Cable Management

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
image.jpg
Me again,

I was just wondering, in terms of cable management, what I can do better (bear in mind that there is not routing in the back of the case, because there’s no room.)

Currently, most of the cables protruding from the PSU are either stuffed beneath the optical drive (if not in use), routed through the second drive bay (the 20+4-pin), or not routed/hidden at all (the 4+4-pin). The front panel cables are either routed through the smaller drive bays (if they’re long enough), or under it. Thanks for the help.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
View attachment 294399 Me again,

I was just wondering, in terms of cable management, what I can do better (bear in mind that there is not routing in the back of the case, because there’s no room.)

Currently, most of the cables protruding from the PSU are either stuffed beneath the optical drive (if not in use), routed through the second drive bay (the 20+4-pin), or not routed/hidden at all (the 4+4-pin). The front panel cables are either routed through the smaller drive bays (if they’re long enough), or under it. Thanks for the help.
It's actually fine. Don't do anything to impede air flow and don't actually do anything to strain the connections to the motherboard. I would leave it alone and close up the chassis and be happy.

Except I'd buy another stick of RAM. You will do it eventually. May as well do it sooner than later. You have plenty of room to manipulate the RAM in, which is good.

Every year or so open it up and check for dust. Blow it out (outside) as dust will be your worst enemy and cause temps to rise and the fans to run harder.

Good job.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It's actually fine. Don't do anything to impede air flow and don't actually do anything to strain the connections to the motherboard. I would leave it alone and close up the chassis and be happy.

Except I'd buy another stick of RAM. You will do it eventually. May as well do it sooner than later. You have plenty of room to manipulate the RAM in, which is good.

Every year or so open it up and check for dust. Blow it out (outside) as dust will be your worst enemy and cause temps to rise and the fans to run harder.

Good job.
Well I texted my computer guy and he said I should get the 12v off of the CPU

• Agree
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
For cheap cases like that, if I'm going to do something I'll usually zip tie the power supply cable to a screw-hole/slot near the drive bays. If you get part of the 12V into that bundle, it shouldn't matter if it's hanging over the heatsink, as long as it's not right against the fan. But if you can get it next to it instead (like just above the top) that's better. But don't stress.

My own home computer is really awful. I don't even have my M.2 SSD screwed in, and many of my drives are unscrewed, and my SATA SSDs occasionally are literally hanging by the cables.

So don't stress too much. Once the side is on (unless it's glass) you won't even notice.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is usually a space betweeen the panel the motherboard sits on and the actual side panel, and that is where most people run excess wire.

Does the panal come off the other side? If not the mentioned may not be possible in this case (pun intended :)).

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
There is usually a space betweeen the panel the motherboard sits on and the actual side panel, and that is where most people run excess wire.

Does the panal come off the other side? If not the mentioned may not be possible in this case (pun intended :)).
There is barely any room back there.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is barely any room back there.

Take a look at some of the pc assembly videos on youtube, and youll see what I mean. But if that side panel doesn't come off, yours is probably not going to support that type of management.

As mentioned a few ties, and youll be fine...I've seen a lot worse.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Take a look at some of the pc assembly videos on youtube, and youll see what I mean. But if that side panel doesn't come off, yours is probably not going to support that type of management.

As mentioned a few ties, and youll be fine...I've seen a lot worse.
It’s mATX, if that helps any. I’m just concerned about it getting too hot. There’s some sort of sound going on that I can only compare to a boiling tea kettle. After a Safari search, I’m pretty sure it’s coil whine from the heat sink, or the fan. The pc was also pretty loud when I first installed Windows.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It’s mATX, if that helps any. I’m just concerned about it getting too hot. There’s some sort of sound going on that I can only compare to a boiling tea kettle. After a Safari search, I’m pretty sure it’s coil whine from the heat sink, or the fan. The pc was also pretty loud when I first installed Windows.

You look fine as far as over heating goes...you'd need a lot of stuff blocking the air flow before it would substantually affect the temperatures. Just make sure nothing directly covers any of the fans.

On the noise, just stop the fan for a second, and that will tell you whats not making the noise, but you are probably correct in that is is just the fan, as those are the only mechanical parts in there. I use my fingers to stop it, but that's just me, and a second or two won't hurt the cpu at all, but dont go much more than that.

If this is your first build, congratulations on just making the effort, it'll really pay off in ths long run.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You look fine as far as over heating goes...you'd need a lot of stuff blocking the air flow before it would substantually affect the temperatures. Just make sure nothing directly covers any of the fans.

On the noise, just stop the fan for a second, and that will tell you whats not making the noise, but you are probably correct in that is is just the fan, as those are the only mechanical parts in there. I use my fingers to stop it, but that's just me, and a second or two won't hurt the cpu at all, but dont go much more than that.

If this is your first build, congratulations on just making the effort, it'll really pay off in ths long run.
You don’t think it might be cool whine? It’s a cheap AMD processor, which I heard are notorious for noise

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
You don’t think it might be cool whine? It’s a cheap AMD processor, which I heard are notorious for noise

I've never had a problem with an AMD heatsink fan under normal conditions (ie idle, or general use, not gaming). But like Kenny said, if you stop it for a moment you'll quickly find out what's causing it.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I've never heard of a processor whine, and Ive used Amd for the last 20yrs.

Is it an Amd Ryzen? If so, these are now giving Intel a run for the money, and not really considered cheap, not these days anyway.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I've never heard of a processor whine, and Ive used Amd for the last 20yrs.

Is it an Amd Ryzen? If so, these are now giving Intel a run for the money, and not really considered cheap, not these days anyway.
It’s an AMD A-Series Black Edition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok, I was wondering if you had an APU, since I saw no graphics card. My recent build is an AMD Ryzen, but I still have my, older, not Ryzen APU PC with the built in video, and it was a great machine, but I ended up adding a graphics cardnanyway, however, you can do a lot with the APU's onboard graphics.

Not sure if the Blsck edition is an AMD Ryzen cpu, or not.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Ok, I was wondering if you had an APU, since I saw no graphics card. My recent build is an AMD Ryzen, but I still have my, older, not Ryzen APU PC with the built in video, and it was a great machine, but I ended up adding a graphics cardnanyway, however, you can do a lot with the APU's onboard graphics.

Not sure if the Blsck edition is an AMD Ryzen cpu, or not.
image.jpg

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I like to use black zip ties every 4-6 inches in places and saddles that use foam tape attaching them to flat surfaces. I try and run cables mostly in straight lines and together where possible making sure to keep them at a distance away from heat sinks and fans. A trick I use is to initially not pull the cables completely tight till you got the all the wires close to where you want them to run so you can pull individual wires tighter or loosen them to get the bundle where you want it. In places where you know that you will need to move the cables now and then you can use twist ties on them instead. A double wide set of ties can look better than a single twist tie. I've also used solid 12 gauge house wire to wrap around stuff and tie off one end to some structure.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I like to use black zip ties every 4-6 inches in places and saddles that use foam tape attaching them to flat surfaces. I try and run cables mostly in straight lines and together where possible making sure to keep them at a distance away from heat sinks and fans. A trick I use is to initially not pull the cables completely tight till you got the all the wires close to where you want them to run so you can pull individual wires tighter or loosen them to get the bundle where you want it. In places where you know that you will need to move the cables now and then you can use twist ties on them instead. A double wide set of ties can look better than a single twist tie. I've also used solid 12 gauge house wire to wrap around stuff and tie off one end to some structure.
I don’t think my case has enough holes to do all that. Plus my cables seems very short compared to the ones in my gaming pc

Upvote 0