✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lewis was not Catholic.
Many of his close friends and colleagues were Catholic. Many people have converted to Catholicism because of him, such as Walter Hooper, an Anglican Preist.
Many people speculate that had he lived longer he would have converted.

~Adam

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
ATShavuot said:
Would anyone recommend reading anything by him?
(I am compiling a Christimas List)
Two of my favorite books of His were Mere Christianity and the ScrewTape Letters. Both are of great value and offer excellent insight.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
CS Lewis describes himself (in the intro to Mere Christianity) as being non-denominational

Actually...

mere christianity said:
I am a very ordinary layman of the Church of England

taken from the preface to mere christianity

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I recommend any of Lewis works, they are great. He was an atheist, whom converted to christianity. He was an Anglican layman, but his thinking is very similar to Catholic thinking, and I am sure that if he had lived longer he would have either converted to Orthodoxy or Catholicism.

Upvote 0

hannabl

Dec 8, 2004
Göteborg
✟8,655.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I've read some parts of "Mere Christianity" and it's great, especially in times of doubt or when others are bugging you for being a Christian. Well, to me it is, I'm still having problems with my faith, it's not strong enough.

Other books I like is "Out of the Silent Planet" and "That Hideous Strength: A Modern Fairy-Tale for Grown-Ups", though I'm not finished with the last one.

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I really like Lewis' works, but it is important to be aware that he was an Anglican. Some Anglican points of view are evident in his writings. As I recall, he saw denominationalism as no big deal. Lewis seemed to think that choosing a church was something like a matter of taste or a matter of fit. That is definitely an Anglican way of thinking, the sort of fuzzy Protestant idea of a completely invisible, spiritual, unknowable Church.

Otherwise Lewis is very strongly conservative and almost Catholic in his thinking.

I recommend his writings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Battie

Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Northern Virginia
Visit site
✟9,989.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength) is excellent. If you want to read some of his fiction I would hightly recommend it.

Till We Have Faces is a beautiful retelling of the story of Cupid and Psyche (thought it's really about her sister Orual).

Both of these works are wonderful and are too often overlooked.

Upvote 0
J

Jamme

Maximus said:
I really like Lewis' works, but it is important to be aware that he was an Anglican. Some Anglican points of view are evident in his writings. As I recall, he saw denominationalism as no big deal. Lewis seemed to think that choosing a church was something like a matter of taste or a matter of fit. That is definitely an Anglican way of thinking, the sort of fuzzy Protestant idea of a completely invisible, spiritual, unknowable Church.

Otherwise Lewis is very strongly conservative and almost Catholic in his thinking.

I recommend his writings.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Maximus again.
:doh:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.