Survivor
Mar 1, 2002
California
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi everyone :)

I want to switch from dialup internet to cable internet. Does anyone have any ideas on what provider I should possibly go through being I am from the Los Angeles area..any suggestions anyone? Aside from checking the phone book I thought someone here may have some ideas...My non-computer sorry self could use some help here...
Thanks!

also I would like to add I don't like aol...

Amie~

kaotic

Learn physics
Sep 22, 2002
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by amie
Hi everyone :)

I want to switch from dialup internet to cable internet. Does anyone have any ideas on what provider I should possibly go through being I am from the Los Angeles area..any suggestions anyone? Aside from checking the phone book I thought someone here may have some ideas...My non-computer sorry self could use some help here...
Thanks!

also I would like to add I don't like aol...

Amie~

Since i am not from there, i would just have to say that you should talk to your cable company.

Upvote 0

GodBoy809

Servant of Christ
Jul 5, 2002
Northwest Georgia
✟3,402.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
AOE_FAN are you aware of how much more expensive T-1 is, and you cant get it to personal PCs. Those connections are for bussiness and schools and stuff. Any way, most cable modems from my area are up there and are almost faster that T-1. I get 1.4MB a sec with my modem, and the normal T-1 gets about 2MB a sec.

Anyway, Sorry Amie, i dont live there, If you lived in the part of Georgia that i do I'd tell you Comcast cable Internet, cus thats what i use.

Upvote 0

kaotic

Learn physics
Sep 22, 2002
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by GodBoy809
AOE_FAN are you aware of how much more expensive T-1 is, and you cant get it to personal PCs. Those connections are for bussiness and schools and stuff. Any way, most cable modems from my area are up there and are almost faster that T-1. I get 1.4MB a sec with my modem, and the normal T-1 gets about 2MB a sec.

Anyway, Sorry Amie, i dont live there, If you lived in the part of Georgia that i do I'd tell you Comcast cable Internet, cus thats what i use.

Yeah GodBoy809 is right t1 is really expensive

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by GodBoy809

It's very expensive, but a T1 plugs into a router, just like a cable line plugs into a cable modem. You could, if you really wanted, hook it up then to a plain old PC. I don't see why anyone would bother, but it's doable.

Upvote 0

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think in general, cable is faster than DSL, unless you get like business DSL.

T1 is like $500 a month or something crazy like that.

/me sighs... paulewog can't get DSL or Cable... no cable and far, far away for DSL (27k feet)..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Go for a T-3. ;) hehe

Seriously, do check with your cable provider to see if they have service to your area for cable internet. Though I have also heard very good things about DSL, which you'd have to check with your phone company about. (DSL is through the phone company, isn't it?)

A phone/cable company may provide the faster internet service...but your area might not be ready for it. Like around here, the phone company offers DSL...but my boss who lives practically in the middle of no where can't get it because the phone company doesn't offer DSL in HER area.

So it's good to check. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodBoy809

Servant of Christ
Jul 5, 2002
Northwest Georgia
✟3,402.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by AngelAmidala
Go for a T-3.
DSL is through the phone company, isn't it?

Ok, i mean, i see that that may have been a non-serious comment, but T-3 is gonna be about 3 times as much as t-1,however, it would be a lot better. and yes DSL is threw the phone line; but they give you this niffty filters to put on the phone jacks to allow you to talk on the phone while on the internet.

Upvote 0