Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
U.S.A.
✟56,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Valley? Which one? San Fernando, San Gabriel, Antelope? When I lived in North Hollywood we called the S.F. valley "The Valley". Funny up here we call it "Down below"

I live in Palmdale which is in the high desert of the Antelope Valley. I'm a California native. Second generation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BAChristian

Discerning the Diaconate. Please pray for me.
Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wisdom Seeker said:
I'm a California native. Second generation.
You're a rare breed. Most people, at least in the Bay Area, are transplants...

I bet transplants to natives is 5:1...

I plan to retire around 50 -- and I can guarantee you it won't be around here, that's for sure...

Upvote 0

~Wisdom Seeker~

INFP the Healer
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
U.S.A.
✟56,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've always wondered what the Sacramento area is like. Can you give me your personal observations? We're thinking of moving out of So. Cal. because of the prices, the climate and the over population and all that brings with it.

Would appreciate it if it wasn't too much trouble. Thanks.

W.S.

Upvote 0

~Wisdom Seeker~

INFP the Healer
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
U.S.A.
✟56,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BAchristian said:
You're a rare breed. Most people, at least in the Bay Area, are transplants...

I bet transplants to natives is 5:1...

I plan to retire around 50 -- and I can guarantee you it won't be around here, that's for sure...
I would put it closer to 40 to 1.

Yeah...I know what you mean. We're thinking of moving north. Possibly as north as Oregon. Got to get out of here. I mean...I love California. But it's hard to live here, especially with children. Plus...it's so expensive!!! :eek:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wisdom Seeker said:
The Valley? Which one? San Fernando, San Gabriel, Antelope? When I lived in North Hollywood we called the S.F. valley "The Valley". Funny up here we call it "Down below"

I live in Palmdale which is in the high desert of the Antelope Valley. I'm a California native. Second generation.
The San Joaquin Valey is THE valley... thank you very much :p

Upvote 0

elanor

Reunite Gondwanaland!
Nov 9, 2003
Left Coast
Visit site
✟16,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wisdom Seeker said:
I've always wondered what the Sacramento area is like. Can you give me your personal observations? We're thinking of moving out of So. Cal. because of the prices, the climate and the over population and all that brings with it.

Would appreciate it if it wasn't too much trouble. Thanks.

W.S.
Hello, Wisdom Seeker! :) What's Sacramento like? Well, the median price of a home here is Sacramento is about $240,000. There are more than a million people in the county, I think. And Time magazine named Sacramento the most diverse city in the country, beating out even LA and NYC. There are very large populations of immigrants from all over the world. The Russian/Ukranian population here is one of the largest (if not the largest) in the country. (I volunteer as an English as a second language tutor, so I love this aspect of the city.) Traffic is a bear, but I don't think you'd find it worse than southern California. It takes me about an hour to travel the 17 or so miles to work. There is crime, no doubt. It's worse in the poorer areas of town, but it's everywhere. Sacramento sits at the edge of the Sierra foothills, and on a clear day, you can see the mountains. From my house, I can be at the top of Donner Pass over the Sierra in just over an hour (assuming no traffic or snow). The fastest growing parts of the county are Folsom on the east and Elk Grove on the south. Also growing rapidly is the Roseville/Rocklin area on the north in Placer County. Obviously, all these areas attract people with more wealth, and are pricier. There are two beautiful, large rivers that cut through the city - the Sacramento River and the American River. There are lots of recreation areas around the rivers. It very nice, but also very dangerous. People always underestimate the speed and coldness of the water, and there are multiple drownings every year. :( Since you live in California, you're probably accustomed to heat. Summer temps are between 90-110. Winters usually run 45-65. Nights are colder, of course. We get valley fog that makes driving tricky, but not as bad as Modesto gets it. We get about 18" of rain/year. Not nearly enough to suit my tastes. One drawback to the area: respiratory problems. Most people who move here develop allergies, and asthma is common. I have both. It's a combination of pollution and pollen and agriculture. Sadly, we are paving over so much of our farmland and building to accomodate a rapidly growing population. It's awful! Agricultural land is disappearing like the rain forests. So there you go. Probably more than you wanted to know. :D There are some great churches here, by the way. :)

Coastie - I went to Thomas Downey High. (Go Knights!) How 'bout you?

And the San Joaquin Valley is the southern half of the Central Valley. The Sacramento Valley is the northern half. :)

Edit for typo!

Upvote 0