New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
Cain and Abel. Sibling rivalry. Culminating in murder.

Parents: do you foster rivalry between your children?

Why did God do that with Cain and Abel? It ended in fratricide. WHO DOES THAT? Why create such mischief?

The very first children born. Why did God screw it up right from the get-go?

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Why did God do that with Cain and Abel? It ended in fratricide. WHO DOES THAT? Why create such mischief?

I think it would be appropriate to put the blame on Satan here ;) And Cain too.

• Agree
Reactions: renniks
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I don't understand your point. Abel didn't rival with Cain.

You must remember that though the account focuses on two brothers, they weren't the only ones (Genesis 5:4). The events that took place between these two were written down as a lesson to us today, and we are to learn from it. If they presented an offering to God from their flocks and fields, then it must have been something they often practiced in time past. It is likely the climatic point of their deteriorating relationship that this account takes place, it doesn't follow that a one-time circumstance like this motivated someone to murder their brother (such close of kin!) unless they've long held a grudge against them.

God did no wrong. He accepted the pleasing offering from Abel, because he offered it in faith and with a good heart. Parents are not wrong to reward or praise one child for the good they do, while if the other didn't do so well that no praise is given. God even encouraged Cain after the fact.

• Agree
Reactions: A_Thinker
Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
G
I don't understand your point. Abel didn't rival with Cain.

You must remember that though the account focuses on two brothers, they weren't the only ones (Genesis 5:4). The events that took place between these two were written down as a lesson to us today, and we are to learn from it. If they presented an offering to God from their flocks and fields, then it must have been something they often practiced in time past. It is likely the climatic point of their deteriorating relationship that this account takes place, it doesn't follow that a one-time circumstance like this motivated someone to murder their brother (such close of kin!) unless they've long held a grudge against them.

God did no wrong. He accepted the pleasing offering from Abel, because he offered it in faith and with a good heart. Parents are not wrong to reward or praise one child for the good they do, while if the other didn't do so well that no praise is given.
Gramps played favorites and let the kids know. He stirred the pot. Wise parents and grandparents know better.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How so? Please explain.

God doesn't tempt people. James 1:13

"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:"

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What did God have to do with it ?

Adam and Eve had two sons. One performed well, the other didn't. That's a common situation.

The son that didn't perform well envied and grew angry at the son who did. God did intervene to personally warn Cain that his path forward was potentially murderous if he didn't get a handle on it. Cain disdained God's words and proceeded to kill his brother.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
G

Gramps played favorites and let the kids know. He stirred the pot. Wise parents and grandparents know better.
He didn't play favorites. He rewarded good performance. Is that a problem ?

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Who said God fostered rivelry between them? Where do you get that from scripture?

It isn't God who is screwing up people, it's people. God says love him and love other people but most don't follow those two principles. Just look around at the news or people that you know of. If they were actually following what God said to love each other you think most of what happens would be happening? People allow pride and greed to rule over them and those two things are at the centre of most sin.

Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
What did God have to do with it ?

Adam and Eve had two sons. One performed well, the other didn't. That's a common situation.

The son that didn't perform well envied and grew angry at the son who did. God did intervene to personally warn Cain that his path forward was potentially murderous if he didn't get a handle on it. Cain disdained God's words and proceeded to kill his brother.
The first person ever born gave God a gift. It wasn’t good enough. Imagine, your first grandchild gives you a gift. His/her countenance falls when you have not only disappointment, but also NO RESPECT for the fruits of his/her labor.

We are talking about God’s FIRST grandchild. If Cain wasn’t good enough for God, there is no chance that YOU will ever pass muster.

Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
God doesn't tempt people. James 1:13

"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:"
Just because James said it, don’t make it so. God tempted Adam and Eve, and then baited Cain against Abel. None of it was necessary or productive or loving.

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just because James said it, don’t make it so. God tempted Adam and Eve, and then baited Cain against Abel. None of it was necessary or productive or loving.

God commanded Adam and Eve to do good and Cain and Able also. I think you're confusing yourself somehow about who God is and what his nature is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cain and Abel were not God's grandchildren, they were the son's of Adam and Eve and had no grandparents at all.

Cain did not bring a gift to God like that, he did what he had been told to do while burning with resentment over it. Bit like someone going to church while wishing they were not there. Many times we give things that we don't want to be giving. We give because it's the law like taxes or we give because we have been taught it's the correct thing to do, but in our heart we don't want to be giving this money or time at all. We do it with resentment. This is why his 'gift' was rejected.

Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
God commanded Adam and Eve to do good and Cain and Able also. I think you're confusing yourself somehow about who God is and what his nature is.
God commanded Adam and Eve to not eat fruit from a tree which he placed for them to see. What PARENT does that? No-brainer.

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God commanded Adam and Eve to not eat fruit from a tree which he placed for them to see. What PARENT does that? No-brainer.

I love God, I don't judge him. I'm not sure what you are saying about God. Can you explain?

Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
Cain and Abel were not God's grandchildren, they were the son's of Adam and Eve and had no grandparents at all.

Cain did not bring a gift to God like that, he did what he had been told to do while burning with resentment over it. Bit like someone going to church while wishing they were not there. Many times we give things that we don't want to be giving. We give because it's the law like taxes or we give because we have been taught it's the correct thing to do, but in our heart we don't want to be giving this money or time at all. We do it with resentment. This is why his 'gift' was rejected.
How do you know this? Can you give me some scriptures that support this?

Upvote 0