific to a hat,” says Avants. “Both the district’s dress code policy and the school’s handbook lays out allowable headgear to be hats or caps with the school logo and or in solid school colors. There has never been a subjective evaluation of what language or logo is or is not on a hat, because the policy is straightforward in allowing only school hats or hats in solid school colors.”

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She sounds like a spoiled child. "If you don't let me wear my MAGA hat (even though wearing hats is against the school's dress code), then you're suppressing my First Amendment rights!" How dare her school try to enforce their dress code against this precious little Trump supporter! The nerve.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
She sounds like a spoiled child. "If you don't let me wear my MAGA hat (even though wearing hats is against the school's dress code), then you're suppressing my First Amendment rights!" How dare her school try to enforce their dress code against this precious little Trump supporter! The nerve.
Yep. People confusing supporting Trump, for patriotism. The MAGA hat is synonymous with Trump.

Upvote 0

Residential Bob

Dec 24, 2018
Ormond Beach
✟18,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
She was told "no hat wearing in general". Apparently hats are forbidden and she could have worn a maga shirt, for example.
Not really.

At that school district, students may not wear hats in classrooms and offices. Elsewhere on campus, they are allowed to, especially to shield their eyes in sunlight.

Teachers may ask her to remove her hat in class, but otherwise, she could wear it at the school.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Residential Bob

Dec 24, 2018
Ormond Beach
✟18,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The title of this thread should be: teen told to follow dress code. She's mad and is trying to make it seem political .

And now she's trying to milk it for all she can. She has a lot to learn about political activism and her approach now is making a mockery out of her efforts to draw attention to herself. I hope she learns she can be political without making herself look like a spoiled little child throwing a tantrum.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Excerpt: Teen is fighting to wear her MAGA hat to school: 'Since when is patriotism inappropriate?'

Kelly Avants, a Clovis Unified School District spokesperson, tells Yahoo Lifestyle that MAGA-themed clothing is fine, with the exception of hats.

“Our dress code policy contains general guidelines to support a learning environment free from distraction and that promotes a safe and welcoming environment on campus,” Avants tells Yahoo Lifestyle. “The district dress code allows for students to wear shirts or other clothing with a wide variety of sayings and/or political commentary. Unless causing an actual disruption on campus, MAGA apparel is acceptable, and this has been shared with the student.”

“The issue raised here is specific to a hat,” says Avants. “Both the district’s dress code policy and the school’s handbook lays out allowable headgear to be hats or caps with the school logo and or in solid school colors. There has never been a subjective evaluation of what language or logo is or is not on a hat, because the policy is straightforward in allowing only school hats or hats in solid school colors.”
Now we know the rest of the story. Remember just a month ago when Conservatives were shrieking about press outlets jumping the gun?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yep. People confusing supporting Trump, for patriotism. The MAGA hat is synonymous with Trump.
Yeah I was going to mentiin "patriotism" LOL That's like me claiming the kit I'm wearing in my profile pic is me being patriotic because I have the words "Patriots" and a Minute Man on it.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe she doesn’t want people looking at her chest. But the dress code is the dress code.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
your forgetting it’s the MAGA hat! It’s the American equivalent of that armband from the 30s/40s.
That may be true, but the dress code is clear about hats.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That may be true, but the dress code is clear about hats.
She has lots of photos of her waving a flag, posing next to political slogans and somewhere I read she wants to become a congresswoman.

I think she went over her school rules with a fine comb until she found a rule she could break while appearing reasonable and patriotic, and then she walked around until she made someone mad and then got into public news.

It reminds of that one boy who took apart a clock, took it to school, got in trouble because a teacher mistook it for a bomb and ended up as international news, milking it all the way.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She has lots of photos of her waving a flag, posing next to political slogans and somewhere I read she wants to become a congresswoman.

I think she went over her school rules with a fine comb until she found a rule she could break while appearing reasonable and patriotic, and then she walked around until she made someone mad and then got into public news.

It reminds of that one boy who took apart a clock, took it to school, got in trouble because a teacher mistook it for a bomb and ended up as international news, milking it all the way.

I agree that her whole fuss over not be allowed to wear her MAGA hat because of the school's dress code is her idea of a publicity stunt. Speaking as a veteran political activist myself, I think she has a lot to learn about being politically active and she's milking this story for all she can to get attention.

Upvote 0